The Student Room Group

Muslims:are you allowed to date

I know dating is haram in Islam, but some families will be less strict/conservative than others. By dating I mean dating by western standards, not what some Muslims might see as dating(meeting up in presence of mahram before engagement.)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also can you say your age aswell
Don't be daft. That would be fun / haram.
Reply 3
Bump
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I know dating is haram in Islam, but some families will be less strict/conservative than others. By dating I mean dating by western standards, not what some Muslims might see as dating(meeting up in presence of mahram before engagement.)

My mum will be annoyed, but at the end of the day, she knows I've been talking to girls because I went to a mixed-sex school, whereas my sisters went to a same-sex school. I don't think she would be overly pissed off if I told her I have a girlfriend, because my cousin (who is a Hafeez) had a girlfriend before (has a new Indian girlfriend now), and my cousin's parents are even stricter, and my mum treats me differently. Maybe she knows she can't control my actions, I'm very stubborn, and she knows that. But I definitely know she would kick my sisters out if they had a boyfriend.
Depends on the person really. I know of one girl who is very religious but shes had a few serious boyfriends...

Some muslims will spout the usual "it's haram!!!!1!! ASTAGHS!" but at the end of the day religion is how you interpret it to be.
Reply 6
I have never dated but majority of my friends were/are dating and most of them are hijabis.Some got married to the same guy,some broke up.Its more of a personal choice now.Moreover traditionally,marriages are arranged in my society and now a days its difficult to find appropriate matches,so the parents are kind of okay with their kids dating as long as they know that the next step would be getting married but ofcourse you can't generalize this.
Original post by philipp.lahm
I am in a similar situation. Basically, I'm atheist and I kinda like a London-born hijabi Muslim girl at my uni. She kinda shows signs of interest and she's okay with spending time one-on-one with me IN UNI only and we've done that twice, each time lasting up to 1 hour. When we text, she sends me massive texts like more than 12 lines. Whenever I ask her out elsewhere, she either has excuses or wants to bring her friends along. Plus, she invited me to her WhatsApp group chat! :frown:
I'm very confused... Am I misinterpreting her non-verbal cues and am I in her 'friend zone'? Should I ask if she sees me as 'just a friend'?

Friendzoned.
almost every muslim i know have no problem with dating
Reply 9

My friend has a haute Muslim GF, who roams around in so-called 'revealing' clothing. Personally, I feel western Muslims are too dogmatic. :frown:
Haha dating banned wow hahaha
Reply 11
Original post by Placeboo123
Haha dating banned wow hahaha

I suppose you'd be surprised to hear that unrelated Muslim males and females aren't supposed to be friends either.
Original post by Groot
I suppose you'd be surprised to hear that unrelated Muslim males and females aren't supposed to be friends either.

Thats non Mahram, not unrelated.

like you said, its haram so technically, no. but you know what happens when you tell a kid not to eat a sweet? yep, that's right, they eat it..
interpret that how you will :smile:
I am in a similar situation. Basically, I'm atheist and I kinda like a London-born hijabi Muslim girl at my uni. She kinda shows signs of interest and she's okay with spending time one-on-one with me IN UNI only and we've done that twice, each time lasting up to 1 hour. When we text, she sends me massive texts like more than 12 lines. Whenever I ask her out elsewhere, she either has excuses or wants to bring her friends along. Plus, she invited me to her WhatsApp group chat! :frown:
I'm very confused... Am I misinterpreting her non-verbal cues and am I in her 'friend zone'? Should I ask if she sees me as 'just a friend'?

I think she does like you but she isn't taking the next step because of her religion. Also, don't ask her if she's friend zoned you! That would be awks!
Original post by Spandy
My friend has a haute Muslim GF, who roams around in so-called 'revealing' clothing. Personally, I feel western Muslims are too dogmatic. :frown:

Although I can't Judge that girl based on her clothing, it really does spoil the image of what Islam is really about. Females in Islam are seen as diamonds that are supposed to be treasured and protected for the one (the one being your husband). The reason being is that women are precious and respected in Islam. if somebody gave you a sweet which one would you take? The one with the wrapper on it, or the one without the wrapper? Similarly, women in Islam must save themselves and remain pure until the time of marriage (as does the husband).

I am a western Muslim who has never dated and I certainly don't wear reveling clothing. I do these things willingly as I have self respect. I don't want to be looked at in inappropriate ways and I'd rather leave the drama of dating.
Allowed only if there is another person, that you cant have relationship with, is present to keep watch.
Really?! But isn't it also a sin to spend time alone with me in uni? I'm so confused 😖 What should I do? Should I tell her how I feel cos I haven't yet?

Oh yeah that's true. Maybe she's afraid of her family members finding out? In uni, her family aren't present so she's not afraid of them finding out. I'll tell you one thing, even though Muslims aren't allowed to do certain stuff, some Muslims go ahead and do it anyway, no ones perfect are they? The only thing I think she'd be afraid off is her parents finding out.

Your right, this is very confusing! I'm not sure about that😁

Sorry I can't help you with that

Yes,
We are allowed at least 5 dates

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Groot

Haha it's funny and scary at the same time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending