The Student Room Group

Can i do a maths degree?

So i have always loved maths, but for a few months before i chose my a levels i wanted to be a surgeon, and further maths is not much of an attribute if you want a medical degree. I also figured, as maths and further maths are classed as overlapping subjects, further maths may not be that beneficial if i wanted to do a degree in another subject.

I am now studying as level:
Maths
Chemistry
Biology
English Lit
General Studies (but that doesn't really count for much)

I really love maths and am strongly considering doing a degree in it, if i can. Some of the uni's that i've looked at require further maths (york, UCL) but some don't state is as an entry requirment (Manchester, Oxford, St Andrews (?) ). Even still, it would obviously be beneficial to have further maths, so would it be pointless to apply to uni's without it, even if they don't require it?

My GCSE grades were good, and so far my mock results for AS have been good, i just feel like i am massively disadvantaged by not having further maths. I would love to pick it up next year and do it for AS, but a lot of courses are becoming linear and i heard after this year you can't drop subjects after AS (don't know if this is true) meaning i couldn't pick it up.

Basically what i want to know is, is it realistic to aim for a maths degree without having done further maths? And what universities would not require further maths?
Reply 1
Original post by dialemforemily
I really love maths and am strongly considering doing a degree in it, if i can. Some of the uni's that i've looked at require further maths (york, UCL) but some don't state is as an entry requirment (Manchester, Oxford, St Andrews (?) ). Even still, it would obviously be beneficial to have further maths, so would it be pointless to apply to uni's without it, even if they don't require it?

My GCSE grades were good, and so far my mock results for AS have been good, i just feel like i am massively disadvantaged by not having further maths. I would love to pick it up next year and do it for AS, but a lot of courses are becoming linear and i heard after this year you can't drop subjects after AS (don't know if this is true) meaning i couldn't pick it up.

The changes to A levels haven't abolished AS, it's just that your AS marks don't form part of the A level marks - but the changes won't affect Maths for another 2 years anyway. If you pick carefully then you can definitely apply to read Maths but it would help your application enormously if you took AS Further maths next year.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest