The Student Room Group

Asking old tutors for references for PGCE

I have to provide academic references for my PGCE applicatiom but I graduated nearly 5 years ago so I feel so...awkward I guess, about having to ask. I mean I got along well with my tutors but Im not sure if they will even remember me now!
Has anyone else had this problem/situation??
Original post by LoriKate
I have to provide academic references for my PGCE applicatiom but I graduated nearly 5 years ago so I feel so...awkward I guess, about having to ask. I mean I got along well with my tutors but Im not sure if they will even remember me now!

I graduated 3 years ago and felt weird about asking. Luckily I was one of only two students my tutor had for our 4th year projects so he did remembered me. But I still started my email with "It's been a while so I hope things are well for you. If you don't remember me I graduated in 2012 and did my 4th year project with you on...." and then went on to explain what I was applying for and would he give me a reference.

I did make a point of explaining that UCAS requests one reference to be from a University to talk about academic potential etc, just in case he was wondering why I was asking.

It's completely normal. They provide references like this all the time.
University lecturers are frequently asked to provide references, so what we might perceive as a 'cheeky little email', doesn't faze them at all.

In fact, most of them are delighted to hear from old students and are more than happy to give you a helpling hand. If for some reason they can't (or won't) provide a reference, it's usually nothing personal and you simply thank them for their time and move on.

My lecturer was delighted to hear from me and assured me it was no problem. She even has some distinct draft references drawn up that she can use (and modify accordingly) whenever she is asked.
Reply 4
Thanks guys you have made me feel a little better about it :smile:
Reply 5
I was going to write in the email something like Im not sure if they will remember me, is this unnesecary?
I was going to write in the email something like Im not sure if they will remember me, is this unnecessary?

Yes. Just put your year of graduation.
I was going to write in the email something like Im not sure if they will remember me, is this unnesecary?

When I asked my tutor for a reference after graduating 4 years previously, I also included in the email a bit about what I'd done since graduating (my achievements, jobs etc) and my latest CV. I also explained what had led me to apply for a PGCE. I think providing some background can help the tutor write a more meaningful reference.
Reply 8
I messaged my tutor 2 days ago but no reply yet. How long did you guys have to wait for a reply?
I messaged my tutor 2 days ago but no reply yet. How long did you guys have to wait for a reply?

Anywhere from 24 hours to a week... so it's still early days.

You have to understand, university lecturers are incredibly busy people and no doubt have to attend to their own pressing concerns before getting back to you. Some lecturers may even be on 'Study Leave' for the semester and simply won't get your e-mail.

You should give it to the end of the week, then phone the university, asking if your chosen lecturer is currently at work. If the answer is yes, then some more patience will be required. If the answer is no, then have a back-up ready to go.
Reply 10
My tutor got back to me and was actually very lovely and helpful, and said she remembered me. You guys were right :smile: Dont know why I worried so much haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending