The Student Room Group

Opinions please! Audi RS7 or Merc CLS63?

I'm looking to downsize from a Range Rover sport V8 which I'm getting a bit fed up of (it's a nightmare to park, not the most agile and not the most reliable).

So, basically, I've been looking at the two cars above and intend to put down a deposit this week for summer delivery.

Both cars have a similar amount of power (the Merc has a bit more) but IMO the Audi looks better (esp. with those 21" blade rims) and has 4WD. Both of them are pretty much level in terms of fuel economy too. I can't choose between them!

I appreciate that they're both not really sports cars, but they're definitely more fun than any Range Rover.

This is going to be a considered purchase, obviously, so I don't want to make a decision that I'll regret down the line.

My question is this:

Which one appeals to you more?

Cheers!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Oh I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice regarding this on a student forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Oh I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice regarding this on a student forum

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I've done my research and am well aware of all of the "serious" stuff regarding these two cars. I just want to know what you guys think. After all, I'm of a similar age to a lot of you guys so....
(edited 9 years ago)
i would suggest a ford fiesta

cheap insurance premiums, very economic
Downsizing from a RR is not a top of the range Merc/Audi

Just get a Vauxhall Nova.

Or from your 2 options go for the Mercedes. Because Mercedes >
Reply 5
RS7, although I'd go for the RS6. RS Audi's just look better as Avants.
Original post by Most Competitive
But I've done my research and am well aware of all of the "serious" stuff regarding these two cars. I just want to know what you guys think. After all, I'm of a similar age to a lot of you guys so....

Have you had a test drive in both? If they're pretty much the same on paper, then just go for whichever one you "like the feel of" better.
Reply 7
I'm looking to downsize from a Range Rover sport V8 which I'm getting a bit fed up of (it's a nightmare to park, not the most agile and not the most reliable).

So, basically, I've been looking at the two cars above and intend to put down a deposit this week for summer delivery.

Both cars have a similar amount of power (the Merc has a bit more) but IMO the Audi looks better (esp. with those 21" blade rims) and has 4WD. Both of them are pretty much level in terms of fuel economy too. I can't choose between them!

I appreciate that they're both not really sports cars, but they're definitely more fun than any Range Rover.

This is going to be a considered purchase, obviously, so I don't want to make a decision that I'll regret down the line.

My question is this:

Cheers!

Personally, I'd go for the Audi. You won't notice the minute amount of power difference between the two, but you'll definitely notice the fact that the Audi looks better :wink:. I'm not a big fan of Mercedes though so I am slightly biased :tongue:.
Reply 8
This is actually a really hard decision but I'd go for the RS7 because it looks better and I believe its faster as well. I'd do my best to see if I could take the 'quattro' letters off the grill area as it makes the car look tacky.

When you buy either, fancy giving me a ride? :wink:

My question is this:

Cheers!

Personally the RS7, but thats cos I have really liked it and would meet my needs.

Have you also looked at the dimensions of the car's length, etc they both seem to be around the 4.9m mark.
Audi's - nice cars driven by ******s who don't know how to drive.

Merc's - They look nice.
Reply 11
Get a CLS63 and delimit it
Id get a BMW M4. End of.
Reply 13
Original post by Adipoptosis
Id get a BMW M4. End of.

So a car in the wrong class and manufacturer. Good job. What is it about making a choice between two cars that is difficult?
Original post by FXX
So a car in the wrong class and manufacturer. Good job.

Yeh well who wants a 4 door car anyway. And the people who drive Audis are ***** and the people who drive Mercs are too old.

I found the question's constraints too limiting.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tomtjl
Personally, I'd go for the Audi. You won't notice the minute amount of power difference between the two, but you'll definitely notice the fact that the Audi looks better :wink:. I'm not a big fan of Mercedes though so I am slightly biased :tongue:.

You're right about the power - both of them felt equally fast to drive (apart from the fact that the Audi is a monster off the line!). I've also managed to work out that the Audi does actually look considerably better than the CLS.

I'm definitely leaning towards the RS7 at the moment (it just seems to have more appeal) and it looks like I'll be ordering that on Wednesday unless I have a change of heart.
(edited 9 years ago)
What about the M6 Gran Coupe - its on tonight's Top Gear
Original post by Asklepios
Have you had a test drive in both? If they're pretty much the same on paper, then just go for whichever one you "like the feel of" better.

They felt more or less equally fast to drive (from a standstill the Audi was noticeably faster due to 4WD traction) but I recall that I liked both the interior and exterior of the Audi better than the Merc. From the responses on here and some general research, I've found that the RS7 definitely seems to appeal to people more. I think I might end up making my decision on that basis.
Gosh- how do you afford these cars?!
Original post by Adipoptosis
What about the M6 Gran Coupe - its on tonight's Top Gear

At the moment, £98k seems a bit steep compared to the low 80s price tags of the other two. However, let's see if Jeremy Clarkson and co. can justify the price difference on tonight's show. It's definitely a great looking car.

Quick Reply

Latest