The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Do you think there's point in me going to the accommodation open day? I've made Manchester my firm, and I've applied for accommodation (Sheavyn, Richmond, Woolton) and I've seen pictures of them and researched etc. But the journey is so far from London, and train tickets are kinda expensive. I don't mind the price or going, but only if it's worth it. Thoughts?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by drewsalexia
Do you think there's point in me going to the accommodation open day? I've made Manchester my firm, and I've applied for accommodation (Sheavyn, Richmond, Woolton) and I've seen pictures of them and researched etc. But the journey is so far from London, and train tickets are kinda expensive. I don't mind the price or going, but only if it's worth it. Thoughts?

IT's a 2 hour train.. you can go there and back in a day.

I think it's definitely worth it :smile: you can get really cheap tickets if you book in advanced and off peak time - I am travelling from Coventry and got a return for £15 (I have a railcard though too which is 30% discount)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
I think it's definitely worth it :smile: you can get really cheap tickets if you book in advanced and off peak time - I am travelling from Coventry and got a return for £15 (I have a railcard though too which is 30% discount)

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi! i've firmed manchester for french and japanese, and I also want to look at the accomodation open days, it would be cool to maybe go together or get a group of us to go together maybe from london and surrounding areas?
georgia :smile:
So where is everyone from?

I live near to Bristol and it takes 4 1/2 hours to get to Manchester on the train!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Teeahz

I live near to Bristol and it takes 4 1/2 hours to get to Manchester on the train!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Swansea! Sadly that means it takes anywhere between 5 and 5 1/2 hours, but it's well worth it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

I got an unconditional offer for MSc Communication Engineering. Is there anyone taking the same course?
What do you think about the electrical engineering department? I have got offers from Southampton, Birmingham, and Leeds. Is manchester the best choice?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Teeahz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wilmington, NC USA. Haha. It's going to be a long plane ride.
Original post by georgiaemilyaus
hi! i've firmed manchester for french and japanese, and I also want to look at the accomodation open days, it would be cool to maybe go together or get a group of us to go together maybe from london and surrounding areas?
georgia :smile:

Id be up for that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Teeahz

Posted from TSR Mobile

London so it's like a 2 hour train journey :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Usiman
Thanks :wink: Well I have already bought plane tickets and I'm now searching for a place to stay for 2 days. Should I write the University of Manchester to find out more about the interview? What they have written in their web page is quite clear actually.

There's a YHA hostel in town (fairly reliably clean, hospitable and cheap but not luxurious) or if you've got a bit more money you could stay at the uni's own hotel in Fallowfield (Chancellor's).

They're unlikely to give you any more info about the interview than what's on the website - they don't want to give anyone an unfair advantage.

Original post by Joseph.S
Hey guys. I wanted some advice on accommodation.

I'm not sure what accommodation to go for.

I wanted a corridor style accommodation. That's clean, shared catered/self-catered. I would like a lively area. i was thinking Fallowfields. I would prefer if it was modern?

Thanks!

Corridor style (as opposed to flat style) accommodation is invariably catered. In Fallowfield, that's a choice of Ashburne, Woolton or Owens Park. The first two are quite traditional, the latter is 1960s.

The most modern halls in Fallowfield are Richmond and Sheavyn, but they're both flat style, self catered halls.

If you feel happy with the choices you've made accommodation wise, there's no need to go to the open house. Only go if you feel you really want to have a look round.

Original post by Teeahz

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm originally from Bristol :five:, though as I went from Temple Meads it was only 3 hours by train to Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OmarZ
Guys its been almost one month and no offer yet /:

I sent my international fee assessment form towards the end of november and still not received an offer. But got an offer from Leeds less than two weeks after I applied, so I hope this is normal that it takes so long :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i have firmed university of manchester !my course with be management (international business economics)
Original post by andreaanton
Anyone firm for International Management 2015?:smile:
Got an offer- AAB- for Msci Earth Science. Thinking about firming- but still looking at other applicant days.
Original post by Origami Bullets

Corridor style (as opposed to flat style) accommodation is invariably catered. In Fallowfield, that's a choice of Ashburne, Woolton or Owens Park. The first two are quite traditional, the latter is 1960s.

The most modern halls in Fallowfield are Richmond and Sheavyn, but they're both flat style, self catered halls.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot, this was the type of thing I was look for. What do you mean by traditional?
Original post by Origami Bullets

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Is Fallowfield really the only ____ party area? I would like to be in accommodation with 'outgoing' people.
Thanks a lot, this was the type of thing I was look for. What do you mean by traditional?

Older buildings - Ashburne hall started at the beginning of the 20th century.

Thank you! Is Fallowfield really the only ____ party area? I would like to be in accommodation with 'outgoing' people.

You'll find some party people everywhere, but Fallowfield has the reputation for being the most party oriented

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've received an offer for Business Studies from Uni of Manchester. Worth taking? I'm from Ireland so cost a lot. Anyone know anything about the course I mightn't? It's hard to find out information about the universities in the UK from Ireland. The rankings vary quite a bit.
Reply 1518
i have an offer for BA economics and social studies and I recently went to the applicant day and I really enjoyed it their the staff are good and it is a student city also it has good reputation and employers would like that
Original post by 5@NA
i have an offer for BA economics and social studies and I recently went to the applicant day and I really enjoyed it their the staff are good and it is a student city also it has good reputation and employers would like that

Great to hear that!

Latest

Trending

Trending