The Student Room Group

IB Chemistry HL

Hello there!

I was wondering how hard Chemistry HL actually is, some of my friends say that it's one of the easiest subjects to get a 7 in and my other friends say it's impossible. Could you guys possibly tell me how hard it is to achieve a 7 in it? Please elaborate if you may.

So I´m only a Chem SL student and that´s difficult enough for me. It really does depend on whether or not you have flair for chemistry. I would only recommend it if you either need it for uni or are really good at it (and enjoy it).

At my school they always say that the most common reason that IB students fail their diplomas are math and science HL, but that may have changed since the IBO just changed the grade needed to pass a HL subject from 3 to 2.
Reply 2
Original post by Rikke1996
So I´m only a Chem SL student and that´s difficult enough for me. It really does depend on whether or not you have flair for chemistry. I would only recommend it if you either need it for uni or are really good at it (and enjoy it).

At my school they always say that the most common reason that IB students fail their diplomas are math and science HL, but that may have changed since the IBO just changed the grade needed to pass a HL subject from 3 to 2.

I was just wondering if you took GCSEs or the MYP/MYS programme; considering you find it difficult.

I've scored 7/7s (MYP/MYS) for all three terms which is equivalent to three A*s in Chemistry, do you think I would be able to cope with it?
Original post by Medukal
I was just wondering if you took GCSEs or the MYP/MYS programme; considering you find it difficult.

I've scored 7/7s (MYP/MYS) for all three terms which is equivalent to three A*s in Chemistry, do you think I would be able to cope with it?

I took physics and chemistry as a combined subject in the Danish school system (that´s compulsory from year 7 to 9), but I didn´t take chemistry in Pre-IB (year 10). My entire class finds chemistry difficult (at least all those that I have ever talked to about it), but that may partly be due to our teacher, cause we cannot all be stupid. Anw, got predicted a 5 in chem, but still hoping for a 6.

You seem to be doing great in chem, so I wouldn´t worry.
Reply 4
Original post by Medukal

My chemistry teacher said that students that receive A* in IGCSE usually get no lower than 5s if they put effort in. I would have to disagree with anyone who says that chemistry is an easy 7 - those people must be chemistry geniuses! Warning: the new syllabus 2016 onward is quite a bit harder (HL) and is a lot harder for SL students, its not as easy as it used to be - they purposely made it more difficult as they realised that the SL syllabus wasn't challenging enough. So be weary of anyone who says its easy, if they are taking their exams in May 2015 or have already taken their exams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by pbunny
My chemistry teacher said that students that receive A* in IGCSE usually get no lower than 5s if they put effort in. I would have to disagree with anyone who says that chemistry is an easy 7 - those people must be chemistry geniuses! Warning: the new syllabus 2016 onward is quite a bit harder (HL) and is a lot harder for SL students, its not as easy as it used to be - they purposely made it more difficult as they realised that the SL syllabus wasn't challenging enough. So be weary of anyone who says its easy, if they are taking their exams in May 2015 or have already taken their exams.

Are you taking Chemistry at HL or SL? and if so, do you find it hard?
Definitely isn't the easiest to get a 7 in when EVS and Math Studies exist :P However if you do enjoy chem then you should do fine on it though, just study the options and all the other stuff (I've forgotten it all since it was 3 years ago for me) but if it's something you can get your head around you'll be fine for it
Reply 7
Original post by Medukal
Are you taking Chemistry at HL or SL? and if so, do you find it hard?

I used to take HL but I don't anymore. I only did it for a month but it wasn't hard then but then again we were only doing moles :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by pbunny
I used to take HL but I don't anymore. I only did it for a month but it wasn't hard then but then again we were only doing moles :tongue:

But the thing is, I seriously don't know why the majority deem HL Chemistry as an impossible subject. Could you possibly tell what i'm in for? So I get the gist of the subject as a whole.

Thanks!
Original post by Medukal
Hello there!

I was wondering how hard Chemistry HL actually is, some of my friends say that it's one of the easiest subjects to get a 7 in and my other friends say it's impossible. Could you guys possibly tell me how hard it is to achieve a 7 in it? Please elaborate if you may.

Hi Medukal!

I'm in my last year of IB and I have a predicted 6 in HL chem. My first term I was on a 2 and I've really struggled and worked hard to get where I am! I basically studied chemistry everyday during every holiday. I find that the hardest topics are acids & bases and redox. Some people also find organic chemistry really difficult. Its just A LOT. But go for it if you're interested in chemistry! Keep in mind that the syllabus for 2016 is different from the current one and I've heard its more challenging.
Reply 10
Original post by Alice.Maria
Hi Medukal!

I'm in my last year of IB and I have a predicted 6 in HL chem. My first term I was on a 2 and I've really struggled and worked hard to get where I am! I basically studied chemistry everyday during every holiday. I find that the hardest topics are acids & bases and redox. Some people also find organic chemistry really difficult. Its just A LOT. But go for it if you're interested in chemistry! Keep in mind that the syllabus for 2016 is different from the current one and I've heard its more challenging.

Yes, it's definitely more difficult especially the standard level syllabus.
I'm in my second year of HL Chem; honestly yes it is very difficult. a lot of the content is from 2nd and even 3rd year university. Some parts are more straightforward than others, and it depends on the teacher. bear in mind there's a lot of content to get through in two years, and not an adequate number of teaching hours to explain the concepts thoroughly. However, If you're passionate go for it! Just don't expect high grades to begin with!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by elisemay
I'm in my second year of HL Chem; honestly yes it is very difficult. a lot of the content is from 2nd and even 3rd year university. Some parts are more straightforward than others, and it depends on the teacher. bear in mind there's a lot of content to get through in two years, and not an adequate number of teaching hours to explain the concepts thoroughly. However, If you're passionate go for it! Just don't expect high grades to begin with!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Considering i'm going to start IB this coming year; what pointers could you give me that could boost my chances of scoring a 6-7 for both my predicted grade and for my final grade (Externals).

Additionally, I'd love to ask you how many hours one should dedicate to studying Chemistry daily in order to score a 7/7 overall.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 13
Hey!

I think you should go for it if you're good at it and you're interested! I wasn't the best at Chemistry in GCSE but with a great teacher and a really interesting syllabus (imo), I've been doing well in it 6 months in!

I'm really not trying to brag when I say that getting a 7 isn't hard, I just find it A LOT more straight forward than Bio HL which is killing me right now. You've done really well in MYP, a 7 shouldn't be a problem for you.

Advice: Revise using the Oxford Study Guide, and go the extra mile on every practice IA!
Reply 14
Original post by CYsuxx
Hey!

I think you should go for it if you're good at it and you're interested! I wasn't the best at Chemistry in GCSE but with a great teacher and a really interesting syllabus (imo), I've been doing well in it 6 months in!

I'm really not trying to brag when I say that getting a 7 isn't hard, I just find it A LOT more straight forward than Bio HL which is killing me right now. You've done really well in MYP, a 7 shouldn't be a problem for you.

Advice: Revise using the Oxford Study Guide, and go the extra mile on every practice IA!

Cheers for the advice!

I began looking at the syllabus last week and still do till this very day; due to my interest, not am I only looking at what i'll be taking, but instead, I began studying despite the fact that i'm going to be starting next year.

One thing I realised is that it's pretty easy, but requires a lot of notice to details and whatnot, as one tinsy mistake could hinder your possibilities of getting a 7. Therefore, it requires a fair amount of studying.

And for my IA, I plan on getting it done this summer, with the guidance of a tutor obviously. Considering, I have finished both my English and Arabic IA's and got them marked. So let's hope I don't struggle with the Chemistry IA and hopefully get a 7 on it :smile:

Thanks once again!
Original post by Medukal
Considering i'm going to start IB this coming year; what pointers could you give me that could boost my chances of scoring a 6-7 for both my predicted grade and for my final grade (Externals).

Additionally, I'd love to ask you how many hours one should dedicate to studying Chemistry daily in order to score a 7/7 overall.

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, and you will hear this constantly as you start IB - keep up with the work. There's a really good youtuber called Rick Thornley who is an IB examiner and he has made YouTube tutorials for each of the syllabus dot points - I would highly recommend them. the great thing about IB is the amount of notes online!

However, I'm not sure what hemisphere you're in but this year in Australia there is a new chemistry syllabus that approaches the content in a different way. I'm not sure if it is easier or harder, but bear in mind you will be one of the first cohorts to go through it.

As to how many hours a day - I honestly don't think it can be determined such as that. It comes down to your natural ability to understand science and your work ethic. Keeping up with the work, handing IAs in on time, making notes as you go and doing plenty of practice problems are definitely ways to go. Some people also have tutors.

The thing about IB exams is they tend to have questions with information from all parts of the syllabus. Hence at some points of your learning you may not fully understand a concept until you learn another part of the syllabus.
Also another thing, in IB 70% is basically amazing and a 6 or a 7 in most subjects. Although that might seem low to you now, it seems insanely high due to the nature of the work. I don't mean to scare you as it is definitely achievable. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by elisemay
Honestly, and you will hear this constantly as you start IB - keep up with the work. There's a really good youtuber called Rick Thornley who is an IB examiner and he has made YouTube tutorials for each of the syllabus dot points - I would highly recommend them. the great thing about IB is the amount of notes online!

However, I'm not sure what hemisphere you're in but this year in Australia there is a new chemistry syllabus that approaches the content in a different way. I'm not sure if it is easier or harder, but bear in mind you will be one of the first cohorts to go through it.

As to how many hours a day - I honestly don't think it can be determined such as that. It comes down to your natural ability to understand science and your work ethic. Keeping up with the work, handing IAs in on time, making notes as you go and doing plenty of practice problems are definitely ways to go. Some people also have tutors.

The thing about IB exams is they tend to have questions with information from all parts of the syllabus. Hence at some points of your learning you may not fully understand a concept until you learn another part of the syllabus.
Also another thing, in IB 70% is basically amazing and a 6 or a 7 in most subjects. Although that might seem low to you now, it seems insanely high due to the nature of the work. I don't mean to scare you as it is definitely achievable. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for going all in with the explanation, i'll make sure to take everything you stated into consideration as I genuinely found it useful.

Thanks once again bud!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending