The Student Room Group

TSR is a forum where males are more vocal, and abuse/sexism/arrogance is rewarded?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Oh lol you forget that men who get abused are thought to be pussies, just like.men who face anything which is in some way in their control. I hate it too but I don't see it changing anytime soon, certainly.not cos i crx about it

A thoughtful point coherently made.
Reply 141
Original post by macromicro
Don't be so dramatic. I dislike internet feminism and radical feminism as much as the next person but what you have described is an exaggeration. For a long time yet there will be for women a heightened sensitivity towards sexism, however minor, simply because of their unforgivable social status a hundred, even fifty years ago. That's understandable. I agree that currently the feminist movement is being undermined by extremists who nitpick and who ignore the very obvious biological and psychological differences between men and women that have contributed to our completely normal and desirable gender roles. They have forgotten we are wired differently and they are fixated not on equality but revenge and of a merging of the two very distinct sexes.

But please, for crying out loud, stop talking of "totalitarianism" when we live in a democracy which is, in general, pushing for fairness - the UK is far from authoritarian. It's just cringe-worthy; your post reads like a GCSE student who just read 1984 and a Grace Dent article.

Oh really.
it's called the internet sweetcheeks
Sounds pretty accurate. I think there may have been a brief stormfront merger, and this is just the mere legacy of it.
Original post by ironandwine
it's called the internet sweetcheeks

I can't tell if this is intentional or...
Original post by Truths
I can't tell if this is intentional or...

who knows
Reply 146
-That's not the UK.

-That organisation's beliefs are not indicative of society's beliefs (i.e. the general public/the state) and certainly don't point to totalitarianism.

-The article has somewhat misinterpreted the organisation - as far as I can tell, they're not saying that logic is abuse, they're saying that "logic" is abuse, i.e. that false logic as a way to emotionally manipulate your partner is abuse; this is what traps domestic abuse victims as much as the physical violence itself.

-The article is correct that the organisation does not take into account domestic abuse of men but the statistics of male domestic abuse is a difficult area. I don't tend to believe that domestic abuse for men is as bad as for women. By this I don't just mean the number of cases but the severity, motives, effect and repetition of each. There is a lot of debate about what the actual statistics are and what to include in these statistics. I definitely agree that male domestic abuse is underestimated in society, but there still appears to be a large difference between domestic abuse against men and women.

:rolleyes:
-That's not the UK.

-That organisation's beliefs are not indicative of society's beliefs (i.e. the general public/the state) and certainly don't point to totalitarianism.

-The article has somewhat misinterpreted the organisation - as far as I can tell, they're not saying that logic is abuse, they're saying that "logic" is abuse, i.e. that false logic as a way to emotionally manipulate your partner is abuse; this is what traps domestic abuse victims as much as the physical violence itself.

-The article is correct that the organisation does not take into account domestic abuse of men but the statistics of male domestic abuse is a difficult area. I don't tend to believe that domestic abuse for men is as bad as for women. By this I don't just mean the number of cases but the severity, motives, effect and repetition of each. There is a lot of debate about what the actual statistics are and what to include in these statistics. I definitely agree that male domestic abuse is underestimated in society, but there still appears to be a large difference between domestic abuse against men and women.

It's almost as if you think shrink4men.com is not a 100% reliable source. Next you will be telling us that the article on "Why Your Wife's Excuses for Not Working Are Lame" may contain inaccuracies too! Or perhaps the fairly uncontroversial piece entitled "Men Have Emotions, but Women Don't Listen."

I think it's pretty disappointing that the feminazis have obviously got to you and smeared 41b's perfectly reputable source :nn:
The Guardian is also reputable, it doesn't mean I don't critically analyse its articles. I gave a fair and unbiased analysis of the link he posted and I'm yet to hear a rebuttal of the points I made from either of you.

You must not have read my initial reply to him which directly opposed radical feminism.

I think you might have missed something.

The number 1 item on his list is being used as a political football.

Your response to this is to go ahead and use him as a political football.

Just copy and paste the top couple of posts from /r/theredpill next time. Or better yet, try not sharing your opinion on this particular issue :dontknow:
I always wonder why feminists (most of whom are white themselves) are so obsessed with White men. White/Western culture is probably the feminised and most gynocentric, I mean this is the race which gave you Ed Sheeran, who is hardly this ruthless agent of the patriarchy.
I've noticed you outline this problem or "crisis" on many occasions. However, it's very easy to make negative claims - where are your positive claims? How should masculinity be defined to save us from crisis? What is a better model? What exactly are you trying to say? Your prose is very cryptic and dense and your posts don't ever seem to conclude with anything of substance, just vagueness like "masculinity crisis".

Unfortunately there are only 3 models which fit

i) The traditionalist 'alpha male' model of masculinity: Men Dominant, Women Submissive, alpha-beta social hierarchy stemming back to feudalism and the ancient empires, etc.

ii) The impossible Misandrist Superman model issued by the radfems-this is the absurdity of Tumblr feminism's 'a real man never…[insert 100 misandrist and obscene rules for men]

iii) The specific mould of attractiveness that individual heterosexual woman desires. This is typically sensitive to her needs yet stoic in the face of how own adversity.

I am trying to say that it is inevitable that as women's power increases since the suffrage movement, their expectations of men shall increase as well, and thus their satisfaction with them shall decline. This is easily demonstrated by the exponential increase in one night stands and rising divorce statistics; why stay of a man you perceive as low value if there are no longer financial or social repercussions for leaving?

Sure reasonable feminists are working towards a world of gender equality but in practice this is now a privilege they could easily revoke. Practical third wave feminism is a meticulous philosophy with a plethora of loopholes which makes it nigh on impossible for men to protest it without being labelled Part of the Problem and silenced. Practice would find that most hetero adult women do not like men being free; our chains as disposable products to the patriarchal system are considered the bread and butter of industry and commerce. It's only been in the past 20 years that it has been remotely socially acceptable for men to have a long period of unemployment or take up the role of 'stay at home dad', for example, that we have had this growth of articles on the rise of man-children, the patronisation of men in the media, etc. In particular there is now exploitation in the media of a disparity between the disappointing average Joe and the aspirational Alpha Male (male model, celebrity, actor, athlete, musician, powerful businessman etc.) Rules against objectifying women in such a way enforced in the early Noughties have made this a one-way process.

The areas that third wave feminism is most beneficial in are the breakdown of homophobia and transphobia, making the world a better safer place for the LGBT and non-white-cisgender community. By definition to feminism, heterosexual WAS (White Anglo-Saxon) males are the Other. In terms of gender roles in a sexual/romantic environment this artificial construction of men becoming submissive is poison to their attraction to men. Even more now, at this current time of recovery from financial crisis, than in the early years of 3rd wave fem prior to it.

All of this is to say that women as a whole dislike the consequences of a liberalised atmosphere for men, however they may seem to like it in public. Once again I shall use myself as the butt of the joke-but for such an atmosphere man-children held with contempt such as myself would not be produced.

None of this is to say that women like being belittled or viewed as submissive, vulnerable, inferior-not at all. That's misogyny. But I have never encountered nor read of nor heard of a woman who can handle the idea of a man ultimately failing to lead the flock.
Original post by SmashConcept
The number 1 item on his list is being used as a political football.

Your response to this is to go ahead and use him as a political football.

Just copy and paste the top couple of posts from /r/theredpill next time. Or better yet, try not sharing your opinion on this particular issue :dontknow:

wut? I thought we were in agreement that there are feminazis

There is no other way of sharing his story but him being used as a political football lol :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
That link is irrelevant. We are discussing domestic abuse.

90% of sexual domestic violence is against females, by the way.

you mean 90% of DV statistics disclosed to the general public, indeed 90% of reported DV stats. I would imagine the figure is closer to 75 female-25 male.
It's impossible to say.

But even your speculative statistic shows a huge and significant gap between male and female victims.

my intention would never be to belittle female victims of rape, merely disillusionment about the way male victims are ridiculed or otherwise silenced.
wut? I thought we were in agreement that there are feminazis

There is no other way of sharing his story but him being used as a political football lol :s-smilie:

I have no idea how you reached the conclusion that we are in agreement about anything in particular, let alone the existence of nefarious feminazis coming in force to take our men's rights. I also have no idea how you think that would be relevant. I think most of my discourse with you has consisted of either strong disagreement or outright befuddlement on my part, this being an example of the latter.

In any case there are many, many ways of discussing male rape without bringing it up in the context of a childish debate as to whether men are more or less privileged than women. You just appear to be incapable of finding them, which is why I recommended that you don't bring the issue up at all.

Another non-response.

Go back to chat; the society forum is for debate and discussion, not empty one-liners.

I hope that if you read my post more closely you might eventually realize that I was agreeing with you, which is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in a discussion forum.
I have no idea how you reached the conclusion that we are in agreement about anything in particular, let alone the existence of nefarious feminazis coming in force to take our men's rights. I also have no idea how you think that would be relevant. I think most of my discourse with you has consisted of either strong disagreement or outright befuddlement on my part, this being an example of the latter.

In any case there are many, many ways of discussing male rape without bringing it up in the context of a childish debate as to whether men are more or less privileged than women. You just appear to be incapable of finding them, which is why I recommended that you don't bring the issue up at all.

I hope that if you read my post more closely you might eventually realize that I was agreeing with you, which is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in a discussion forum.

hmmm.

Patriarchal privilege has always come with the caveat of male disposability.

There are very few ways imo, the only issues separate to any discussion of female rape are i) related to stigma on the idea of males being submissive or victims (internalised misogyny) and ii) some discussion of the legal definition of rape
It's almost as if you think shrink4men.com is not a 100% reliable source. Next you will be telling us that the article on "Why Your Wife's Excuses for Not Working Are Lame" may contain inaccuracies too! Or perhaps the fairly uncontroversial piece entitled "Men Have Emotions, but Women Don't Listen."

I think it's pretty disappointing that the feminazis have obviously got to you and smeared 41b's perfectly reputable source :nn:

oh this was entirely sarcasm
oh this was entirely sarcasm

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending