No Spring Weeks... How Screwed Am I?

A little about my profile:
-1st year UCL Econ
-A*A*AA at A level
-1st year executive position at a finance society
-Regional level swimming + position on the 1st team at UCL
-Accounting work experience + summer job
-No previous IB work experience

So after 11 applications, 3 telephone interviews and lots of rejections and nothing to show for it as of yet, I am now confident that I won't end up with any spring weeks. I am still waiting for a few replied but it seems like nearly all firms have finished their recruiting.

How will this effect my summer internship applications next year? Do many people manage to land FO SA positions without having done any spring weeks?

I have an offer for a 1 month summer internship at an IB in Shanghai this summer. Will this make up for not having any SWs? Is there anything else I can do in the meantime to boost my CV?

Scroll to see replies

Not screwed at all. Plenty of people secure FO SA positions without spring weeks, or at least not at that particular bank. The usefulness of SWs are questionable if you don't convert, aside from the signalling factor.

You need to assess where you went wrong on your telephone interviews, you might not get three throws at the dice for summer.

If that internship is legit, it sounds good. There's lots of stuff you can consider doing such as volunteering abroad/interning at a boutique in London etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Cutmeloose
Not screwed at all. Plenty of people secure FO SA positions without spring weeks, or at least not at that particular bank. The usefulness of SWs are questionable if you don't convert, aside from the signalling factor.

You need to assess where you went wrong on your telephone interviews, you might not get three throws at the dice for summer.

If that internship is legit, it sounds good. There's lots of stuff you can consider doing such as volunteering abroad/interning at a boutique in London etc.

Thanks very much. I do definitely feel like I need to work on my interview skills. What's worrying is that at the time I thought they went well, so I'm not aware of what I actually need to improve since they don't give any feedback.

With regards to getting an internship at at a boutique in London, how does one go about doing that? Cold calling/cold emailing? Would you suggest targeting tiny firms which don't have official internship programmes?
I've been to quite a lot of networking events and there's very rarely anyone representing boutiques, especially the smaller ones (which I'm guessing I would have a better shot at).
Original post by Bloxorus
-1st year UCL Econ
-A*A*AA at A level
-1st year executive position at a finance society
-Regional level swimming + position on the 1st team at UCL
-Accounting work experience + summer job
-No previous IB work experience

So after 11 applications, 3 telephone interviews and lots of rejections and nothing to show for it as of yet, I am now confident that I won't end up with any spring weeks. I am still waiting for a few replied but it seems like nearly all firms have finished their recruiting.

How will this effect my summer internship applications next year? Do many people manage to land FO SA positions without having done any spring weeks?

I have an offer for a 1 month summer internship at an IB in Shanghai this summer. Will this make up for not having any SWs? Is there anything else I can do in the meantime to boost my CV?

Which firm in Shanghai? Is it Absolute Internship?
Reply 4
Original post by Liquid Gold.
Which firm in Shanghai? Is it Absolute Internship?

Yeah its absolute. Not sure which firm yet.

Not screwed at all. Very good academics, very good ECs (i.e. finance leadership, competitve sport) - now do the internship in Shanghai (relevant IB exp + international exposure) and you'll get interviews. Just don't actively mention that it's an 'Absolute' internship,

If you do the above you have a great chance.

Last year I had no SWs but had 5 interviews for IBD summers (BB-large MM) and recieved an offer after many rejections, and learnt lessons at that.
Reply 6
Original post by Tomatochuckers
Not screwed at all. Very good academics, very good ECs (i.e. finance leadership, competitve sport) - now do the internship in Shanghai (relevant IB exp + international exposure) and you'll get interviews. Just don't actively mention that it's an 'Absolute' internship,

If you do the above you have a great chance.

Last year I had no SWs but had 5 interviews for IBD summers (BB-large MM) and recieved an offer after many rejections, and learnt lessons at that.

Thanks! Thats really boosted my confidence!

(I wasn't planning on mentioning that it was an 'absolute' internship ahaha).
Reply 7
Hi Bloxorus,

Would you mind messaging me? I'm interested in Absolute Internship but not sure whether to go through it or not. Anyone else who can help would be great!
Hi Al_10 I'm currently in the process of getting interviews with absolute internship. I don't know what industry you're looking at but I'm doing law. I've read a few reviews about their process and it was mostly negative but I still went with it. I was supposed to have an interview today but I got notified half an hour before the interview that the company had backed out, although it was a pretty good law firm (London). I was pretty happy with their service, the CV revision in particular but now I'm not so confident about it. But they're pretty quick and very friendly and helpful. If you have questions you can ask me and maybe I can help you out and let you know if everything goes smooth. Let me know. Have a good day.
Original post by Al_10
Hi Bloxorus,

Would you mind messaging me? I'm interested in Absolute Internship but not sure whether to go through it or not. Anyone else who can help would be great!
Reply 9
Original post by rashisingh467
Hi Al_10 I'm currently in the process of getting interviews with absolute internship. I don't know what industry you're looking at but I'm doing law. I've read a few reviews about their process and it was mostly negative but I still went with it. I was supposed to have an interview today but I got notified half an hour before the interview that the company had backed out, although it was a pretty good law firm (London). I was pretty happy with their service, the CV revision in particular but now I'm not so confident about it. But they're pretty quick and very friendly and helpful. If you have questions you can ask me and maybe I can help you out and let you know if everything goes smooth. Let me know. Have a good day.

Thanks for your help. Finance-related opportunities such as Investment Banking. I'm going to submit my application anyway and discuss any doubts I have about the program on the phone haha. Do you know whether you can get deposits back if you're not happy with the service?
Original post by Al_10
Thanks for your help. Finance-related opportunities such as Investment Banking. I'm going to submit my application anyway and discuss any doubts I have about the program on the phone haha. Do you know whether you can get deposits back if you're not happy with the service?

Oh that's great! And no, the deposits are to secure your place if you've been accepted (you'll be asked to be pay this after your phone interview through an email saying you've been accepted), so you won't get it back once you've committed to the program. Which city are you applying for?
For Absolute Internships do you guys state it was 'Absolute' on your CV/Linked in?
Do you get paid by the companies for the internship THEN pay Absolute their fees?

Are you guys going to the Shanghai/Beijing one, or are you paying extra for other places, and if so, why?
Reply 12
Probs best not state Absolute on your CV.. You want to to show you went the extra way to get this internship and not show you paid for it lol.. I've applied for HK but the 2 u mentioned are excellent.. Shanghai would be amazing I feel

Original post by Cutmeloose

What does SA mean? I could not find on Google
Original post by anonwinner
What does SA mean? I could not find on Google

SA - Summer Analyst (Intern)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Al_10
Probs best not state Absolute on your CV.. You want to to show you went the extra way to get this internship and not show you paid for it lol.. I've applied for HK but the 2 u mentioned are excellent.. Shanghai would be amazing I feel

Anyone got a list orf Shanghai/Asia firms that are willing to accept internships from UK students? Might be worth a look, probably a lot harder than Absolute, but at least it would have been earnt.
Original post by will2348
SA - Summer Analyst (Intern)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Original post by TrojanH
Anyone got a list orf Shanghai/Asia firms that are willing to accept internships from UK students? Might be worth a look, probably a lot harder than Absolute, but at least it would have been earnt.

No one's going to just give you a list bro. Use some initiative to find them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
No one's going to just give you a list bro. Use some initiative to find them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would, but there are plenty of lists for UK internships, so there must be some for Asian internships, thereby using my initiative to save my own time.
Original post by TrojanH
I would, but there are plenty of lists for UK internships, so there must be some for Asian internships, thereby using my initiative to save my own time.

Nope, if there were most people would be vying for them. You're going to have to do some serious networking/searching to find what you're looking for.

There aren't plenty of lists for the types of internships you're searching for (i.e. ones to do before your penultimate summer internship) for firms in the UK either.. If what you're asking is about penultimate summer internships then the usual names will be available at their HK/Singapore office.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending