The Student Room Group

I dont want to be friends with someone anymore. Should I just block her

We were so close for years and always kept in contact throughout university up to now, and I just feel like I dont want to be friends with her anymore. We havent seen each other for 5 months which isnt a big deal but it makes it easier for me to move on. There isnt any bad blood I just feel things have changed. We do speak and she is sometimes really supportive and lovely and other times we dont speak and its just weird.

I feel bad, thinking that I want to block on move on because that implies she has done wrong to me. I am just an all or nothing kind of person I guess, so drifting wouldnt really work. We were best friends from 16 upto I dunno, I am 22 now. We havent been close for coming up 2 years
I always assumed blocking was what people did to people they hated, had just come out of horrible relationships with, had just punched them in the face, etc.

Blocking someone because you don't talk to them very much anymore seems very rude to me. At least have the basic manners to explain that you don't want to be friends anymore, it'll have the same result but without the unpleasantness for your (former) friend of not having a clue what's going on.
Reply 2
Original post by russellsteapot
I always assumed blocking was what people did to people they hated, had just come out of horrible relationships with, had just punched them in the face, etc.

Blocking someone because you don't talk to them very much anymore seems very rude to me. At least have the basic manners to explain that you don't want to be friends anymore, it'll have the same result but without the unpleasantness for your (former) friend of not having a clue what's going on.

True, but it makes it harder and messier, when people get in contact again when there isnt anything there. It just wastes time and energy
You don't need to block her, just unfollow her from your newsfeed and be civil whenever she does speak to you. People often grow apart as they grow up, it's normal.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
We were so close for years and always kept in contact throughout university up to now, and I just feel like I dont want to be friends with her anymore. We havent seen each other for 5 months which isnt a big deal but it makes it easier for me to move on. There isnt any bad blood I just feel things have changed. We do speak and she is sometimes really supportive and lovely and other times we dont speak and its just weird.

I feel bad, thinking that I want to block on move on because that implies she has done wrong to me. I am just an all or nothing kind of person I guess, so drifting wouldnt really work. We were best friends from 16 upto I dunno, I am 22 now. We havent been close for coming up 2 years

Were you dating at some stage or just strictly friends ??
How come you lost contact ?
This is incredibly immature. Just drift and be friendly and civil but distance yourself if you don't want to be close. It's not hard and you need to get out of this "all or nothing" attitude because it will make you socially awkward. Sometimes there are people you need to be friendly with but not friends with and there's a line you can't cross.
Reply 6
Original post by SSS_JJJ
Were you dating at some stage or just strictly friends ??
How come you lost contact ?

just friends.

We didnt really, it just thinned out. I know friendships change and evolve, its not that. It has changed since it begun, since we started out friends at the end of high school, changed when we went to college, changed when we both left for different unis but i just feel different now like theres no point flogging a dead horse. Life is in chapters and it will be remembered but maybe its time to move on
I disagree with other posters. You're not obliged to keep anyone in your life. If blocking them is easiest for you, do it - do what suits you.
I agree with the others - unless she's done something wrong, blocking does seem rather harsh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending