The Student Room Group

Swedish Learner's Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
So how do I use the definite article with the adjectives? Cos it's like a double thing isn't it

When do I use de/den/det?

When an adjective is followed by a noun in the definite form you use a definitive article (det/den/de). For example:

"det svenska folket" - "the Swedish people"

‘Den’, ‘det’, and ‘de’ can also be used as synonyms to ‘den där/det där/de där’

"Jag vill ha den (där) bilen" - "I want (to) have that car".

Definitive articles are also used for saying 'this' (which you might already know?)

e.g. Den här bilen -- this car

You could also say 'denna bil' to say 'this car', though to me 'den här' sounds better.
Original post by I. Dzhugashvili
Nei, ikkje akkurat. Eg flytta til Noreg og brukar oftast nynorsk. Men i Skandinavia er alle dei skrivne språka veldig nær til kvarandre. Problemet kjém med dei mange dialektar i kvart land. For eksempel er det lettare for meg å forstå "rikssvensk" enn dei fleiste dialektane i Noreg.

Nej, inte precis. Jag flyttade till Norge och använder oftast nynorsk. Men i Skandinavien är alla dessa språken mycket nära till varandra. Problemet ligger med de många dialekterna i varje land. Till exempel är det lättare för mig att förstå "rikssvenska" än de flesta dialekterna i Norge.

Lycka till!

vet du også bokmål? Hvorfor bruker du nynorsk?
Original post by TheTechN1304
When an adjective is followed by a noun in the definite form you use a definitive article (det/den/de). For example:

"det svenska folket" - "the Swedish people"

‘Den’, ‘det’, and ‘de’ can also be used as synonyms to ‘den där/det där/de där’

"Jag vill ha den (där) bilen" - "I want (to) have that car".

Definitive articles are also used for saying 'this' (which you might already know?)

e.g. Den här bilen -- this car

You could also say 'denna bil' to say 'this car', though to me 'den här' sounds better.

So det for ett, den for en, and de for plural?

What does där mean on its own? If anything

So what's 'that'

Like 'that car'
Original post by Gott
I haven't been learning since the summer but I think I can translate this:

No one want's to learn Swedish :frown:

Rubbish, it's my second favourite language. Has anyone used the teach yourself complete Swedish with any success, I found it very useful while I was learning?

Original post by Gott
I think 'den' means an abstract word for the, as in I want the car, while där means that. Correct me if I'm wrong l'evil fish

I wouldn't be able to correct unfortunately :lol:

What's your first favourite language?
Original post by Gott
Deutsch vor Schwedish, dann kommt Englisch

Ah my German is **** :tongue:

Ich kann kein Deutsch sprechen
Original post by Gott
Du Heißt das unheiles Fisch. Kannst du es überzetzungen?

Can I explain it?
Original post by Gott
Can you translate?

Just evil fish
Original post by Gott
Btw OP are you trying to fit Swedish learning in with A levels because that's just not going to happen with me

Well, yeah, it doesn't really hinder anything because my a Levels are a doss.

Trying to get my Spanish and italian up to scratch, and J get basics up in Swedish.

So what's 'that'
Like 'that car'

Original post by Gott
I think 'den' means an abstract word for the, as in I want the car, while där means that. Correct me if I'm wrong l'evil fish

I think of där as translating to there.

So: Den här boken --> This here book
And: Den där boken --> That there book

But yeah, I'm trying to learn Swedish, and the main thing I've noticed is how many of the words (often determiners and prepositions) don't overlap with their English counterparts all that much. It would be nice to get to a level where you I don't need to find the equivalent English word all the time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gott
Aren't you doing A level maths and Chemistry, THE most difficult subjects or are you just a genius at them?

Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and French.

Meh i disagree, they may be the least accessible, but not hardest

Original post by Tpx
I think of där as translating to there.

So: Den här bok --> This here book
And: Den där bok --> That there book

But yeah, I'm trying to learn Swedish, and the main thing I've noticed is how many of the words (like determiners and prepositions) don't overlap with their English counterparts all that much. It would be nice to get to a level where you I don't need to find the equivalent English word all the time.

Aah I like that! It's quite logical

What's your background? Like age, languages etc
Hej! Jag är halv Svensk men jag har inte bott där för sju år jag blir värre varje år.
Original post by Fallen21
Hej! Jag är halv Svensk men jag har inte bott där för sju år jag blir värre varje år.

Aah, well when I eventually learn more words and stuff, jag kan tala med dig
So det for ett, den for en, and de for plural?

So what's 'that'

Like 'that car'

Där means there, här means here

That car would be den där bilen (which literally means 'the car over there')
(edited 9 years ago)
Där means there, här means here

That car would be den där bilen (which literally means 'the car over there')

Den här bilen är min

This car is mine?
Den här bilen är min

This car is mine?

Yep
vet du også bokmål? Hvorfor bruker du nynorsk?

Ja, vi innvandrere alle studerer bokmål. Faktisk er det umulig for de fleste av oss å ta et nynorskkurs. Men når man jobber i Vestlandet er halvparten av skriflig kommunikasjon skrivet nynorsk. Derfor er det kjekt å lære seg nynorsk.

I tillegg finner jeg at nynorsk er mer interessant. Det ligger nærmere til det som mange folk snakker og til nørront. Bokmål er kjedelig og jeg liker ikke Oslo-intonasjon.

Aah I like that! It's quite logical

What's your background? Like age, languages etc

I'm English and don't speak any other languages. Just finished a masters degree in Biology, so I'm learning languages whilst I no job or degree on at the moment. I started Swedish and Spanish on Duolingo, but I've given up on Spanish for now as I'm writing applications, and I'm concentrating on Swedish.
Hej
I'm planning on learning Swedish when I'm at college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tpx
I'm English and don't speak any other languages. Just finished a masters degree in Biology, so I'm learning languages whilst I no job or degree on at the moment. I started Swedish and Spanish on Duolingo, but I've given up on Spanish for now as I'm writing applications, and I'm concentrating on Swedish.

Aah nice!

Spanish would probably be better in terms of application but then again Swedish biotechnology companies would be cool
Aah nice!

Spanish would probably be better in terms of application but then again Swedish biotechnology companies would be cool

I picked Swedish because I've been on holiday there dozens of times. I'm a bit late in learning it :redface: I didn't really like languages much when I was younger, but Duolingo has that sort of internet-based addictiveness factor to it that helped me get started, and now I can probably carry on without it.
Original post by Tpx
I picked Swedish because I've been on holiday there dozens of times. I'm a bit late in learning it :redface: I didn't really like languages much when I was younger, but Duolingo has that sort of internet-based addictiveness factor to it that helped me get started, and now I can probably carry on without it.

Wooo, yah languages are so underrated and I feel they need promotion.

I hated them up until like Year 11 summer and I was like, woah, languages are epic.

Duolingo is amazing in what it does, for free as well.

Tycka vill

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending