The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by evelyn3347
I've got an offer from kcl to study Philosophy BA but not sure if firm it or Durham. Anyone can help?

Firm Durham.

Unless you really really want to live in London.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Yay....Just got an offer for pharmacy!!😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PQ
That's fairly simple surely - do you want to live in london at a big university or live in a small city in a collegiate university? The two are such different environments deciding which is right for you should be straight forward

To be honest I'm not sure really... I think I like both. Maybe. ...I just wonder which one is better at philosophy in the academical sense, that's what makes me concern the most.
Original post by EdCohen
Firm Durham.

Unless you really really want to live in London.

Why? I don't care about where I live actually, although I may tend to prefer quiet environment ... Just wonder which one is better at philosophy in the academical sense. I am an international student and plan to return to homeland after uni. KCL has higher international reputation and I like their courses. However I am also fascinated about Durham's philosophy course and the lower pace of life, compared with London. So difficult to decide....
Original post by evelyn3347
Why? I don't care about where I live actually, although I may tend to prefer quiet environment ... Just wonder which one is better at philosophy in the academical sense. I am an international student and plan to return to homeland after uni. KCL has higher international reputation and I like their courses. However I am also fascinated about Durham's philosophy course and the lower pace of life, compared with London. So difficult to decide....

Oh I never knew you were an international student.

Durham on par with KCL in terms of the quality of course, but Durham regarded as more prestigious by UK employers.

Internationally, KCL is far more highly regarded both for employ-ability and the philosophy department, so on that basis I'd choose KCL if I were you.

Durham would be a risky choice, as there are a lot of white-middle class private school people, so you might find it difficult to settle in, plus, it's not so well-known internationally.

If you do choose KCL, I'll see you there this September :smile:

Btw why didn't you apply to UCL?
Original post by EdCohen
Oh I never knew you were an international student.

Durham on par with KCL in terms of the quality of course, but Durham regarded as more prestigious by UK employers.

Internationally, KCL is far more highly regarded both for employ-ability and the philosophy department, so on that basis I'd choose KCL if I were you.

Durham would be a risky choice, as there are a lot of white-middle class private school people, so you might find it difficult to settle in, plus, it's not so well-known internationally.

If you do choose KCL, I'll see you there this September :smile:

Btw why didn't you apply to UCL?

I heard that UCL's political philosophy and Moral philosophy was particularly good which I didn't really enjoy...I preferred philosophy of mind/science and metaphysics so I chose KCL. Indian philosophy is also my favour although I know nothing about it :tongue:

Yeah and now everybody tells me that ucl has higher international reputation than kcl and UCL's philosophy is really good...

I like Durham as well, like the castle the formal dinner and so on. But in terms of what you said.. I may not feel comfortable about the life there..

anyway.... Thank you for suggestions!!! I plan to go to kcl's open day to have a look. I think I may firm kcl..My parents deadly wish that... But there's still time to decide.

Emm..probably see you then!
Reply 206
could anyone help me, or offer some advice please?! I've got an offer from KCL for Classical Studies and I really loved it there. But i've now received an offer from UCL (which was both great and unexpected) but I don't know whether its better to go there, considering its ranked higher?! soo confused... :s-smilie:
Original post by monlakh
could anyone help me, or offer some advice please?! I've got an offer from KCL for Classical Studies and I really loved it there. But i've now received an offer from UCL (which was both great and unexpected) but I don't know whether its better to go there, considering its ranked higher?! soo confused... :s-smilie:

I have an offer from both of them and have been deliberating on the same thing. UCL is ranked higher but I like King's and they've given out some generous scholarships too
Original post by monlakh

Put the rankings out of your mind and go look at the structure of the two courses and the modules you can take. See what study abroad opportunities each course affords you if that's something important to you.
Reply 209
Original post by binarythoughts
I have an offer from both of them and have been deliberating on the same thing. UCL is ranked higher but I like King's and they've given out some generous scholarships too

ahh well at least I know the feeling. In your case i'd see which uni offers the best scholarship program! but still... its so hard to decide :/ have you applied for classics as well?

How do you know what scholarships they give? I thought you apply for them after you get in. I'm thinking of firming KCL if I don't get an offer from UCL.
Reply 211
Original post by sunn-bro
Put the rankings out of your mind and go look at the structure of the two courses and the modules you can take. See what study abroad opportunities each course affords you if that's something important to you.

hmmm thank you. Study abroad is something i'd like to do, and Kings offer a wider range of places to go if ever decide to.
Original post by monlakh
ahh well at least I know the feeling. In your case i'd see which uni offers the best scholarship program! but still... its so hard to decide :/ have you applied for classics as well?

Nope, I'll be doing Law
Reply 213
Nope, I'll be doing Law

ah ok. Well good luck with whichever one you choose.
Original post by SiminaM
How do you know what scholarships they give? I thought you apply for them after you get in. I'm thinking of firming KCL if I don't get an offer from UCL.

Yeah, so when I got my offer, I found out that because of my grades I was entitled to a minimum of 18000 pounds scholarship. People who haven't shown what they call "Proven Potential" can then apply for it.
This is the Dickson Poon Scholarship
Original post by monlakh
hmmm thank you. Study abroad is something i'd like to do, and Kings offer a wider range of places to go if ever decide to.

That's good. I found that UCL offered a more interesting selection of study abroad locations and modules alike for my course.
Yeah, so when I got my offer, I found out that because of my grades I was entitled to a minimum of 18000 pounds scholarship. People who haven't shown what they call "Proven Potential" can then apply for it.
This is the Dickson Poon Scholarship

Wow that sounds great. Is it available for all EU students or just for those from the UK? Also, can you tell me what grades you have?
Reply 217
Original post by sunn-bro
That's good. I found that UCL offered a more interesting selection of study abroad locations and modules alike for my course.

ah ok, i'm probably going to have to check again to be sure. What was your course?
Reply 218
Original post by monlakh

If it helps at all, I'm currently on a classics course at Kings (Ancient History, but it's the same as Classical Studies but for one compulsory module) and I couldn't recommend it more highly. I also had offers from KCL and UCL but firmed KCL because I far preferred the module choices.
The staff in the classics department are all excellent, and there's a very good active classics community with the society, Greek play etc.
At the end of the day if I were you I'd have a long hard look at the modules available and the style of course and consider which one interests you more - prestige and ranking counts for far less than picking the course more suited for you, as you'll likely achieve better in the course that interests you most.
Original post by SiminaM
Wow that sounds great. Is it available for all EU students or just for those from the UK? Also, can you tell me what grades you have?

Actually I'm an international student.
You can get the scholarship by having 8A*s at GCSE or A*A*A at A level
I had 8A*s and 2As at IGCSEs although I'm not sure if this is only for the law school

Latest