The Student Room Group

Hijab day, celebrated in American High School

"Before you judge, cover up for a day"

This is the slogan I was met with on the website, apparently WorldHijabDay is a thing that happens on the 1st of February.
http://worldhijabday.com/

Who is celebrating World Hijab Day this year?

A similar, yet seemingly unrelated event, was part of a seniors class project in a taxpayer school. Female students were encouraged to "cover up for a day" with flyers informing them of where to go to participate.
http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/30/taxpayer-funded-school-celebrates-hijab-day/

"Hijab Day happened at a taxpayer-funded charter school in the suburbs of Sacramento on Wednesday, Jan. 28. All female students but only female students were encouraged to wear Muslim headscarves."

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Disgusting.

Why not have a day that celebrates slavery too?
Nice
This is stupid and I'm saying this as a Muslim. Muslim women who've had their hijabs torn off,spat on, beaten up and raped bc of their choice of wearing a hijab are silenced and ignored,
Then we have a bunch of white women and non muslims wearing then on the news crying "Omg I totally know what muslim women go through"
So insulting and is another form of appropriation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hijabs are worn simply because Muslims regard women as the corrupter of men. Hijabs are rags imposed on women by gruesome religious zealots and Muslim women who claim to wear them by choice should be ashamed of themselves as they are traitors to their gender
Now how about non-Hijab day? Oh wait double standards.

Also the fact that loads of Muslim women don't wear it kind of makes it pointless.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Native To Europe
Hijabs are worn simply because Muslims regard women as the corrupter of men. Hijabs are rags imposed on women by gruesome religious zealots and Muslim women who claim to wear them by choice should be ashamed of themselves as they are traitors to their gender

As a Muslim feminist I'm not denying that there are perverted patriarchal half interpretions and the practises that came bc of them that are subjugated upon muslim women now, hence why I identity partly as a feminist.
BUT to deny choice to muslim women to wear their hijab is as hypocritical as the same ppl who force liberation upon women by the lac of clothes women wear
Miley cyrus=FEMINIST
Hijabi= OPPRESSED
honestly u can have all the dignities of hijab as u please but ur centering as religious garment around men either way either end of the spectrum forces modesty and the other forces "liberation"
It's BS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by radicalboujie
As a Muslim feminist I'm not denying that there are perverted patriarchal half interpretions and the practises that came bc of them that are subjugated upon muslim women now, hence why I identity partly as a feminist.
BUT to deny choice to muslim women to wear their hijab is as hypocritical as the same ppl who force liberation upon women by the lac of clothes women wear
Miley cyrus=FEMINIST
Hijabi= OPPRESSED
honestly u can have all the dignities of hijab as u please but ur centering as religious garment around men either way either end of the spectrum forces modesty and the other forces "liberation"
It's BS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Muslims feminist is an oxymoron. You cannot be a Muslim and then claim to be a feminist.
Muslims feminist is an oxymoron. You cannot be a Muslim and then claim to be a feminist.

Yes I can. There's a Muslim feminist movement you should read about it instead of the old fox news source :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I can. There's a Muslim feminist movement you should read about it instead of the old fox news source :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do not watch fox news. And a Muslim Feminist is an oxymoron!
I do not watch fox news. And a Muslim Feminist is an oxymoron!

Yes to you. And other males muslim or non muslim. Patriarchal mysoginist interpretations have always dominated muslim community and culture, a lot of muslim feminist activists are fighting to change this like mona elthahaway. Anyways muslim feminists are here to stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
this is shocking
in the west, it's pretty obvious that in the middle east women have to cover up because they have no option
and people born into muslim families have no option either, even in a free society, because their parents practically force it upon them
so why would you celebrate being oppressed? this is disgusting
I get it, not everybody is forced, but a devastatingly high amount of them are, so this is just purely sickening
Original post by zippity.doodah
this is shocking
in the west, it's pretty obvious that in the middle east women have to cover up because they have no option
and people born into muslim families have no option either, even in a free society, because their parents practically force it upon them
so why would you celebrate being oppressed? this is disgusting
I get it, not everybody is forced, but a devastatingly high amount of them are, so this is just purely sickening

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh no, call the doctor, the patient's escaped
Reply 14
dont understand why it is necessary to be honest...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes to you. And other males muslim or non muslim. Patriarchal mysoginist interpretations have always dominated muslim community and culture, a lot of muslim feminist activists are fighting to change this like mona elthahaway. Anyways muslim feminists are here to stay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think what he is referring to is that Islam is unique, it's easy to conflate this religious sexist hierarchy with other male dominated sexist issues and say "it's just like those".

But it's not, the prophet of Islam was a polygamist paedophile rapist slave owner, who took women as sex slaves and told everyone else to do it as well....... and he is considered the pinnacle of human perfection in Islam.

No amount of apologetics is getting around the idea that equality for women means saying Mohammed was wrong.

It is the equivalent of fighting for Affirmative Action within the KKK ranks, the ideology in its current form just isn't compatible with the idea.

If you a Muslim feminist your essentially and Islamic reformer....... we need more of you, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Miley cyrus=FEMINIST
Hijabi= OPPRESSED
It's BS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol at "Muslim Feminist."
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

I totally disagree with you. Islam liberated women by giving them rights on property, inheritance and their own wealth almost 1500 years ago. The Prophet's first wife was a successful businesswoman whose life saw way beyond the domestic role. Victorian society on the hand seems to be the perfect epitomy of "patriarchal society," where men practically owned women and their role in society was disgustingly demeaning - that is, in European civilisation less than 200 years ago!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by JohnCrichton89

This is the slogan I was met with on the website, apparently WorldHijabDay is a thing that happens on the 1st of February.

A similar, yet seemingly unrelated event, was part of a seniors class project in a taxpayer school. Female students were encouraged to "cover up for a day" with flyers informing them of where to go to participate.

"Hijab Day happened at a taxpayer-funded charter school in the suburbs of Sacramento on Wednesday, Jan. 28. All female students but only female students were encouraged to wear Muslim headscarves."

has anyone pointed out to them their lack of understanding that the quran nowhere states a muslim woman has to cover their head with a scarf?

or is this an american cultural thing
Original post by JohnCrichton89

ffs...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending