The Student Room Group

English PGCE with only 30% of my ungergrad modules being in English

I'm currently studying a multi-disciplinary degree. About 30% of the modules on my transcript will have been taken under the English department. I understand that I am, therefore, unlikely to get a place on an English PGCE because they usually require at least 50%. If I did a masters in English though, would I be considered adequately qualified to do a PGCE? I know I should email individual departments but I thought I'd ask here to see if I's have any chance at all. Thanks!
Original post by z00ser
I'm currently studying a multi-disciplinary degree. About 30% of the modules on my transcript will have been taken under the English department. I understand that I am, therefore, unlikely to get a place on an English PGCE because they usually require at least 50%. If I did a masters in English though, would I be considered adequately qualified to do a PGCE? I know I should email individual departments but I thought I'd ask here to see if I's have any chance at all. Thanks!

I got an interview for an English PGCE a few years ago, and 0% of my modules were in English.

I didn't get in (and went on to do an MFL PGCE and am now in my 2nd year of teaching), but the fact that they even interviewed me suggests that the wrong degree won't rule you out if you can show your subject knowledge is relevant. If they like you and see the potential for you to be a good teacher, you may have a chance with 30%.
Reply 2
Original post by myrtille
I got an interview for an English PGCE a few years ago, and 0% of my modules were in English.

I didn't get in (and went on to do an MFL PGCE and am now in my 2nd year of teaching), but the fact that they even interviewed me suggests that the wrong degree won't rule you out if you can show your subject knowledge is relevant. If they like you and see the potential for you to be a good teacher, you may have a chance with 30%.

You're an exception though.

The majority of PGCE courses require you to have at least 50% of your degree in the subject that you wish to teach.

OP, I can't give you a definitive answer so your best bet would be to email a few chosen providers and ask them. I would think though, that a masters would help.
I'm on a Maths PGCE with less than 50% of my degree being in maths. I got all 3 of my interviews. And all 3 stated on their information that I needed a 50% maths degree. About 1/4 of our maths cohort have a non-maths, non-maths content degree like law or sociology, although about half of those did do a Maths SKE.

If you are worried, email the institutions you are wanting to apply to. But I definitely wouldn't rule it out.
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster
I'm on a Maths PGCE with less than 50% of my degree being in maths. I got all 3 of my interviews. And all 3 stated on their information that I needed a 50% maths degree. About 1/4 of our maths cohort have a non-maths, non-maths content degree like law or sociology, although about half of those did do a Maths SKE.

If you are worried, email the institutions you are wanting to apply to. But I definitely wouldn't rule it out.

Maths and sciences are rather different, as they are shortage subjects and the government is willing to bend the rules. It's rather different with English, where there are many more applicants, and although OP might get on a course (Teach First only requires an A level in the subject, for example) they will be at a disadvantage when it comes to job applications competing against those with a full degree in English.
Original post by GooglyEyedMonster

I am similar to some of your cohort as my degree does not have maths content... I need to know we're they able to do the SKE course because they had a maths a-level? Or did they have some kind of experience teaching already?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending