The Student Room Group

Most of the main Green policies are terrifying

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by Academic Bruv
yes but this is a false proposition, this is not being proposed. They are not going to make anything better with this zero growth policy.
Extrapolate that logic and apply it to morality, just because you cannot objectively measure morality as one could say count money or solve an equation doesn't mean that we cannot develop concepts of right and wrong.

They will make a sustainable economy which is what we want.
yes and I'm not saying that we can't because that would imply I suggested we can't develop culture. But one persons morality is different to another's and there can not be one person with perfect mortality.
Original post by Aph
They will make a sustainable economy which is what we want.
yes and I'm not saying that we can't because that would imply I suggested we can't develop culture. But one persons morality is different to another's and there can not be one person with perfect mortality.

No they won't. I won't get into debating this as its a topic of its own.

Yes but lets be clear

- some people can be more moral than others
- the moral frameworks of societies can be also judged morally
- Places like north Korea with a dictatorship and starving people are worse than democracies such as Australia where people are not put into forced labour camps, you can make this moral judgement.
Reply 362
No they won't. I won't get into debating this as its a topic of its own.

Yes but lets be clear

- some people can be more moral than others
- the moral frameworks of societies can be also judged morally
- Places like north Korea with a dictatorship and starving people are worse than democracies such as Australia where people are not put into forced labour camps, you can make this moral judgement.

Zero growth is the only sustainable growth.

Ok so which absolute set of moral principals (agreed upon by everyone) are you using as your basis for judgement? You are using your own opinion which means your conclusions are biased.
Original post by Aph
Zero growth is the only sustainable growth.

Ok so which absolute set of moral principals (agreed upon by everyone) are you using as your basis for judgement? You are using your own opinion which means your conclusions are biased.

That could be said of all morality. That does not mean that we should abandon the concept.
Reply 364
That could be said of all morality. That does not mean that we should abandon the concept.

Again, I never said we should. I simply maid the point that because it's a subjective thing (like societal values) one system cannot be said to be greater then another system.
Original post by RFowler
But I do understand that infinite economic growth on a finite planet is just not possible with the way we are doing things now

but.... that's not actually true.
Reply 366
Original post by cole-slaw
but.... that's not actually true.

Great argument I'm utterly convinced.
Original post by Aph
Great argument I'm utterly convinced.

I'm not making an argument.
Reply 368
I'm not making an argument.

Well it's an incorrect statement.
Original post by Aph
Well it's an incorrect statement.

What makes you think that, exactly?
Reply 370
What makes you think that, exactly?

In a finite world we cannot have infinite growth.
Original post by Aph
In a finite world we cannot have infinite growth.

why not?
Reply 372
why not?

You don't have infinite resources to allow for it.
Original post by Aph
You don't have infinite resources to allow for it.

infinite growth does not require infinite resources.
Reply 374
infinite growth does not require infinite resources.

How else would you do it
Original post by Aph
How else would you do it

progress, obviously.
Original post by Aph
How else would you do it

Well given that most of our economy is based on systems that need, for all intents and purposes, no resources...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 377
progress, obviously.
obviously:rolleyes:
Original post by Jammy Duel
Well given that most of our economy is based on systems that need, for all intents and purposes, no resources...

Posted from TSR Mobile
no, most of our energy is from non renewables and anything which involves selling involves resources so I don't see how you think that.
Original post by Aph
obviously:rolleyes:
no, most of our energy is from non renewables and anything which involves selling involves resources so I don't see how you think that.

Well yes, it is obvious to anyone with knowledge of economics.
Reply 379
Well yes, it is obvious to anyone with knowledge of economics.

Care to impart your oh so great wisdom on me:rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending