The Student Room Group

What's your idea of a Mickey Mouse degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Mine is Disney Studies.

OMG can I actually do disney studies!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lord Baelish
Please tell me of a degree that doesn't increase the knowledge of the person undertaking it? Also, if someone has sufficient expertise in a field and then goes to undertake a degree only to find they know most of the course content then that is a bad decision by the student, not the course provider. People continuously make fun out of those undertaking degrees in the humanities or the arts yet those degrees will increase your knowledge of things in relation to those areas and will cover material that a lot of science, technology, engineering and maths students will have no knowledge of whatsoever, and I say that as a bachelor of science.

i'm not doubting that a degree in a field will increase someone's knowledge in said field. only that some fields are simply not worth getting a degree in.

media/film studies as an example.
Original post by sherlockfan
i'm not doubting that a degree in a field will increase someone's knowledge in said field. only that some fields are simply not worth getting a degree in.

media/film studies as an example.

Why are they not worth getting a degree in? I find this viewpoint extremely narrow minded really and it comes from a lack of understanding of what other degrees involve. The vast majority of film/media studies students I've come across have learnt to use software to industry level and they're of course sought after skills. Whilst there is no guarantee they'll get a job in industry because the climate in terms of jobs is always evolving and changing, these skills are still there to use if they decide to set up their own business.

Simply put, my argument still stands. The problem is, some people are so insecure about their own degree choice that they feel the need to belittle others who have made their choice of degree based on what they want to do on an individual basis, as opposed to what society expects them or thinks they should to do. All knowledge gained is great because it helps shape your viewpoint on other things. Needless to say, the university experience itself and just meeting other individuals is a lesson in itself and will help shape the viewpoints of an individual because thats how social constructivism works.
Why are they not worth getting a degree in? I find this viewpoint extremely narrow minded really and it comes from a lack of understanding of what other degrees involve. The vast majority of film/media studies students I've come across have learnt to use software to industry level and they're of course sought after skills. Whilst there is no guarantee they'll get a job in industry because the climate in terms of jobs is always evolving and changing, these skills are still there to use if they decide to set up their own business.

Simply put, my argument still stands. The problem is, some people are so insecure about their own degree choice that they feel the need to belittle others who have made their choice of degree based on what they want to do on an individual basis, as opposed to what society expects them or thinks they should to do. All knowledge gained is great because it helps shape your viewpoint on other things. Needless to say, the university experience itself and just meeting other individuals is a lesson in itself and will help shape the viewpoints of an individual because thats how social constructivism works.

im sorry but i still dont believe that certain subjects are worth paying 27,000 pounds for, just so you can get into debt and end up unemployed. that's my view. i studied psychology for two years and i learned and gained nothing.
Original post by frances98
OMG can I actually do disney studies!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

of course, when you wish upon a star :badger:
im sorry but i still dont believe that certain subjects are worth paying 27,000 pounds for, just so you can get into debt and end up unemployed. that's my view. i studied psychology for two years and i learned and gained nothing.

You seem to have a very pessimistic viewpoint of things. Until you get over that way of seeing things then you're always going to believe that some degrees are not worthy of anything. Yes, there are some degrees that aren't worth £27,000 but some people will not pay £27,000 for their degree because its a form of taxation on earnings upon graduation as opposed to an invoiced cost. There are people who will work their entire life and only pay off a small percentage of that £27,000. There are people who will work all of their lives and pay off that £27,000 plus accumulated interest.
You seem to have a very pessimistic viewpoint of things. Until you get over that way of seeing things then you're always going to believe that some degrees are not worthy of anything. Yes, there are some degrees that aren't worth £27,000 but some people will not pay £27,000 for their degree because its a form of taxation on earnings upon graduation as opposed to an invoiced cost. There are people who will work their entire life and only pay off a small percentage of that £27,000. There are people who will work all of their lives and pay off that £27,000 plus accumulated interest.

I think I have a realistic viewpoint on this matter that many people agree on. Yes you dont pay the money upfront but who wants to spend their whole lives in debt when they dont even get a decent job at the end of it.
I think I have a realistic viewpoint on this matter that many people agree on. Yes you dont pay the money upfront but who wants to spend their whole lives in debt when they dont even get a decent job at the end of it.

Why are you blaming the degree for not gaining employment at the end of it? If you thought a degree would guarantee you a job then you're incredibly foolish. By that logic, no degree is worth it as no degree guarantees you a job. Also, you can still start up your own business and having a degree in the field will give you an advantage over those who don't. Clients are more likely to have confidence in you when you claim to do what it is that you do. Using a degree as a scapegoat is just living purely in denial.
Why are you blaming the degree for not gaining employment at the end of it? If you thought a degree would guarantee you a job then you're incredibly foolish. By that logic, no degree is worth it as no degree guarantees you a job. Also, you can still start up your own business and having a degree in the field will give you an advantage over those who don't. Clients are more likely to have confidence in you when you claim to do what it is that you do. Using a degree as a scapegoat is just living purely in denial.

Degrees dont guarantee you a job but they are supposed to help. And many of them don't serve that purpose.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
of course, when you wish upon a star :badger:

And im guessing you have to whistle while you work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Degrees dont guarantee you a job but they are supposed to help. And many of them don't serve that purpose.

Degrees are supposed to provide you with the opportunity to improve your knowledge of a specific area or add to your skill set to make you more desirable in the job market. You seem to be blaming the degrees for the bad choices and research undertaken by students before applying to go to university. I have already asked you to provide me with the name of a degree that does not meet the criteria I mentioned and you can't. There will be knowledge you gained during your degree that you do not even attribute to that time yet it was constructed during that time by you.
Degrees are supposed to provide you with the opportunity to improve your knowledge of a specific area or add to your skill set to make you more desirable in the job market. You seem to be blaming the degrees for the bad choices and research undertaken by students before applying to go to university. I have already asked you to provide me with the name of a degree that does not meet the criteria I mentioned and you can't. There will be knowledge you gained during your degree that you do not even attribute to that time yet it was constructed during that time by you.

I did provide you with the names of several degrees that are meaningless, but of course there will always be people who think they are worth pursuing, yourself included, so the point is moot.
And i do blame the universities for the proliferation of qualifications that are meaningless, also the fact that almost anyone can get into university these days means that degrees are not as valuable as they used to be.
I tell you I gained no insight at all into that subject, and if I ever did it was useless and quickly forgotten.
I did provide you with the names of several degrees that are meaningless, but of course there will always be people who think they are worth pursuing, yourself included, so the point is moot.

You actually mentioned two, film/media studies. That isn't several and they're areas as opposed to specific degrees. I asked you to provide me with specific degrees and still you have not done that because I know fully well I can prove that they are indeed worth pursuing if the person has the correct attitude and aptitude.

And i do blame the universities for the proliferation of qualifications that are meaningless, also the fact that almost anyone can get into university these days means that degrees are not as valuable as they used to be.

Yes, it is far easier to blame universities and the government than it is to accept individual responsibility. This has been the case for many people in many walks of life. Also, whilst I sympathise with the fact that the market is extremely competitive you must also accept that (a) you're not bound to stay in the UK and (b) that is not the fault of the degree.

I tell you I gained no insight at all into that subject, and if I ever did it was useless and quickly forgotten.

And how is that the fault of the degree itself as opposed to you? Did everyone else also decide to call it a day after two years and not benefit at all from the degree? I doubt it. There will be many people on the course you did that went on to get jobs and will believe their degree helped them in obtaining those jobs. There will be people who did not go on to get jobs and they'll most likely see things as you do.
Original post by frances98
And im guessing you have to whistle while you work

Posted from TSR Mobile

:awesome:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/StarCraft-Blizzard-Education-berkeley-class,news-3389.html

http://english.rice.edu/Content.aspx?id=2147483658

You can get a degree in gaming now. (playing, not building). This is the height of "mickey mouse".
You actually mentioned two, film/media studies. That isn't several and they're areas as opposed to specific degrees. I asked you to provide me with specific degrees and still you have not done that because I know fully well I can prove that they are indeed worth pursuing if the person has the correct attitude and aptitude.

Yes, it is far easier to blame universities and the government than it is to accept individual responsibility. This has been the case for many people in many walks of life. Also, whilst I sympathise with the fact that the market is extremely competitive you must also accept that (a) you're not bound to stay in the UK and (b) that is not the fault of the degree.

And how is that the fault of the degree itself as opposed to you? Did everyone else also decide to call it a day after two years and not benefit at all from the degree? I doubt it. There will be many people on the course you did that went on to get jobs and will believe their degree helped them in obtaining those jobs. There will be people who did not go on to get jobs and they'll most likely see things as you do.

Take a look at the facts and see how many graduates are unemployed, and how many graduates have jobs that have absolutely nothing to do with their degree.
I believe youre making it personal because Ive hit a nerve, maybe you secretly think your degree is worthless too.
Im done here.
Original post by nulli tertius

Can you give me directions to this place, I got lost by the second star to the right
Take a look at the facts and see how many graduates are unemployed, and how many graduates have jobs that have absolutely nothing to do with their degree.

Just because their job has nothing to do with their degree it doesn't mean their degree didn't help them in getting that job. An example would be people who did degrees in information technology obtaining jobs in the legal field because they have knowledge of intellectual property rights.

I believe youre making it personal because Ive hit a nerve, maybe you secretly think your degree is worthless too.

My degree is far from worthless. I've been offered multiple jobs but I'm moving abroad to set up my own company because I have no desire to live in the UK for a multitude of reasons. I haven't made anything personal at all. It is my belief that no degree is worthless and the vast majority of people who state there are worthless degrees are (a) bitter due to their own failings or (b) talking about degrees they have no knowledge of whatsoever.
Just because their job has nothing to do with their degree it doesn't mean their degree didn't help them in getting that job. An example would be people who did degrees in information technology obtaining jobs in the legal field because they have knowledge of intellectual property rights.

My degree is far from worthless. I've been offered multiple jobs but I'm moving abroad to set up my own company because I have no desire to live in the UK for a multitude of reasons. I haven't made anything personal at all. It is my belief that no degree is worthless and the vast majority of people who state there are worthless degrees are (a) bitter due to their own failings or (b) talking about degrees they have no knowledge of whatsoever.

i have my beliefs and you have yours. discussion is moot. no point saying that people who would agree with me are bitter about their own failures, you can't possibly know that.
(edited 9 years ago)
i have my beliefs and you have yours. discussion is moot.

Well there's something we both agree on.

Quick Reply