The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
وَإِلَىٰ مَدْيَنَ أَخَاهُمْ شُعَيْبًا فَقَالَ يَا قَوْمِ اعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ وَارْجُوا الْيَوْمَ الْآخِرَ وَلَا تَعْثَوْا فِي الْأَرْضِ مُفْسِدِينَ

And to Madyan [We sent] their brother Shu'ayb, and he said, "O my people, worship Allah and expect the Last Day and do not commit abuse on the earth, spreading corruption."

Remember to stay away from abuse and oppression :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by themorninglight

:rofl3:

LOOL!! :rofl:
Original post by yusufu
Old (really really old) members on this thread! I see your 2 years and raise you 11...

All well alh as well. In Cordoba Spain at the moment on holiday from the cold snows!
Oh nice mA. What are you hoping to go into? Further academia or had enough?
Lol no not an actuary! Working for a large retailer HQ at the moment applying my general wisdom to drive future growth and profits! Just what I dreamt of doing as a child... :-(

Wow, 11 years. I thought I was an oldie with my nearly 7 years.
Cool, I have never been to Spain! You're lucky, the UK is freezing. My brother and his wife are going to Gran Canaria in June.
I am just studying part time at the moment (Masters finishes in 2016) and a carer part time, was also working with the Civil Service part time, stopped now. I was thinking about PHD, but now I'm not too sure. Just thinking about careers and what I should do. :s: it isn't easy deciding. Grad schemes are around 3 years; time I may not necessarily have due to career breaks etc lol. I've dabbled with some internships in both public and private sector, but I still don't know. Allah hu ahlam.
I remember we had a convo a few years ago about you becoming an actuary or something, I may be mistaken. Your job sounds kinda cool, are you happy? If not, move on, you're young and capable of so much masha Allah. Aakhirah is the limit :tongue:
أَيَحْسَبُ الْإِنْسَانُ أَنْ يُتْرَكَ سُدًى

Does man think that he will be left neglected?

أَلَمْ يَكُ نُطْفَةً مِنْ مَنِيٍّ يُمْنَىٰ

Had he not been a sperm from semen emitted?

ثُمَّ كَانَ عَلَقَةً فَخَلَقَ فَسَوَّىٰ

Then he was a clinging clot, and [ Allah ] created [his form] and proportioned [him]

فَجَعَلَ مِنْهُ الزَّوْجَيْنِ الذَّكَرَ وَالْأُنْثَىٰ

And made of him two mates, the male and the female.

أَلَيْسَ ذَٰلِكَ بِقَادِرٍ عَلَىٰ أَنْ يُحْيِيَ الْمَوْتَىٰ

Is not that [Creator] Able to give life to the dead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aishachoudhry
Salam guys, I have a question relating to Nouman Ali Khan. I really enjoy his talks and lectures and particularly the illustrations. I think he's great for the youth however is his info enough? I feel like I'm missing out on things because he's mainly the person I listen to. Do you guys have any other suggestions of similar kind of people to listen to? Humorous and engaging?

😊

I recommend Shaikh Suleiman Moola... He's the awesomest lecturer ever.... He talks about youth... Makes jokes... He talks about teenage relationships and love and the problems facing youth... Talks about marriages... And pretty much everything... He's amazing... And very knowledgeable... And he quotes all his hadith and sources...
"Verily... Those on whom you call upon besides Allah, cannot create even a fly, even if they gathered together for it"
Surah Hajj ( don't know the verse number)
Reply 2488
Original post by Khodu
Wow, 11 years. I thought I was an oldie with my nearly 7 years.
Cool, I have never been to Spain! You're lucky, the UK is freezing. My brother and his wife are going to Gran Canaria in June.
I am just studying part time at the moment (Masters finishes in 2016) and a carer part time, was also working with the Civil Service part time, stopped now. I was thinking about PHD, but now I'm not too sure. Just thinking about careers and what I should do. :s: it isn't easy deciding. Grad schemes are around 3 years; time I may not necessarily have due to career breaks etc lol. I've dabbled with some internships in both public and private sector, but I still don't know. Allah hu ahlam.
I remember we had a convo a few years ago about you becoming an actuary or something, I may be mistaken. Your job sounds kinda cool, are you happy? If not, move on, you're young and capable of so much masha Allah. Aakhirah is the limit :tongue:

Assalaamu Alaikum! it's great to see old members back! I remember you also made the second Islamic Society thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=20565888&postcount=1 awesome! :yep:
Reply 2489
[video="youtube;nUhaZPhRikI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUhaZPhRikI[/video]
[video="youtube;qoSA7wGNhKs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoSA7wGNhKs[/video]
Original post by ko111
Assalaamu Alaikum! it's great to see old members back! I remember you also made the second Islamic Society thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=20565888&postcount=1 awesome! :yep:

What are you trying to say... You don't like the new ones? :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ttaylor17
What are you trying to say... You don't like the new ones? :rolleyes:

Lol I'm sure he didn't mean that.
Reply 2493
Original post by themorninglight

:rofl3:

I need English. :frown:
Original post by ko111
[video]

Original post by K1NG93
[video]

Both great videos. JZK for sharing :yy:
Original post by HAnwar
Both great videos. JZK for sharing :yy:

Cool :smile:
Original post by beautifulxxx
Is it true that those beed necklace thing that Muslims use to make dhirk is bid'ah? The prophet sallallahu alayhi wasalam only used his fingers...

Posted from TSR Mobile

afaik it is agreed that to use the fingers is better, but there is a difference upon whether it constitutes bid'ah.

islamqa.info
Some scholars say that it is permissible to use the masbahah (prayer beads), but they say that it is preferable to do tasbeeh (count praises) on one’s fingers; others say that it is bid’ah (reprehensible innovation).

(...)

Al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Salih al-‘Uthaymeen (al-Liqa al-Maftooh, 3/30) was asked whether using the masbahah for tasbeeh is bid’ah, and his reply was: “It is better not to do tasbeeh with the masbahah, but it is not bid’ah, because there is a basis for it, which is the fact that some of the Sahabah (Companions) did tasbeeh with pebbles. But the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) taught us that tasbeeh with the fingers is better, as he said, ‘Count with the fingertips, for they will be made to speak.’ Doing tasbeeh with the masbahah is not haram (impermissible) or bid’ah, but it is better not to do it, because the one who does tasbeeh with the masbahah has shunned something better. Using the masbahah may also be contaminated with some element of showing off, because we see some people carrying masbahahs that contain a thousand beads, as if they are telling people, ‘Look at me, I do a thousand tasbeehs!’ Secondly, those who use the masbahah for tasbeeh are usually absent-minded and not focused, so you see them doing tasbeeh with the beads, but their gaze is wandering all over the place, which indicates that they are not really concentrating. It is better to do tasbeeh with one’s fingers, preferably using the right hand rather than the left, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to count his tasbeeh on his right hand. If a person counts his tasbeeh using both hands, there is nothing wrong with that, but it is better to use the right hand only.”

Original post by Positron.
What do you mean he doesnt move? :s-smilie:

I dont know if this is correct, but i read somewhere that allah moves to the lower heavens every day or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Tawheed
Peace be with you.

There is a division between sunni's and shia's about this. I do not want to for a minute even discuss the sunni shia differences - i want us to merely use logic.

So lets forget we are muslims for a moment. Even some christians and deists believe God can not move.

You see, for something to 'move' it needs to act within time - it is limited by time. How can Allah swt be limited by time, when he himself created time?

Time, space, etc are all creations by Allah swt, he can not exist within them - he exists outside of them.

To say Allah swt descends means you give him two coordinates X and Y. He goes from X and comes to Y. This means Allah swt before descending is in place X - which limits Allah swt to one location. Allah swt is the creator of space, of laws, of limitations , he himself is free of all of these.

Allah can move. He descends to the lowest heaven during the last part of the night in a way that befits his majesty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, this:

Original post by Ibn Fulaan
This is needless complication of the Simple Aqeedah of ahl al sunnah.

To believe one or the other is not at all a matter for each Muslim to investigate.

Secondly, within the Sunnis, there is difference of interpretation on this.

Original post by Dima-Blackburn
I don't want to get banned for debating on this thread. We'll continue on PM/VM.

Thanks Dima :yy:

Original post by yusufu
Old (really really old) members on this thread! I see your 2 years and raise you 11...

All well alh as well. In Cordoba Spain at the moment on holiday from the cold snows!
Oh nice mA. What are you hoping to go into? Further academia or had enough?
Lol no not an actuary! Working for a large retailer HQ at the moment applying my general wisdom to drive future growth and profits! Just what I dreamt of doing as a child... :-(

What's Cordoba like?

Original post by aishachoudhry
Salam guys, I have a question relating to Nouman Ali Khan. I really enjoy his talks and lectures and particularly the illustrations. I think he's great for the youth however is his info enough? I feel like I'm missing out on things because he's mainly the person I listen to. Do you guys have any other suggestions of similar kind of people to listen to? Humorous and engaging?

Wa 'alaykum assalaam. He strives in his efforts to relate to us the beauty of the Quran, its depth and relevance to us. He may understandably not go into the details of other 'Islamic sciences' such as hadeeth studies, fiqh, 'aqeedah, etc. This is because he doesn't feel he knows enough about the areas to relay it to the people, whereas his tafseer lectures are essentially his summarised notes from numerous tafaseer with his own elaborations.
In regards to the convo thing, sheikhs, scholars etc...would say that unnecessary chatting you must avoid. When I sent an email to Mufti Menk, this is what he told me. As for friends, well I wouldn't befriend a male sis, but I see where you are coming from. And of course we are here for you on the ISOC sis, are you feeling better btw?
JazakAllahu khayan for your opinion xx

Jzk-k yes dear much better
You're welcome xo
Original post by ImNotMe
Assalaamu Alaikum, I pray you're all in good health. My local Masjid does the Kutbah in Punjabi/Urdu, and not in English. I only understand every third or fourth word and find it hard to understand the full lesson. I really wished they did it in English so I could understand it! It's an English area too, in an English country! Is this a serious issue?

Usually when I come home I find an English Kutbah on youtube to sort of make up for it lol.

Walaykumasalaam
I know even when my brothers come from masjid they don't understand either sometimes. Depends really whether it is English being spoken or Urdu.
Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
وَإِلَىٰ مَدْيَنَ أَخَاهُمْ شُعَيْبًا فَقَالَ يَا قَوْمِ اعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ وَارْجُوا الْيَوْمَ الْآخِرَ وَلَا تَعْثَوْا فِي الْأَرْضِ مُفْسِدِينَ

And to Madyan [We sent] their brother Shu'ayb, and he said, "O my people, worship Allah and expect the Last Day and do not commit abuse on the earth, spreading corruption."

Remember to stay away from abuse and oppression :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yy:
Walaykumasalaam everyone

Latest

Trending

Trending