The Student Room Group

What is your preferred hair length, and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manitude
My hair is roughly that long. Mine is very thin at the end because I don't take fantastic care of it.

Fair enough. I realize for myself that my imagination of men's hair is a stereotype.
Original post by Journeyzap
Just curious. :smile:

I used to always have super short hair thinking it was the easiest to manage.
Then Uni got in the way and I began growing it out - now it reaches my bum, and is easy to manage and looks better than my shorter hair IMO too.
I find I can do a lot more with it and it is much lower maintenance too.
When it first started getting long it would occasionally get in the way, but that is not the case anymore.

So my preferred hair length would probably be my current length, or even longer.

Mine is also so long that it reaches my bum :tongue: It's really thick as well so that can make it difficult with tying it up because I keep snapping my hair bands :lol:
It definitely is lower maintenance though!! I used to have shoulder length hair which I had to straighten daily, now I can air dry my hair, sleep on it and get out of bed with straight enough hair :biggrin:
I second that! that is why I have this length for some days again. Another reason is that I am looking like a little boy with longer hairs.
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Mine is also so long that it reaches my bum :tongue: It's really thick as well so that can make it difficult with tying it up because I keep snapping my hair bands :lol:
It definitely is lower maintenance though!! I used to have shoulder length hair which I had to straighten daily, now I can air dry my hair, sleep on it and get out of bed with straight enough hair :biggrin:

My hair doesn't even reach my shoulders and I have the problem with snapping hairbands, I have to use 2 at all times and carry 2 spare at least :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reallydontknow
My hair doesn't even reach my shoulders and I have the problem with snapping hairbands, I have to use 2 at all times and carry 2 spare at least :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hav you tried scrunchies? They do a lot better at holding my hair up :tongue: My hair is just too heavy to keep in a ponytail for long periods of time though :tongue:
Hav you tried scrunchies? They do a lot better at holding my hair up :tongue: My hair is just too heavy to keep in a ponytail for long periods of time though :tongue:

Don't think they're great for guys. I'm gonna stick with normal hairbands haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think they're great for guys. I'm gonna stick with normal hairbands haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woops didn't know you were a guy :colondollar:
Doubling up your hairbands is always the way to go :tongue:
Reply 27
I don't think long hair is necessarily femenine.
These guys looked really masculine (think Drogo from GoT) - they pulled it off really well, their hair was shiny, thick, glossy and long.
I usually like longish hair but above shoulders on men, but I swear those men were otherworldy! and no, I don't have any weird fetish, they just had incredibly long hair. :smile:
Although I do agree that thinner hair on men does look quite scraggly and unkempt if grown longer.

Drogo makes me appreciate long hair on men so much more. He's GORGEOUS.
and plus for them it meant the warrior hasn't been beaten so this adds to the masculinity.
also I think it does somewhat depend on the man himself, his body type etc.

uh.. let me just leave this here though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpl9IT8IauE
(edited 9 years ago)

My hair is super thick and snaps hairbands too.
Have you tried hairsticks or hairforks?
Those are what I use now - they look elegant, they do not damage hair, and they do a much better job than elastic bands. :smile:
Original post by Kallisto
I have seen some pictures about Drogo. And yes, you are really right! it does not look femenine. Nevertheless I am sure that not every men looks nice by wearing long hair.

It probably isn't a good look for every man, but for those men I saw in South America - they were the spitting image of Drogo, but with even longer and silkier hair. :smile:
Not really sure where the stereotype that women should have longer hair than men originally came from
My hair is super thick and snaps hairbands too.
Have you tried hairsticks or hairforks?
Those are what I use now - they look elegant, they do not damage hair, and they do a much better job than elastic bands. :smile:

I've never heard of those :redface: I will google them now :biggrin:
I like short hair, but only as I used to have long hair (down to my bum) which annoyed me so much! It used to get caught in doors, tangled all the time, other people would just touch it (wtf???) and after 16 years I was just fed up.
I wear my hair long, and I have been doing so for two years now. Was planning to go back to more masculine hair (short sides, medium top), but a lot of people at work are saying they like my hair long. So meh.
Reply 33
just Below the boob but it's currently abit shorter. Gonna grow it out to around that length and get rid of my layers and get a side fringe in cause I think it suits me better.
Original post by Manitude
My hair is roughly that long. Mine is very thin at the end because I don't take fantastic care of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why won't you cut it to shoulder length if your ends look scraggly? Surely quality > quantity?
Original post by Kallisto
Fair enough. I realize for myself that my imagination of men's hair is a stereotype.

No, I think your interpretation is correct. Not all facial types suit long hair.
My hair looks something like this at the moment:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Get better hairbands that are just fabric (without the metal). Thicker hairbands should do a good job, and invest in good ones (not a quid, but 3-4, it's worth it)

Maybe consider using a hair bungee, they're easier to tie around your hair and won't tangle it either.
Original post by perspiracious
No, I think your interpretation is correct. Not all facial types suit long hair.

Does this apply to women as well? to be honest I cannot imagine that there is no woman who would not look nice with long hair.
Reply 39
right now its near my belly button but not healthy at all so i am going to cut it just below my shoulder so i can grow it healthily
my preferred is healthy long which is my aim

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending