The Student Room Group

Should I resist my exams?

To give you a little bit of background info;
I'm 19, recently left sixth form after Year 13 with okayish results:
French: A
German: B
Product Design: E (no idea what happened here!)

Anyway, due to the distribution of my results, and the fact that I wanted to go to uni to study French and German, I decided to study (via distance learning - I'm on a gap year in Australia) Business Studies A Level to supplement my other grades. The studying is going really well, all As in my mocks and predicted an A overall by my tutor. Will probably push for an A* as Business is really about nailing the PEAE (exam technique) and that will come over time. However I still can't shake the feeling that I've under performed in my languages. I was hoping for an A* in French and an A in German at least (I was 5 UMS off A* in French and 7 UMS off A in German).

If all goes well with my Business Studies A Level, I should meet my offer for Warwick (firm), which is still a very good uni, and ranks very highly in the French and German departments amongst employers and also in tables, etc.

However, mainly due to my feeling of not fulfilling my potential in languages, I am considering going back to sixth form AFTER my business exams this year to resit (AQA course) GERM3 and FREN3, pushing for an A* in both subjects (would be possible by taking these two exams).

The only problem I would have is that this would mean a 2 year gap year and I am unsure how universities would view me as an applicant with this? Also is it worth giving up my potential place at Warwick to improve my grades and potentially apply to other universities (with A*AA-A*A*A you could try for pretty much anywhere, although Oxbridge may be a step to far due to the fractured nature of my education/resits.)

I would just really appreciate any advice anyone can give as I am totally unsure if I should do this/if it is worth doing 😕
Just go to university this year! Not much point in going back to resit. A+B Is really good
Congrats on your potential place at Warwick :smile:

You were quite close to the grades you wanted. It sounds like going for an A* in Business Studies will require alot of work - one option may be to stretch yourself and study the two language units as well.

Another option would be to do them during your first year of uni. This is something I'm attempting this year, though they're two maths modules. It seems hard and it'll require a lot of dillegence but I think it'd be better than taking out another year to do just those two exams.

Unless there's a place you'd like to apply that's more appealing to you than Warwick, I'd suggest going there this year.
Reply 3
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
Just go to university this year! Not much point in going back to resit. A+B Is really good

Thanks! Just playing on my mind is all :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Congrats on your potential place at Warwick :smile:

You were quite close to the grades you wanted. It sounds like going for an A* in Business Studies will require alot of work - one option may be to stretch yourself and study the two language units as well.

Another option would be to do them during your first year of uni. This is something I'm attempting this year, though they're two maths modules. It seems hard and it'll require a lot of dillegence but I think it'd be better than taking out another year to do just those two exams.

Unless there's a place you'd like to apply that's more appealing to you than Warwick, I'd suggest going there this year.

Thanks for your advice! I am considering taking them this year as well as my business ones but I don't think I'm going to take another year out - I really liked Warwick when I visited!

Quick Reply

Latest