The Student Room Group

Are soul mates real?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryJRussell
I never said there is a mystical force that cares about your love life, I am asking about "soul mates" people who are connected to one another even though they are not physically connected, and are destined to find each other, they could be a family member, a best friend, a teacher or in your case a lover.

"Soul mate" is used primarily to mean a romantic partner. But no, nothing is "destined", your life is what you make it, mixed with luck. The idea of soul mates is just used by egotists who want to convince themselves their life is special and the universe has some great purpose set out for them.

Original post by Allison.EG
Yeah, otherwise, the term "soul mate" will never have been conceptualized. :rolleyes:

Does this logic extent to the boogie man, unicorns, telekinesis and witchcraft?
Reply 41
Original post by Icebaker
Yes they're real. I found my soulmate, I fell in love with her instantly and I know that I'll always love her. I always knew that we were meant to be together, we were made for each other. She's the perfect girl, she really is my better half. She left me, she didn't feel the same about me, she never loved me, she only used me because she was bored and she wanted sex (she's a slut), she didn't want me. I found out she was having sex with lots of different men and giving blowjobs. But I still feel the same way toward her, maybe I'm crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes you're crazy and I just have to give you some tough love now... Get a grip that's no soulmate you were living in a fantasy wake the hell up.

You're probably a decent guy and you are wasting every chance you have of happiness with a decent girl hung up over a cow. What is with all you good people that are addicted to people who are bad for you? You get one shot on this earth and you my friend are wasting it don't let it get to the end like this because you otherwise you won't even know how precious you are until it's about to be all over... Never mind her!!
Original post by Mankytoes
Does this logic extent to the boogie man, unicorns, telekinesis and witchcraft?

I'd like to reverse my position and assert that soul mates, like those examples you give above, do not exist (at least because it's a fallacy to say something that is not backed up by examples in real) But, i'm not turning on my heel because of some sagacious and compelling response to an earlier post. Because soul mates actually exist but perhaps not in the way that you would have conceived.

If humans can develop finely honed skills in athletics. music ,etc. (maybe telekinesis, withchcraft) wouldnt it be equally possible for them to become perfectly suited and completely irreplaceable to their spouses? A musical genius develops perfect pitch and can create soul-stirring compositions of musical masterpieces. The best E-sports gamers combine incredible levels of synergy and precision with a holistic awareness of the playing field; at the highest level of play, Gaming e.g DOTA 2 becomes a game of split-second decisions. Someone who becomes fluent in a language “thinks” in that language—there is no effortful retrieval once the language becomes second nature.

Along these lines, for a couple in the later stages of a satisfying marriage, effective and respectful negotiation of challenges has become habitual. Love and respect for each other have been practiced so repeatedly that thoughts of separation are completely alien! The point is, there will come a point where their compatibilities become so intricately dovetailed that one's spouse could never be replaced by anyone else. Two individuals who have become irreplaceable to one another have become soul mates.

The transition point into the stage of becoming each other’s soul mate would be different for each couple, and some couples would arrive earlier than others. (Sadly, many couples never even come close to achieving this).

Despite strong criticism to the concept of soul mates, like any other concepts there will be something that seems disagreeable. By the way the Unicorn is Scotland's National Animal!
I feel like I incomplete, my life feels like a very big game of hide and seek because I feel like my whole purpose in life is to find my "other half", the half which completes me as edgy as that sounds.

If you want the answers you need to look inside yourself

You're already a whole person, it would be healther to start seeing yourself as one. If you're making finding the perfect companion/lover your "purpose", thats not healthy... learn to love yourself and to not place your happiness/fulfillment in another person you probably haven't even met.

How can I prove objectively something which is subjective?

Souls are very real, I can say that with certainty

If you can say it with certainty, its only logical that you should be asked to provide some objective evidence for this...

You're making a lot of contradictory statements... you don't quite seem sure of what you believe yourself just now, perhaps you should give it some thought.

To answer your question though, I don't believe in soulmates... if there is one person in the world that we are "destined to find" as you put it, then a hell of a lot of people are not fulfilling their so called "destiny"
There are people you're more or less compatible with, if you find someone you're very compatible with, thats great, but it doesn't mean you're "soulmates" good relationships need work, commitment and communication to work, not destiny.

The best relationships exists with two whole people who compliment each other, not two half people who are dependent on each other for their happiness and emotional/mental/spitirual fulfillment
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
ahh if anything, I'd like to believe they're real. If they are, then wonderful; being a spiritual person I think there are some things that can't always be explained- such as soul mates. :colondollar:
IT IS REAL ! BELIEVE ME.

It doesn't mean it will always succeed. After meeting your SM you have to work at it.

Believe me it will be completely different to any normal relationship you've ever had. Far and away much more meaningful
I believe in it!
Honestly I think it is real, you just see the love some couples have for eachother and you just know they were meant for eachother. I may be wrong but idk I feel that way.
I never said there is a mystical force that cares about your love life, I am asking about "soul mates" people who are connected to one another even though they are not physically connected, and are destined to find each other.

Destiny is a mystical force.
Original post by chocolatesauce
Honestly I think it is real, you just see the love some couples have for eachother and you just know they were meant for eachother. I may be wrong but idk I feel that way.

And do you not think they could form that same bond with a million other people from the ~3.5 billion of each sex on Earth? And how many times have you seen people who you thought were meant for each other who subsequently broke up?
There has to be someone on Earth who would make the best match for someone else although the chances of the two ever meeting would be close to zero. Then multiply that probablity by the probability of the latter person being the best match for the former and you have a number that for all intents and purposes is zero.
So there you have it, the chances of two people forming a relationship who happen to be the best match for each other out of everyone else on Earth are nil.
I've personally experienced it - out of this world. The intensity , passion , power !
Reply 52
Original post by Zenomorph
I've personally experienced it - out of this world. The intensity , passion , power !

If you have, then i think thats pretty awesome :tongue:
Yes I believe in soul mates! I believe that once in a lifetime you find a person you feel is the one for you and no one else will or can ever compare.
Original post by monlakh
If you have, then i think thats pretty awesome :tongue:

Unreal. You'll know he /she is something different / special the moment you see them.

It will never be someone you find unattractive, the physical will always always be strong but it's like you found the other half of your soul. Everytime you are together feels like cloud 9 and you hate it when you are apart almost to the point of physical sickness.
Reply 55
Original post by Zenomorph
Unreal. You'll know he /she is something different / special the moment you see them.

It will never be someone you find unattractive, the physical will always always be strong but it's like you found the other half of your soul. Everytime you are together feels like cloud 9 and you hate it when you are apart almost to the point of physical sickness.

well that sounds pretty darn amazing! I guess ur very lucky to experience something like that- which only one can hope for.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
And do you not think they could form that same bond with a million other people from the ~3.5 billion of each sex on Earth? And how many times have you seen people who you thought were meant for each other who subsequently broke up?

No I don't actually, it won't be the same. I have seen Quite a few long lasting relationships especially within my family, also look around you- have you not see elderly couples who have been together since they were very young. If not it's not my problem lol

Some peope find their soulmates and some people don't.
Original post by monlakh
well that sounds pretty darn amazing! I guess ur very lucky to experience something like that- which only one can hope for.

If you are open to it then he's out there, I promise you that. Be prepared when it happens it VERY powerful but never ever give in to doubt and cynicism, follow your gut. If you have powerful soul deep feelings, he will too. Must be courageous and follow your heart 1st and always.
Some people don't even believe in souls.
Original post by Allison.EG
I'd like to reverse my position and assert that soul mates, like those examples you give above, do not exist (at least because it's a fallacy to say something that is not backed up by examples in real) But, i'm not turning on my heel because of some sagacious and compelling response to an earlier post. Because soul mates actually exist but perhaps not in the way that you would have conceived.

If humans can develop finely honed skills in athletics. music ,etc. (maybe telekinesis, withchcraft) wouldnt it be equally possible for them to become perfectly suited and completely irreplaceable to their spouses? A musical genius develops perfect pitch and can create soul-stirring compositions of musical masterpieces. The best E-sports gamers combine incredible levels of synergy and precision with a holistic awareness of the playing field; at the highest level of play, Gaming e.g DOTA 2 becomes a game of split-second decisions. Someone who becomes fluent in a language “thinks” in that language—there is no effortful retrieval once the language becomes second nature.

Along these lines, for a couple in the later stages of a satisfying marriage, effective and respectful negotiation of challenges has become habitual. Love and respect for each other have been practiced so repeatedly that thoughts of separation are completely alien! The point is, there will come a point where their compatibilities become so intricately dovetailed that one's spouse could never be replaced by anyone else. Two individuals who have become irreplaceable to one another have become soul mates.

The transition point into the stage of becoming each other’s soul mate would be different for each couple, and some couples would arrive earlier than others. (Sadly, many couples never even come close to achieving this).

Despite strong criticism to the concept of soul mates, like any other concepts there will be something that seems disagreeable. By the way the Unicorn is Scotland's National Animal!

Well that's just redefining the concept. That clearly is a thing that happens, but it certainly doesn't require belief in anything that doesn't really exist, like the soul.

I know, it's ever worse than ours being the lion. It should be required to pick actual native fauna. How about the badger and the beaver?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending