The Student Room Group

Most of the main Green policies are terrifying

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by Jammy Duel
What has to be said is that people have been predicting this for decades, I suppose actually you could say centuries.

Absolutely. And we have mostly upskilled and maintained employment. It does seem like a logical inevitability, though. My point is rather it makes little sense to argue for a basic income in absence of affordability or large-scale necessity. It makes most sense in the context of extremely high productivity and very little employment, in my opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
On top of the fact that we've barely even explored the Moon so there is almost certainly an incredibly amount of completely undiscovered things there, it's already geologically very important. The moon has been more or less unchanged since a billion years after the formation of the solar system so it gives an excellent and (relatively) accessible insight into the conditions that were around during the earlier years of the solar system. The small number of samples we have managed to collect from the moon have already given us an incredible amount of information but there is still a lot that we don't understand. One area of particular interest is the formation of the moon which is still a partially unresolved area of science, something that relies on the very careful measurement of stable isotope ratios in lunar material. Any kind of industrial activity on the moon could very well have a moon-wide chemical effect and make measurements like these impossible. The level of precision required for these experiments is immense.

So find out the facts about the moon and then mine it?

"Utter obliteration" isn't far off. You don't have to literally physically defile the entire surface to destroy it. The whole value of the moon is that it's an absolutely ancient remnant from the early days of the solar system that has been untouched near then. Even if you've got a minor level of activity on it, you've still made that status irrelevant. A wilderness stops being a wilderness if you build on it, regardless if it's a city or a hamlet.

And yes, I'd support closing the coalmines. What I don't support is not creating any other kind of business for them to go into. What she did was terrible - closing coalmines is all well and good, but leaving people with no kind of business to go into is not.

Utter obliteration is far off though. As a race we have barely touched the vast majority of the Earth let alone dig through it and harness the resources. I see your point with the age of the moon but surely the answer is to just set limits on where people can mine and where they cannot?

And yes we have a Green Thatcherite! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 463
Original post by MrJAKEE
But I can assure you the public aren't scared about what a few scouts have done. They are more scared about a militant extremist blowing up a airplane with them in it or killing people in a rampage. It's the large amount of people they affect and obscenity of these crimes that is the scary part. I still don't see how legalising to join the organisation and then monitoring it will help in any way in stopping them. If anything, if there were plans that found people & monitored & prevented by the means of being in the organisation I'm sure it would lose trust in many extremists and they would do even more heinous crimes (furthering the disintegration with them in society).

Posted from TSR Mobile
so we should make it illegal because people are scared? That's reactionary and uncalled for.
i don't understand what you said there.
Original post by 41b
A human female pleasured me recently, and another wants to marry me. Can you say the same?

Average people would be a lot happier if they stopped trying to fix the world. There are already really smart people coming up with solutions vastly superior in scope and solution-power than the hairbrained ideas treehuggers come up with.

The green manifesto comes across exactly like that. The basic income will become an inevitability, when automation renders human labour irrelevant. But we're at least twenty years off from that. Before we get to the point where we can afford something like that, it is silly to argue for it.

Mining the moon would result in humanity literally transcending existence as we know it. And you're against it because of what grounds. What? We don't have a right to do what? What does that even mean? Who has the right to do anything? The universe is not governed by rights, but by power. Whoever can take, takes. There is no other law, no universal council that sits in the stars dictating what is just and unjust. Justice itself is a ridiculous idea but we've used it as humans to allow a functioning and productive society.

People who live in this justice-utopia don't live in the real world. The only law of existence is survival, and whatever guarantees survival will always succeed over what doesn't. When it comes to helium 3 mined on the moon, whoever is stupid enough not to do it will be colonised, dominated and killed. Would it be better for 2/3 of the world to be slaughtered or exploited because they followed green policies while the other 1/3 were smart enough to take what was ripe for the taking, and empower themselves as a result?

Really, think through the consequences of what you are arguing for. The people who would suffer most from environmentalist policies are the poor in the beautiful nirvana unindustrialised hellholes you want to return most of the world to. Nature is amazing, but nature is not conducive to human survival.

Average people might be a lot happier for a few years, until they realise that a future on a vastly less habitable planet is somewhat less attractive when you and your children are actually having to live on it. "Really smart people" are supporting the exact same ideas you're claiming are coming from "hairbrained treehuggers". Most scientists would absolutely support a total moratorium on industrial activity in Antarctica and the Arctic (which is why we have it) and I am sure a similar thing would go for the moon. There has already been academic opposition for this and calls for international treaties to prevent industrial activity in space.

I don't understand this cold view of things you have. I think you're forgetting that you're a human. We are an altruistic species that used to care for other people and for the environment before we got addicted by consumerism, capitalism and globalisation. We have completely forgotten our link with the planet and that is going to end in disaster. I can tell that you're a kind of futurist - it's not me that's not living in the real world, it's you. We are simply animals living on the surface of the planet that happen to have intelligence. We are not Gods, your perspective is totally wrong. It would simply take a body a kilometre across or so to wipe our species out of existence, or a volcanic eruption of the kind that happens every few million years. We are reliant on the planet, not the other way round. Anyone who gets this relationship mixed up is living with a very serious delusion.

People believe in this fallacy because they've lost their connection to nature. We live in artificial cities and in artificial societies and most people, like you, are totally ignorant of the fact that we are still completely vulnerable to nature. We are not in control of the Earth and we never will be. We are already in the process of rendering the planet less habitable and once we've done that, there's nothing we can do about it. There is no geoengineering fix that will solve that. Technology is a wonderful thing but only when it's used responsibly. What you are advocating is some God-fantasy that is just going to end in disaster. I think it's incredibly sad that you have absolutely no appreciation for nature. That sentimental link exists there for a reason - the love for the natural is a basic product of evolution.

And you are totally wrong in thinking that environmentalist policies would devastate the poor. The developing countries are going to gain the most from this. They have the unique chance of building up a completely sustainable infrastructure from the ground up, without having to reverse the momentum of an unsustainable system. If you think environmentalist policies are going to hurt the poor, you don't understand what these policies are. They will hurt the wealthy, absolutely. But not the poor.
Original post by Aph
so we should make it illegal because people are scared? That's reactionary and uncalled for.
i don't understand what you said there.

Yes we should, because most people find it completely incompatible with our way of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
Utter obliteration is far off though. As a race we have barely touched the vast majority of the Earth let alone dig through it and harness the resources. I see your point with the age of the moon but surely the answer is to just set limits on where people can mine and where they cannot?

And yes we have a Green Thatcherite! :wink:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Please tell me you don't actually mean the text in bold. We have affected the entire surface of the planet. Just think - we've literally altered the composition of the atmosphere, and that's just for starters. There is an anthropogenic geochemical symbol that exists across the entire planet. We have sufficiently changed the surface of the planet that the ICS is considering designating a new geological epoch, the Anthropocene. The anthropogenic effect on the planet will still be visible 100 million years in the future, and it is almost certain that evidence of us will remain for the rest of the Earth's existence. We have completely changed the planet - not necessarily in ways that are visible to the naked eye (although even if you do look at things at face value, humans have directly developed over half of the Earth's land area so the statement is totally wrong whatever way you look at it. And that statistic ignores the ocean which has been totally transformed by humans).

And no, it doesn't set limits. Mining has devastating environmental implications. Any kind of large scale industrial activity is going to affect the entire surface of the moon, unless it was literally done under the surface in a hole, which would probably not be economically viable. And actually, that's not even true because you'd still need surface activity for transportation. For cost savings, things would inevitably be discarded on the lunar surface. You'd turn it into a massive rubbish heap.

Agreeing with one aspect of someone's policy does not mean you support them.

Original post by KingStannis
So find out the facts about the moon and then mine it?

Science isn't a process that just stops. You don't "just find out facts", you gather information, generate new hypotheses and gather more information. It's an eternal process, that's why science is so beautiful. Discoveries generate new ideas, that's precisely why we need to preserve the moon. We have no idea what there is left to learn. There could be a discovery from the moon that could revolutionise human lives, we have no idea. Most of the most important discoveries and changes to human society have come from utterly unexpected places.
Reply 468
Original post by MrJAKEE
Yes we should, because most people find it completely incompatible with our way of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reaction it's policies never work.
Please tell me you don't actually mean the text in bold. We have affected the entire surface of the planet. Just think - we've literally altered the composition of the atmosphere, and that's just for starters. There is an anthropogenic geochemical symbol that exists across the entire planet. We have sufficiently changed the surface of the planet that the ICS is considering designating a new geological epoch, the Anthropocene. The anthropogenic effect on the planet will still be visible 100 million years in the future, and it is almost certain that evidence of us will remain for the rest of the Earth's existence. We have completely changed the planet - not necessarily in ways that are visible to the naked eye (although even if you do look at things at face value, humans have directly developed over half of the Earth's land area so the statement is totally wrong whatever way you look at it. And that statistic ignores the ocean which has been totally transformed by humans).

And no, it doesn't set limits. Mining has devastating environmental implications. Any kind of large scale industrial activity is going to affect the entire surface of the moon, unless it was literally done under the surface in a hole, which would probably not be economically viable. And actually, that's not even true because you'd still need surface activity for transportation. For cost savings, things would inevitably be discarded on the lunar surface. You'd turn it into a massive rubbish heap.

Science isn't a process that just stops. You don't "just find out facts", you gather information, generate new hypotheses and gather more information. It's an eternal process, that's why science is so beautiful. Discoveries generate new ideas, that's precisely why we need to preserve the moon. We have no idea what there is left to learn. There could be a discovery from the moon that could revolutionise human lives, we have no idea. Most of the most important discoveries and changes to human society have come from utterly unexpected places.

It's a lump of rock, so the only thing that we could probably find on it is a new mineral or something...which has to be mined...you see where this is heading?

I'll give you that it's probably geographically interesting and stuff, to people who like all that jazz. So we should give Scientists the chance to analyse it first; but I couldn't support Scientists just sitting on the rock and stopping it helping so many lives forever.
Reply 470
Average people might be a lot happier for a few years, until they realise that a future on a vastly less habitable planet is somewhat less attractive when you and your children are actually having to live on it. "Really smart people" are supporting the exact same ideas you're claiming are coming from "hairbrained treehuggers". Most scientists would absolutely support a total moratorium on industrial activity in Antarctica and the Arctic (which is why we have it) and I am sure a similar thing would go for the moon. There has already been academic opposition for this and calls for international treaties to prevent industrial activity in space.

I don't understand this cold view of things you have. I think you're forgetting that you're a human. We are an altruistic species that used to care for other people and for the environment before we got addicted by consumerism, capitalism and globalisation. We have completely forgotten our link with the planet and that is going to end in disaster. I can tell that you're a kind of futurist - it's not me that's not living in the real world, it's you. We are simply animals living on the surface of the planet that happen to have intelligence. We are not Gods, your perspective is totally wrong. It would simply take a body a kilometre across or so to wipe our species out of existence, or a volcanic eruption of the kind that happens every few million years. We are reliant on the planet, not the other way round. Anyone who gets this relationship mixed up is living with a very serious delusion.

People believe in this fallacy because they've lost their connection to nature. We live in artificial cities and in artificial societies and most people, like you, are totally ignorant of the fact that we are still completely vulnerable to nature. We are not in control of the Earth and we never will be. We are already in the process of rendering the planet less habitable and once we've done that, there's nothing we can do about it. There is no geoengineering fix that will solve that. Technology is a wonderful thing but only when it's used responsibly. What you are advocating is some God-fantasy that is just going to end in disaster. I think it's incredibly sad that you have absolutely no appreciation for nature. That sentimental link exists there for a reason - the love for the natural is a basic product of evolution.

And you are totally wrong in thinking that environmentalist policies would devastate the poor. The developing countries are going to gain the most from this. They have the unique chance of building up a completely sustainable infrastructure from the ground up, without having to reverse the momentum of an unsustainable system. If you think environmentalist policies are going to hurt the poor, you don't understand what these policies are. They will hurt the wealthy, absolutely. But not the poor.

We lost touch with nature for a reason. Capitalism -cooperative competition - is the law of life.

Well, he's actually right, consider how big the earth is, we've just made scratches in it, we have hardly used any of the earths hidden resources. we've only dug a few km deep, the earth is thousands of km in radius.
It's a lump of rock, so the only thing that we could probably find on it is a new mineral or something...which has to be mined...you see where this is heading?

I'll give you that it's probably geographically interesting and stuff, to people who like all that jazz. So we should give Scientists the chance to analyse it first; but I couldn't support Scientists just sitting on the rock and stopping it helping so many lives forever.

Are you serious?! I just wrote an entire paragraph about the scientific value of the moon and you're saying that? I mean, apart from the fact that most minerals are of absolutely no economic interest whatsoever which makes it nonsense anyway, there is so much more scientific value than "just minerals".

It's not just interesting to geographers, they're probably one of the least interested groups. It's interesting to astrophysicists, geochemists, geophysicists, paleobiologists, planetary scientists, atmospheric physicists, physicists and chemists in general and probably a whole host of other academic disciplines. You can't set a time slot for scientific investigation. The moment you start industrial activity, you've caused irreparable damage.
Original post by 41b
We lost touch with nature for a reason. Capitalism -cooperative competition - is the law of life.

No, that is not the law of life. That's the law of 20th Century life. That is not a sustainable law.

Original post by reallydontknow
Well, he's actually right, consider how big the earth is, we've just made scratches in it, we have hardly used any of the earths hidden resources. we've only dug a few km deep, the earth is thousands of km in radius.

He's not right at all. Most of the Earth is totally inaccessible to humans and always will be. There is a reason why we've only dug a few kilometres deep. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to dig a hole when you've got kilometres of rock on top of you? There's a limit of how strong a construction you can physically build. Techno-fixes are not going to enable us to start mining significantly in the deep crust. No amount of technological innovation is going to change the very basic physical constraints that prevent you from getting down there. On top of that, in terms of minerals, the deep crust isn't as interesting as the top of the crust. The highest concentrations of minerals that are common in the crust are at the surface, not near the moho.

Yes we haven't dug in and harnessed resources for the majority of the Earth. Affected, yes I'd agree, but harnessed resources? No. The moon has no atmosphere, please tell us how ALL of the moons surface would be affected if we went there to do mining.

When I say create limits I mean form binding legislation to stop mining companies going into particular parts of the moon.

I knew you weren't a Thatcherist I think it's quite obvious Chloro :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 475
Are you serious?! I just wrote an entire paragraph about the scientific value of the moon and you're saying that? I mean, apart from the fact that most minerals are of absolutely no economic interest whatsoever which makes it nonsense anyway, there is so much more scientific value than "just minerals".

It's not just interesting to geographers, they're probably one of the least interested groups. It's interesting to astrophysicists, geochemists, geophysicists, paleobiologists, planetary scientists, atmospheric physicists, physicists and chemists in general and probably a whole host of other academic disciplines. You can't set a time slot for scientific investigation. The moment you start industrial activity, you've caused irreparable damage.

Yeah... the value of the helium 3, and the unlimited free energy and transcendance of energy limits that we currently face is vastly more important than whatever pleasure treehugging nerds will get from .. "examining" lunar rocks.

Look, fine you can have the moon but asteroids at least should be put to market forces.
Original post by Aph
Reaction it's policies never work.

Not true... But your same argument could be said over anti-austerity policies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
Yes we haven't dug in and harnessed resources for the majority of the Earth. Affected, yes I'd agree, but harnessed resources? No. The moon has no atmosphere, please tell us how ALL of the moons surface would be affected if we went there to do mining.

When I say create limits I mean form binding legislation to stop mining companies going into particular parts of the moon.

I knew you weren't a Thatcherist I think it's quite obvious Chloro :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Just think for a moment about the effects industry is going to have. In order to make it financially viable, it will be the quickest and dirtiest kind of operation possible. It will be massive-scale open cast mining because the concentrations of minerals in the moon are going to be very, very low. You don't get mineral veins on the moon, they're generated by geological processes that only occur on tectonically active bodies. The moon has a higher concentration of certain elements that exist in the crust but those concentrations are still very, very low. A huge amount of material would have to be displaced. In order to minimise the transportation costs, all of that material would have to be processed on the moon, so that's more structures that have to be built. An incredible amount of waste would be generated that can't be transported back to the earth because it's too expensive, so that's dumped there too. You'll need accommodation for humans and probably some kind of farm to grow food to again minimise transportation costs. And once again, all of this generates yet more waste. The travel itself is going to have an impact across the moon - it might not have an atmosphere but partially because of this, ejecta from high above the surface can reach any part of the lunar surface. And again, you don't need a visible layer of material to constitute contamination. We're talking about part-per-trillion level precision in some measurements.
Look, fine you can have the moon but asteroids at least should be put to market forces.

I don't think we need to worry about asteroids since any hope of accessing them is centuries away.

Original post by 41b
Yeah... the value of the helium 3, and the unlimited free energy and transcendance of energy limits that we currently face is vastly more important than whatever pleasure treehugging nerds will get from .. "examining" lunar rocks.

You're not going to get "unlimited free energy", I have no idea where you got that idea from. Surprisingly enough, transporting materials to the moon and back is not free. On top of that, you're banking on a technology that doesn't exist. And it's not at all more important. Not only is He-3 not the only possible fuel for fission (if we even get it working) but there are plenty of other technologies that can easily fill its place. Germany has already managed to get a huge amount of communal renewables investment with very little intervention. Fission is not something we need and it certainly will not be free or green if we have to transport Helium from the moon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending