The Student Room Group

Is it unattractive for a guy to cry?

Just a question, is it unattractive for guys to cry?

I had a break up 4 months ago (2.5 years relationship) and my personality somehow changed. Just today I found myself breaking down into tears when watching a pretty sad scene in an anime (Yes, I am a bit of an anime fan). Before, I was someone who rarely cried. I did not even cry when my grandpa passed away.

Personally I feel like it is some what feminine for a guy to cry and wouldn't be attractive. What are your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have seen my bf cry over major things such as when one of our cats died and when a family member died plus at trivial things such as films like The Notebook and it didn't once make me view him in a different light or see him as weak or unattractive. Its obviously not nice seeing someone cry but if a guy wants to cry, he shouldn't be ridiculed for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at all. I think it's endearing when a guy shows his sensitive side.

Just as long as he's not more emotional than me. Because that would be a wreck...
Reply 3
if by 'feminine' you mean having actual human feelings, then... lol
obviously it's not, like, hot, but it's not a bad thing if somebody cries
Reply 4
It's uncomfortable seeing someone cry. But I certainly don't find it unattractive, unless the person does it all the time at the drop of a hat for little reason (or for seemingly manipulative reasons).

I actually get offended if my partner cries and tries to hide it from me. I want to be able to help, and I don't want to feel like he feels I'll judge. He should know me better than that.
I think it's really nice when a boy/man can cry without feeling like he needs to hide it or that it's wrong. It's a strength of anything :smile:
It's a good thing in my eyes. Nowadays it's too often the case that men are taught to be remote, emotionless, glacial etc. but crying is nothing to be ashamed of. It's an expression of something deep within you, not a sign of weakness. :smile:
Reply 7
I find it uncomfortable seeing anyone cry, but if you're on about should men cry/hold it in etc. then I don't think it's wrong for men to cry at all haha. I haven't cried in front of anyone for about 6 years though I prefer not to :tongue:
I don't think it's particularly attractive or unattractive tbh. :indiff: I'd react the same way towards a girl who crying. It wouldn't make me think any less of them. :h: :redface:

However... It might annoy me if they were crying for a selfish reason. (Same reaction towards a girl) :colonhash: :tongue:

Original post by Anonymous
Just today I found myself breaking down into tears when watching a pretty sad scene in an anime (Yes, I am a bit of an anime fan). Before, I was someone who rarely cried. I did not even cry when my grandpa passed away.

It will get better. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Depends on how often and what the guy is crying about. If its something silly, it would annoy me a bit.
Reply 10
i dont think so we all get upset some show it some dont

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a break up 4 months ago (2.5 years relationship) and my personality somehow changed. Just today I found myself breaking down into tears when watching a pretty sad scene in an anime (Yes, I am a bit of an anime fan). Before, I was someone who rarely cried. I did not even cry when my grandpa passed away.

Personally I feel like it is some what feminine for a guy to cry and wouldn't be attractive. What are your opinions?

Of course not. Crying isn't anything to be ashamed of..it just shows that you have emotion, like everybody else. Anyone who thinks its a weakness just has their head up their arse and needs to swallow their pride.
In general nah, although I also think it depends on how often & on what. All of the vids on my sig have made me cry :cool:
I think women probs don't mind it if you're in a relationship with them. But if they see you outside crying for no reason then they'll probably think "he's male friend material".
Reply 14
Bitches will be saying it's fine, but in reality we all know they are judging you. Don't listen to them and don't cry in front of them...unless it's major like close family death.
no it's fine omg u guys gotta stop worrying about ur masculinity

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm only really interested in what anime this was?!

Regarding the crying; if it just happens then holding it in is bad for you so just let it be. I think maybe it's like this because often we can be very detached and desensitized so in that sense crying kind of reminds you you're still sane.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by KingStannis
I think women probs don't mind it if you're in a relationship with them. But if they see you outside crying for no reason then they'll probably think "he's male friend material".

This may well be true. But then people get written off as relationship material for all sorts of reasons when not yet in the relationship. It's a game of risk after all. Easier to pass on something that seems like it might not be perfect and keep looking, rather than go into something already knowing there might be a problem.
Original post by kumon
Bitches will be saying it's fine, but in reality we all know they are judging you. Don't listen to them and don't cry in front of them...unless it's major like close family death.

I agree.
Honestly, I think it depends on the situation and the environment.

Generally I don't think there is a problem, it's not wrong, or weird, or stupid - it's totally normal. But I remember about nine months ago, my boyfriend and I were very close to breaking up. I was so bored of him. So when I told him I thought it would be a good idea to take a break, he started to cry. He scrunched his face up like an angry baby and his eyes went red and puffy. And I laughed at him.

I'm still with him, if you ask. Still, also bored. Dreading the waterworks again.

So to wrap it up - yes, it's alright, depending on the situation - things like family deaths are perfectly normal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending