The Student Room Group

Insurance Question

Bit of nightmare yesterday but my next door neighbour reversed into my car and caused a dent . She has phoned up her insurance company and made a case for me to phone up to to give details .I thought that would be ok but remembered my policy has £350 excess which i cant afford to pay .Seems unfair that i have to pay excess for something thats not my fault ? Any advice ?
Reply 1
The excess is there for when you have an accident that is your fault. You pay the first part of a claim against your own insurance, not against someone elses.

Put a claim in, you won't have to contribute a penny towards it as it's a non-fault claim and the third party has admitted liability.

~Matt
Reply 2
Original post by danty
The excess is there for when you have an accident that is your fault. You pay the first part of a claim against your own insurance, not against someone elses.

Put a claim in, you won't have to contribute a penny towards it as it's a non-fault claim and the third party has admitted liability.

~Matt

I called her insurance and gave my details . Her insurance company is paying for repair and giving me a courtesy car.
Original post by scott125
I called her insurance and gave my details . Her insurance company is paying for repair and giving me a courtesy car.

Do remember that regardless of whether its your fault or not, your renewal may come up more expensive
Original post by Iqbal007
Do remember that regardless of whether its your fault or not, your renewal may come up more expensive

True- but if you do it by phone and speak to them in person about it- most companies wont increase the premium if it you wherent at fault. It works- my dads tried it.
Original post by Emma:-)
It works- my dads tried it.

I hardly think that this is the most conclusive of evidence.

Maybe it's because he's an old man with NCB and years of driving experience? I think it'd be a different story for someone younger with less years driving experience.
Original post by TheGhostz
I hardly think that this is the most conclusive of evidence.

Maybe it's because he's an old man with NCB and years of driving experience? I think it'd be a different story for someone younger with less years driving experience.

He isnt the only person i know who has tried it. He was just an example.
But its amazing what you can do if you phone up and speak to them (its like magically reducing your renewal, when you say you will go elsewhere, but thats a different story).
You shouldnt have to pay extra for an accident that wasnt your fault. And when you challenge it, most companies will back down.
He isnt the only person i know who has tried it. He was just an example.

You mean he's just a bad example?

But its amazing what you can do if you phone up and speak to them (its like magically reducing your renewal, when you say you will go elsewhere, but thats a different story).

It doesn't matter if Osama bin Laden himself is on the other end, your premium won't be reduced. If it was that simple then everyone would have cheap insurance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
All that's left to do now is tell the insurance company that you were inside the vehicle and your neck hurts alot ever since.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGhostz
You mean he's just a bad example?

It doesn't matter if Osama bin Laden himself is on the other end, your premium won't be reduced. If it was that simple then everyone would have cheap insurance.

Look, you sound like a very silly girl, I suggest you go back to the kitchen.

Look, my dad wasnt the best example i could have used, but you get the point.
If you challenge it and refuse to pay the extra, as it was a non blameworthy accident, then most companies wont charge you the extra.

And yes, you can get the price reduced if you phone up and speak to them. A good example is last year, when i renewed mine. When i went to my insurers website as a new customer, the price was cheaper than id been quoted for the same cover- which is typical of most companies as they seem to have better offers for their new customers and arent loyal to their current customers. I phoned them up to query this- and got it reduced. And im not the only one to have done this.

And its true- you shouldnt be penalised for an accident that was SOMEONE ELSES fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending