The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Dear GraceYim,

I applied on October 27th, for IR Theory, and received my offer a week ago... so don't worry, but it might take a while!! Good luck :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by jakepro94
Applied for Social Policy and Sociology in late Nov. Got the 2 week email, followed by the 8 week email on the 19th of Dec. Still waiting.

Don't forget the two weeks that they were closed for Christmas. Your time frame is very similar to mine in that the 8 weeks expires in early March...
Original post by GraceYim
Did anyone receive offers/updated emails for any of the four courses: BSc Economics, BSc International Relations, BSc Social Policy and Economics, and BSc Politics and International Relations? (I applied on January 15th and I got my updated wait 8 weeks message for all but Economics... should I be worried?)

Did you apply for all FOUR of those courses at LSE? If yes, what did you use for your other choice?
I suspect that LSE could well be dealing with the applications and sending out offers in order of how the applications were received. Obviously they could get back to you before the 8 weeks are up but if they don't, it doesn't mean that it is bad news because they are others in similar situations. Keep checking on this thread to see how everyone is getting on. There are people who applied in October, November & December who haven't heard anything bar the 8 week email.
Original post by lillyk94
Dear GraceYim,

I applied on October 27th, for IR Theory, and received my offer a week ago... so don't worry, but it might take a while!! Good luck :smile:

Hi thanks for the reply. Appreciate it :smile: and congratulations!!!
Did they send you the 2 week then the 8 week email as well? and also which between UCAS and LSE told you first?
Original post by JamjamjamT
Did you apply for all FOUR of those courses at LSE? If yes, what did you use for your other choice?
I suspect that LSE could well be dealing with the applications and sending out offers in order of how the applications were received. Obviously they could get back to you before the 8 weeks are up but if they don't, it doesn't mean that it is bad news because they are others in similar situations. Keep checking on this thread to see how everyone is getting on. There are people who applied in October, November & December who haven't heard anything bar the 8 week email.

Thanks for replying :smile:
and to answer your questions yes I've applied to those 4 and BSc Economics at UCL.

Though the fact that you said FOUR in caps seems just a little worrisome to me... is it because no one applies like this? or is it because they're not good enough programs?
(I from Canada and I'm not so familiar with the UK universities)
Thanks for replying :smile:
and to answer your questions yes I've applied to those 4 and BSc Economics at UCL.

Though the fact that you said FOUR in caps seems just a little worrisome to me... is it because no one applies like this? or is it because they're not good enough programs?
(I from Canada and I'm not so familiar with the UK universities)

As far as I know, it is common practice to spread your choices across several Universities because that gives you better chances of getting a place. I am not sure of how competitive all the courses you picked are but I do know that Economics is ultra competitive at LSE and probably UCL.
Most people tend to also pick at least one safe choice where the likely offer is one that is virtually guaranteed and maybe use it as an insurance choice if they miss the grades for their firm choice.

According to Which the percentage of applicants who get an offer at LSE for your courses are:-
Economics - 14%
International Relations - 11%
Social Policy & Economics - 8%
Politics & International Relations - no data

That suggests they are very competitive but you do have a slight advantage being an international student :wink:
Original post by JamjamjamT
As far as I know, it is common practice to spread your choices across several Universities because that gives you better chances of getting a place. I am not sure of how competitive all the courses you picked are but I do know that Economics is ultra competitive at LSE and probably UCL.
Most people tend to also pick at least one safe choice where the likely offer is one that is virtually guaranteed and maybe use it as an insurance choice if they miss the grades for their firm choice.

According to Which the percentage of applicants who get an offer at LSE for your courses are:-
Economics - 14%
International Relations - 11%
Social Policy & Economics - 8%
Politics & International Relations - no data

That suggests they are very competitive but you do have a slight advantage being an international student :wink:

oh... I see what you mean :biggrin: but I've also applied to universities here in Canada too where I've already gotten a full offer back!!!
and I didn't know there was an advantage of being international? (could you explain a bit more? thanks)

also does UCL and LSE only give out conditional offers?
The advantage I spoke of was simply the amount of tuition fees that international students have to pay compared to UK students. The perception is that if two candidates were equal and the Uni was unable to split them but one was from UK and the other one was international then the Uni would choose the international student because they would get virtually double the tuition fee.
I don't know or even think that there is any data out there to validate or disprove it and I doubt that any Uni would even admit it. My college lecturer was just talking about applying to Uni and that was what she said.

As far as I know, very few of the very top Universities like UCL and LSE give out unconditional offers as standard but they will give them if the entry standards have already been met.
Hi thanks for the reply. Appreciate it :smile: and congratulations!!!
Did they send you the 2 week then the 8 week email as well? and also which between UCAS and LSE told you first?

Thanks :smile:! No I didnt get the 8 week email :smile: LSE ( I applied for postgrad- we dont go though Ucas)
Original post by Dmirza96
I'm so sorry to hear that! I ran my PS through about 3 teachers who commended it highly, in fact they told me it was one of the best that they had read - I find it odd that the only reason they gave for rejecting me was that my PS wasn't good enough.

I don't know much about how the IB is marked or anything, but 43/45 seems insanely good - It is a real shame that we didn't make it.

Best of luck with your other choices!

Thanks, I'm waiting for UCL too! Wish you all the best too! Yeah, they said the same about my PS too lol. Oh well, we'll seee!
Original post by uncleshneb
Sorry to hear that. I've applied for maths and econ but still in the 4 week email. Did you really get a rejection on a Wednesday?

Yeah, I did! I thought it pretty odd that they didn't stick to their usual days, but I guess the inflow of applications was huge. My friend got rejected from straight Econs on Saturday morning, so yea... Good luck to you!
Hello. I've applied to warwick for economics and they had asked me to send them a mail from my school. When I send them something, I got a mail saying 'thanks for you query..' However when I got it sent from my school email id, I didnt get anything like this. Is there something wrong or am I being paranoid?
Original post by Ashrav30
Hello. I've applied to warwick for economics and they had asked me to send them a mail from my school. When I send them something, I got a mail saying 'thanks for you query..' However when I got it sent from my school email id, I didnt get anything like this. Is there something wrong or am I being paranoid?

Warwick? But this is the LSE thread.. Sorry, can't help you out. Hope you get your answer soon :smile:
Original post by Ashrav30

I think this question would be better asked in the Warwick thread? :wink: ;D
Thanks for the reply. I was just going to ask what your grades were but someone beat me to it :smile:

Do you know what this is converted to the IB grading system? I'm from Canada and we dont have the GCSEs... and also did your UCAS application track update at all before you got your offer? Mines just remained the sames since the day I applied...

Sorry I have no idea, but I'm sure theres some form IB score conversion online. My LSE application on UCAS didn't change at all for 3 months...(which is when I got my offer)
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Got an email asking for further info (post A-Level). My heart dropped when I saw an LSE email (on a Friday of all days!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

what did they ask ya ? :smile:
Original post by jchap9776
what are your stats if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

I'm international (EU) so I don't have UMS or anything. I'm predicted 9.8 out of 10 though, if that helps :smile:
3rd week of my 4 beginning tomorrow... oh man...
Tomorrow is the start of the 5th week of my 4 week email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PrincessAlexis
what did they ask ya ? :smile:

Just about module grades from my year @ UCL :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending