The Student Room Group

Good enough for Economics at LSE, Cambridge or any other top 5?

Hello, I know my GCSEs aren't great. But I was wondering if I still have a realistic chance of getting an offer.

GCSEs
Maths A*
Religious Studies A*
Geography A
Literature A
English A
Further Maths A
Chemistry A

Biology B
Physics B
History B
German B

AS
Maths A (100%)
Further Maths A (83%)
Geography A (96%)
Economics A (89%)
History A (84%)

I dropped geography for A2, just because the lessons are so bad.

Extra-Curricular
- Intermediate French and German
- Duke of Ednburgh
- National Citizenship Service
- Durham Supported Progression
- Mentor and Prefect
- Year 9 maths mentor

I have also got a month of finance related work experience.

Thanks, I'm sure you can appreciate how competitive economics is!
Reply 1
Lol
Original post by jake4198
Hello, I know my GCSEs aren't great. But I was wondering if I still have a realistic chance of getting an offer.

GCSEs
Maths A*
Religious Studies A*
Geography A
Literature A
English A
Further Maths A
Chemistry A

Biology B
Physics B
History B
German B

AS
Maths A (100%)
Further Maths A (83%)
Geography A (96%)
Economics A (89%)
History A (84%)

I dropped geography for A2, just because the lessons are so bad.

Extra-Curricular
- Intermediate French and German
- Duke of Ednburgh
- National Citizenship Service
- Durham Supported Progression
- Mentor and Prefect
- Year 9 maths mentor

I have also got a month of finance related work experience.

Thanks, I'm sure you can appreciate how competitive economics is!

GCSEs are not important to most places and LSE is the place which is most likely to care. I understand the desire to go to a really top uni, but the quality of jobs open to you with an LSE or Cambridge Econ degree compared with a UCL it Warwick degree is no different, and how much you like the place should be the deciding factor. I'm currently holding an unconditional offer from UCL for Econ with a year abroad despite having 0 relevant work experience, being a drop our from a Maths degree (at Warwick) and never having studied Economics before. What I did offer was strong Mathematical ability and (imo) an extremely honest and strong personal statement. I didn't apply for LSE because I don't get a good vibe from it and prefer UCL, and I got rejected from Cambridge post-interview. If you apply to a bunch of the top unis you'll get a few of them if you apply and have a personal statement I think :smile:
Original post by Wahrheit
GCSEs are not important to most places and LSE is the place which is most likely to care. I understand the desire to go to a really top uni, but the quality of jobs open to you with an LSE or Cambridge Econ degree compared with a UCL it Warwick degree is no different, and how much you like the place should be the deciding factor. I'm currently holding an unconditional offer from UCL for Econ with a year abroad despite having 0 relevant work experience, being a drop our from a Maths degree (at Warwick) and never having studied Economics before. What I did offer was strong Mathematical ability and (imo) an extremely honest and strong personal statement. I didn't apply for LSE because I don't get a good vibe from it and prefer UCL, and I got rejected from Cambridge post-interview. If you apply to a bunch of the top unis you'll get a few of them if you apply and have a personal statement I think :smile:

Yeah I totally agree with you. My point was however I didn't want to apply somewhere which might just be a wasted application. Cambridge economics is more ocmpetitive than even medicine so I have to be very picky.

I'd be more than happy with UCL or Warwick, the study abroad at UCL, as well as it being in the capital, is very appealing to me too.

I hope UCL works out for you :smile:
Yeah I totally agree with you. My point was however I didn't want to apply somewhere which might just be a wasted application. Cambridge economics is more ocmpetitive than even medicine so I have to be very picky.

I'd be more than happy with UCL or Warwick, the study abroad at UCL, as well as it being in the capital, is very appealing to me too.

Yeah, tbh Cambridge econ is one of the most competitive courses to get in to in the country so it's always going to be a long shot no matter who you are. Tbh if you apply to say, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham for example, you'll probably get in to one of them, and even if you don't you can add choices if you get 5 rejections using UCAS Extra. You only won't get in for sure if you don't apply ^^

Also thanks, hope everything works it for you as well!
Reply 5

I'm afraid with 83% in further maths and 89% in Economics and with (by Cambridge standards) poor GCSEs Cambridge is not worth trying for.
LSE is also pretty impossible-the going rate appears to be around 8A* at GCSE although this only applies to their pure Economics course.
UCL asks for maths UMS and so whilst a long shot (the GCSEs won't help) it may be worth one line.
Most other good Economics unis ask foe A*AA which you will satisfy so I think you will get several other offers.
Reply 6
Original post by Colmans
I'm afraid with 83% in further maths and 89% in Economics and with (by Cambridge standards) poor GCSEs Cambridge is not worth trying for.
LSE is also pretty impossible-the going rate appears to be around 8A* at GCSE although this only applies to their pure Economics course.
UCL asks for maths UMS and so whilst a long shot (the GCSEs won't help) it may be worth one line.
Most other good Economics unis ask foe A*AA which you will satisfy so I think you will get several other offers.

100% in maths is much better than 8A* in GCSE. Cambridge is unlikely cos everyone else will have 95+% on all 4 AS. There is a chance at LSE with a very good PS cos they love good maths/ further maths grades. The 83% won't help too much.
Reply 7
Original post by ETRC
100% in maths is much better than 8A* in GCSE. Cambridge is unlikely cos everyone else will have 95+% on all 4 AS. There is a chance at LSE with a very good PS cos they love good maths/ further maths grades. The 83% won't help too much.

There are 12-14 applications per place at LSE for the Economics course including the majority of the 5/6 applicants to Cambridge who will fail to get an offer. Most of them will be predicted A* in maths and probably FM. The LSE website says:
Academic profile (predicted and achieved grades)
Successful applicants for this programme are, usually, predicted A*AA in their A level examinations (or 38 and above IB points, with higher level subjects as the above list) and have already achieved excellent GCSE grades including the majority at A and A*. The Economics selectors consider not just the number of top GCSE grades that you have, but also your overall GCSE subject profile.

The year I went to Cambridge there were people with high UMS who had not got an offer for LSE due to poor GCSE grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Colmans

I hope you are very confident when you say things like this. As an Economics undergrad at one of the aforementioned unis with friends at all of the others, just because you don't fit the "ideal profile" of 8A* at GCSE, 95% average UMS or whatever, it does not mean that you won't get an offer. There are exceptions to this everywhere, and telling someone not to bother applying because it's going to be impossible is silly.

OP, if I were you and I really wanted to get into one of the top universities I'd apply to as many of them as possible and hope for the best. Your AS scores are very good and should make up for lacklustre GCSE's if you can show passion in your personal statement. Just be warned that it is a lottery with these universities and if you take a high risk strategy you should be prepared to take a gap year and try again.
Reply 9
Original post by FVP
I hope you are very confident when you say things like this. As an Economics undergrad at one of the aforementioned unis with friends at all of the others, just because you don't fit the "ideal profile" of 8A* at GCSE, 95% average UMS or whatever, it does not mean that you won't get an offer. There are exceptions to this everywhere, and telling someone not to bother applying because it's going to be impossible is silly.

OP, if I were you and I really wanted to get into one of the top universities I'd apply to as many of them as possible and hope for the best. Your AS scores are very good and should make up for lacklustre GCSE's if you can show passion in your personal statement. Just be warned that it is a lottery with these universities and if you take a high risk strategy you should be prepared to take a gap year and try again.

As a Cambridge Economist who also got an LSE offer I am confident of what I say. See the quote from LSE. The question was "have I a realistic chance of an offer?" If the question had been "is there any possibility however remote?" I might have answered differently.
I suggested he give one of these top names a go with his best chance being UCL then use his other choices wisely. I saw several people who aimed too high and ended up with no offers, not everybody wants to risk lots of rejections.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending