The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

In relation to the word 'culture' (seriously now), I don't believe in that in all of its specifity. You can't represent each individual in a generalisation such as 'British food is: fish and chips.....'
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by amberskye
What, so when I'm a big girl I can go to the races and eat cream teas whilst exclaiming how very British I am?
Did I say you must do that?

I offered my 'tuppence worth' of stereotypically British pastimes and things from my own perspective not yours.

It's a free country - which is why one can do and say as pleases within the law.
(edited 9 years ago)
It's probably because our kindly government has done its very best to not help define it for us, by not claiming there to really be such a thing in the name of multiculturalism.

That's not to denigrate our immigrants, who are lovely beyond measure, but in recent years our public officials have been unwilling to acknowledge such a thing as Britishness exists. Also, among some, there's actually been the opinion that it's racist or "out of date."

Granted, it's hard to really put into words, but there is a sort of character to this island that's passed along through the years, changing here and there with the times, but generally the same: a certain devotion to our history, our language, our laws and customs and constitution, our institutions. Our church, even for those who are not religious, carries with it certain traditions of language and ceremony that is unique to us.

But in the end, these are just things. What's in them is what can't be defined.
im brown, i love my ethnic culture and heritage, but i do identify a lot with the country that i was bloody born and raised in.

london is by far my favourite place in the world, and england is always my home. on top of that, i love the english culture and history. throughout history england has created some of the greatest badasses in the world, i love the drug culture here, the girls, the money that can be made, the pretty london metropolis etc etc.

however i also regard my southern asian heritage a little more.

that said, i can't not feel british since a whole lot of my identity has been shaped and created right here.

and yes, i would fight for england in world war 3 and not feel bad about it
(edited 9 years ago)
I like a lot of British Culture, I have a British sense of humour, and much of my heritage is British nobility. However, I have always felt more in touch with my Irish heritage.
Original post by spurs9393
If you don't feel British then why are you in Britain?

There's a myriad of reasons

People might identify as English/Welsh/Scottish etc..
They might not have been born here
They might just be here for work
They might not identify to any nation state, because they lack patriotism
They might identify as "human" instead of "British"

Personally, I do identify as British, but that doesn't mean I support Britain in every thing it does. Im seriously not patriotic, and I'm more than happy to criticise Britain when we do do questionable things, both here and abroad.

First and foremost, I'm human. Secondly, Im British. Thirdly Im Pakistani (By ethnicity, or more specifically Kashmiri)...
Should say that I just binned 27 posts, so please keep it pretty polite :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by D.n.A
Okay I'll start off with saying, I'm born in London and I'm grateful, I've met so many different people from different backgrounds and it's a pleasure to live here, honestly very diverse, I don't think I'd get to meet as many people from anywhere else expect for here. Second of the UK is a great country to live in, good education, health care, people, etc. But I don't feel truly British, i tried to get into British stuff when I was younger, but I didn't truly get into it, now I'm growing up I'm starting to connect with my background more and more, the culture, music etc, though I have very different views to people from my country, and I prefer it britain, i don't feel British, I face myself asking, if there was ever another thing like World War 3, would I fight for Britain, I'm starting to disconnect with Britain tiny tiny bits day by day, anyone else feel like this or is just me?

Our mass immigration means that everyone's British! YAY! Yes, you can be British too!
I used to not feel British but over the course of time I realised that no other country will ever feel like home, or at least I think that. I've been to Orlando and it's a nice place. Perhaps I could even live there in the future but I don't think it would ever feel like home. I would always know that's not where I come from. It's not where my roots are. I'm British.
In my opinion doing something postive for your country would make you proud than doing British culture stuff.
Original post by The_Internet

They might identify as "human" instead of "British"

Ugh, this wouldn't look out of place on Jaden Smith's twitter feed.

It's not profound to say 'I'm human' when you're talking about national identity, it's just stupid. You're answering the wrong question.
Original post by Obiejess
I like a lot of British Culture, I have a British sense of humour, and much of my heritage is British nobility. However, I have always felt more in touch with my Irish heritage.

Were you born and raised in GB though?

Never really felt the same way to be honest, my mom's side of the family are all mestizo & black Caribbeans and my dad is of Northern Irish and English descent and I've never felt I was anything other than British and English purely because I grew up here. Whenever I've been outside of the UK, I really feel British.

I was always aware of my Caribbean and Irish heritage but, I've not lived there, so I obviously feel British.

Rule Britannia :cool:
Original post by Pulse.
What does it even mean to feel British or follow British values?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've lived in the UK, Canada and the USA. Each shares common points but has its own distinctive features too. I'd say Canada shares a lot more "Britishness" than the USA because of history and as a "Brit" I can see the common strands. People who have only ever lived in the UK will probably have a hard time understanding what "being British" is. You can only really ever find out when you leave the UK I guess. And I don't mean a summer holiday in Majorca. The longer you're away the more you'll recognise what you miss and what is different where you now live. That's where you find what Britishness or British values are to you personally.

Of course within the UK there are differences too. You can read other responses on this very thread hinting at this. But when you leave you realise there is more than binds the people in the UK together than might seem obvious day to day.

Those who say they don't feel British or flat out deny that such a concept exists are, respectfully, probably being rather naive or just giving away the fact they're young and not well read or well travelled.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
Were you born and raised in GB though?

Never really felt the same way to be honest, my mom's side of the family are all mestizo & black Caribbeans and my dad is of Northern Irish and English descent and I've never felt I was anything other than British and English purely because I grew up here. Whenever I've been outside of the UK, I really feel British.

I was always aware of my Caribbean and Irish heritage but, I've not lived there, so I obviously feel British.

Rule Britannia :cool:

Yes, born and raised.

I still do feel very British, but the entirety of Dad's side of the family is Irish, my last name is O'Brien, and I'm exposed to Irish rebel songs and soda bread and my Irish family regularly. I know all about my Irish history, and so I feel that's a massive part of me too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, born and raised.

I still do feel very British, but the entirety of Dad's side of the family is Irish, my last name is O'Brien, and I'm exposed to Irish rebel songs and soda bread and my Irish family regularly. I know all about my Irish history, and so I feel that's a massive part of me too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard that name before..... Did a branch of your family find its way to Grimsby?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I've heard that name before..... Did a branch of your family find its way to Grimsby?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably. It's a rather large dynasty - but still a noble/royal one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably. It's a rather large dynasty - but still a noble/royal one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think I go to college with one. I'm from the Corrigan clan so my family's everywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Yeah I think I go to college with one. I'm from the Corrigan clan so my family's everywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, Corrigan! Haven't heard that name in a while. It is pretty common though. Whereabouts are you/your family from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, Corrigan! Haven't heard that name in a while. It is pretty common though. Whereabouts are you/your family from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My grandad came over from Cork when he was a wee lad. But most of the family is still in Ireland although there's some of us in most countries now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
My grandad came over from Cork when he was a wee lad. But most of the family is still in Ireland although there's some of us in most countries now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My Nan came over from County Cork, but she was a Daly. A few of the O'Briens hail from Donegal, but there's a lot of us in Munster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest