The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Accommodation- Denmark Road

So i've just accepted an offer from Manchester uni for psychology, my only worry is I don't know where to live...
My boyfriend goes to Manchester Met uni and his accommodation is rather standard and old fashioned.
I really want an en-suite and would prefer to be in a city center campus. Denmark road looks so nice (but very pricey) i would be willing to pay for it though if it's worth it.
My concern is: if it's a bit boring, do the students go out much, is it mainly international students or upper class students?
I want nice accommodation but i would like a good social life and friendly flat mates, any advice or knowledge on Denmark Road/ Manchester Uni
(i've heard Fallowfields is good but the crime rate seems to be rather bad and I'm sick of getting buses now, I literally hate them)
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also it'd be nice to know if anyone else is thinking of going to Denmark Road accommodation :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I may be considering Denmark Road. It looks nice and modern and i think theres a double bed aswell
Reply 3
Original post by PearJosh
I may be considering Denmark Road. It looks nice and modern and i think theres a double bed aswell

Yea that's why I like it :smile: I'm going to go visit it, I just hope there's a nice mix of people and everyone's sociable
Although, it being classed as in the City Campus, I'm not sure how much we're missing out.
What are you other choices?
Reply 5
I currently have no other choices, nothing looks as nice as Denmark road, it's basically the only modern accommodation, but a social life IS important to me
Have you looked at Opal Gardens and Victoria Hall. I think those are the modern ones in Victoria Park
Reply 7
Ooh thanks :smile: I've heard Victoria Park is slightly boring though, I know Fallowfields would be the most social but I just don't really want to live there and the city campus is close to everything I think that's why I'm drawn to Denmark Road, but it's definitely worth looking a other places so thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Im applying for Denmark Road as my 2nd option.
Have you guys seen the pictures of the place it looks so good including the games room.
I've already applied to Denmark Road through Sanctuary Students because I knew straight away I needed that location and a double bed. My room has already been confirmed but I can't seem to find much about it online because it's so new. Anyway I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my flatmates are friendly and sociable cos I'm stuck with it now haha.
Original post by eloisevans
I've already applied to Denmark Road through Sanctuary Students because I knew straight away I needed that location and a double bed. My room has already been confirmed but I can't seem to find much about it online because it's so new. Anyway I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my flatmates are friendly and sociable cos I'm stuck with it now haha.

Why did you not book through the University accomodation site?
Because I wanted to make sure I got a double bed haha, so I looked online and found that it's so much less stressful doing it now through SS.
Because I wanted to make sure I got a double bed haha, so I looked online and found that it's so much less stressful doing it now through SS.

It will be much more stressful if you ever have to drop out or change accommodation before the end of your contract though.
What makes you say that? I know if I drop out/change I have to find another person to live in it otherwise I continue to pay but other than that I thought I was relatively ok.
What makes you say that? I know if I drop out/change I have to find another person to live in it otherwise I continue to pay but other than that I thought I was relatively ok.

That's what I mean, finding someone to replace you is easier said than done, especially if it's late in the year. I'd just feel a lot more comfortable going through the University, personally.
It's all personal so I can understand that, I think I just wanted to avoid doing it through the University after knowing people who have had to leave it to the last minute and ended up in a cupboard-type room as everywhere else is gone. Are you applying to stay in Denmark Road?
It's all personal so I can understand that, I think I just wanted to avoid doing it through the University after knowing people who have had to leave it to the last minute and ended up in a cupboard-type room as everywhere else is gone. Are you applying to stay in Denmark Road?

I have applied it as my first choice

That's true, I guess if the type of room is particularly important to you then it's a reasonable risk to take. I haven't applied for Denmark Road, I'm already a student at UoM.
Original post by PearJosh
I have applied it as my first choice

Well then we might end up knowing each other come September - I've already been given my room number
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
That's true, I guess if the type of room is particularly important to you then it's a reasonable risk to take. I haven't applied for Denmark Road, I'm already a student at UoM.

Fair enough, did you ever live in city halls? I'm worried about the people I'll be sharing with (kinda)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending