The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Law vs NUS Law

Hi guys, I'm a Singaporean who has currently been offered a place in both NUS Law (with an Accountancy double degree) and UCL Law. However, I am having a tough time making a choice. It is most definitely my dream to study in London, but there exists a large difference in terms of cost between UCL and NUS, not just in education but expenses and accommodation as well. Would the additional prestige (if any), standard of education (if any), and experience I am going to get in UCL outweigh the benefits of saving money and going to study in NUS? Also, it should be mentioned that I am probably planning to work in Singapore in the future. Please do offer me your opinions and I appreciate all your help!
Reply 1
Hey! Were you at the UCL Law offer holder's thing that was held at MBFC on Friday?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Hey, I'm from Singapore too and I have an offer to study Law at UCL and I'm waiting on my NUS offer. How come you've received an answer so quickly ? I am pretty sure you only get an offer after they've received your final IB grades ?
Reply 3
Original post by superduperweirdo
Hey, I'm from Singapore too and I have an offer to study Law at UCL and I'm waiting on my NUS offer. How come you've received an answer so quickly ? I am pretty sure you only get an offer after they've received your final IB grades ?

I suppose he could be a male doing/ done NS?

Btw, which international school are you from? Are you going to be firming UCL too? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amritsg
I suppose he could be a male doing/ done NS?

Btw, which international school are you from? Are you going to be firming UCL too? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I suppose it could be that :smile:

I'm from the American International School and yeah, I'm most definitely firming UCL, are you doing the same ?
Reply 5
Yeah I suppose it could be that :smile:

I'm from the American International School and yeah, I'm most definitely firming UCL, are you doing the same ?

Probably!

Yeah, I'm quite sure I'll be firming them. Did you get your IB results back in Jan or are you still waiting?

You applied to Oxford too right? Did you get feedback on your app?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amritsg
Probably!

Yeah, I'm quite sure I'll be firming them. Did you get your IB results back in Jan or are you still waiting?

You applied to Oxford too right? Did you get feedback on your app?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm actually taking my final IB exams in May this year :smile:

I was just told that there was apparently too much competition. What were you told ?
Reply 7
I'm actually taking my final IB exams in May this year :smile:

I was just told that there was apparently too much competition. What were you told ?

More or less the same thing, they said one of my interviews pulled me down. It's quite disappointing. But an offer from UCL makes it a lot easier. Did you go up for the interviews?

Best of luck for the exams. When would you receive your results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
From an employment and career perspective, both are great universities. From a life experience perspective, of course, UCL and London is obvious choice but, as you rightly put it, costs are much higher. How about having your cake and eat it? LLB in NUS and Masters in London with the money saved, although by that time you may not care so much about the London experience.
Hello! I'm a Singaporean, also holding on to offers from both NUS Law and UCL Law. Serving NS now so will start school in 2016! As of now, I'm far more inclined to select UCL, simply because of the richer experience I'll have there. In most other parameters (quality of teaching, prestige of degree), my opinion is that the two schools are about evenly matched, while on the practical side, money isn't really a concern for me. Do you guys agree!
Original post by s0apmactavish
Hello! I'm a Singaporean, also holding on to offers from both NUS Law and UCL Law. Serving NS now so will start school in 2016! As of now, I'm far more inclined to select UCL, simply because of the richer experience I'll have there. In most other parameters (quality of teaching, prestige of degree), my opinion is that the two schools are about evenly matched, while on the practical side, money isn't really a concern for me. Do you guys agree!

Well after NS you may want to experience the world.

Quick Reply