The Student Room Group

Advice on accessing a savings account taken out on my behalf as a child? (I'm now 22)

Hi all. Now, before anyone asks, or comments or tries to troll. I'm not one of these "OHHH THERE IS MONEY IN MY NAME BETTER SPEND IT" kind of people.

Right, so when I was a child I was under a care order with my Gran. I know there was a savings account taken out in my name while I was growing up, and I am lead to believe that all the money my parents gave me for Christmas and Birthdays are in this account, along with some my other family put in. As a child my Gran always told me I could have this at the age of 18. Now, long story short my Brother has the same kind of account, and is refusing to tell me anything, weather he has taken it out, which bank the account is with or anything.

I've never really bothered to do or say anything about it beforehand, because I've never wanted to touch it. I assumed that when I was old enough my Gran would tell me etc, or give me bank details etc. Non of which she did.

I'm hopefully joining the R.A.F Soon, and currently going through the application, but I'm also wishing to purchase a car and a new Road Bike as I'm a competitive cyclist and could do really well, but my 6 year old, third hand bike is needing a replacement. I work in retail and spent all my money I saved on driving lessons, and now having to start from scratch.

My question being though, My Gran today REFUSED point blank to tell me anything! How much is in the account, which bank it's with, etc etc. and she's refusing to let me gain access to it. Is she aloud to do this? Do I have a legal right to this money? I've spent the last hour trawling through the web and found NOTHING to help this query. :O. I'm 22, and although it's not a desperate issue, the new race season starts in 2 months and I'll need to get used to my bike prior to this, and if I can't buy a new bike I won't be racing this year, and without a car I'm going to struggle to do anything...

Thanks for reading.. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Uni-Chick
Hi all. Now, before anyone asks, or comments or tries to troll. I'm not one of these "OHHH THERE IS MONEY IN MY NAME BETTER SPEND IT" kind of people.

Right, so when I was a child I was under a care order with my Gran. I know there was a savings account taken out in my name while I was growing up, and I am lead to believe that all the money my parents gave me for Christmas and Birthdays are in this account, along with some my other family put in. As a child my Gran always told me I could have this at the age of 18. Now, long story short my Brother has the same kind of account, and is refusing to tell me anything, weather he has taken it out, which bank the account is with or anything.

I've never really bothered to do or say anything about it beforehand, because I've never wanted to touch it. I assumed that when I was old enough my Gran would tell me etc, or give me bank details etc. Non of which she did.

I'm hopefully joining the R.A.F Soon, and currently going through the application, but I'm also wishing to purchase a car and a new Road Bike as I'm a competitive cyclist and could do really well, but my 6 year old, third hand bike is needing a replacement. I work in retail and spent all my money I saved on driving lessons, and now having to start from scratch.

My question being though, My Gran today REFUSED point blank to tell me anything! How much is in the account, which bank it's with, etc etc. and she's refusing to let me gain access to it. Is she aloud to do this? Do I have a legal right to this money? I've spent the last hour trawling through the web and found NOTHING to help this query. :O. I'm 22, and although it's not a desperate issue, the new race season starts in 2 months and I'll need to get used to my bike prior to this, and if I can't buy a new bike I won't be racing this year, and without a car I'm going to struggle to do anything...

Thanks for reading.. :smile:

I'm going to be doing my first race session this session. What bike are you thinking of getting and what is racing like?
Reply 2
Original post by c1s2
I'm going to be doing my first race session this session. What bike are you thinking of getting and what is racing like?

What race are you planning on doing?

Racing is GREAT! I've only done one season so far, and it was a ball of learning. You think you're good, but realistically for your first season it doesn't matter how good you are, you need to learn HOW to race. It's very different from riding with club etc.

If you're not used to riding in a group, get yourself into a club and learn to draft. Don't get caught at the front of the group all the time unless you're going to attack and confident you'll succeed. Sometimes if you're the newbie and attack the pelaton will let you go because they don't think you'll cope!

But racing is fun. I prefer TT's over road racing but do both. So my bike choice is the Cannondale Super Six Evo. I'm thinking to go for Ultegra, but I may perhaps be swayed to SRAM. Depends! Although I've now decided to take out a loan for it. I'll be paying more than I should, but then my family might realise that I'm actually serious about this....
Reply 3
What race are you planning on doing?

Racing is GREAT! I've only done one season so far, and it was a ball of learning. You think you're good, but realistically for your first season it doesn't matter how good you are, you need to learn HOW to race. It's very different from riding with club etc.

If you're not used to riding in a group, get yourself into a club and learn to draft. Don't get caught at the front of the group all the time unless you're going to attack and confident you'll succeed. Sometimes if you're the newbie and attack the pelaton will let you go because they don't think you'll cope!

But racing is fun. I prefer TT's over road racing but do both. So my bike choice is the Cannondale Super Six Evo. I'm thinking to go for Ultegra, but I may perhaps be swayed to SRAM. Depends! Although I've now decided to take out a loan for it. I'll be paying more than I should, but then my family might realise that I'm actually serious about this....

We do train on a road cycling track so I'm more used to the group riding etc. Also I know someone with the Super Six SRAM Red and it seems like a beast. Only problem its harder to get LBS's which work with SRAM
I do notice even when we do races in training if its 5 laps I'll tens to get dropped on the 3rd
Reply 4
Is she aloud to do this? Do I have a legal right to this money?

Depends on the type of account and whether it was held in trust for you. How you get this information however; I've no idea
I wonder why your Gran AND your brother refuse to tell you anything. Sounds like they don't trust you for some reason, although your gran could have spent the money on your brother I suppose. If other family members put money into an account for you they would have had the account details, have you asked them?

Do you live with either of them? If so you could snoop around and try to find details. Not a nice thing to do but neither is withholding money that is legally yours. Your only other option is to involve the police and they may want some evidence that an account exist(ed).
Original post by suedonim
I wonder why your Gran AND your brother refuse to tell you anything. Sounds like they don't trust you for some reason, although your gran could have spent the money on your brother I suppose. If other family members put money into an account for you they would have had the account details, have you asked them?

Do you live with either of them? If so you could snoop around and try to find details. Not a nice thing to do but neither is withholding money that is legally yours. Your only other option is to involve the police and they may want some evidence that an account exist(ed).

This is what i was about to say

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending