The Student Room Group

personality or looks (girls only)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Icebaker
Girls only care about 4 things: money, looks (must be 10/10), height and muscles. That's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

One day you'll meet a guy who gets with loads of girls without any of those things, and it'll blow your mind.
Original post by Mankytoes
One day you'll meet a guy who gets with loads of girls without any of those things, and it'll blow your mind.

This.

I can't believe people continue to perpetuate the myth that only "10/10 looks" is acceptable for a guy to get a girlfriend.
I always used to think that I had a type and that I fell in love mainly based on attraction. As a teenager my crushes were undoubtedly based upon physical attraction. Since then my two serious relationships have been with guys who were pretty average in terms of appearance. Relatively recently I had a fling with a very good looking guy, but he turned out to be quite arrogant and not really boyfriend material.

So, without a doubt, personality, though some level of attraction is required, usually comes as a result of seeing the inner beauty in someone though. The guy I am seeing right now and I connected on an emotional level as we realised we see eye-to-eye on many things. Plus he is intelligent and very funny.
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
This.

I can't believe people continue to perpetuate the myth that only "10/10 looks" is acceptable for a guy to get a girlfriend.

I can, it's how a lot of teenage guys think. Because most guys are crap at talking to girls, the best looking ones win by default. And then because they get female attention, they're the most confident ones, so they get more female attention, it's a vicious cycle.

Once you get a bit older and there are loads of average, not rich guys with hot girlfriends, it requires a bit of self delusion to keep up, but I think for most guys it's easier to admit they're not 10/10 looks or rich, than to realise they're a bit boring.
Both in equal measure. Another important thing is ambition. Nothing more unattractive than a lack of willingness to improve or aim towards something.

These threads always attract the bitter guys. Nobody said looks count for nothing but they're not sufficient to carry a relationship just like no matter how qualified you are you're not going to get that job if nobody wants to work with you.
Original post by Enoxial
You forgot the third option - Money.

I agree...lol

personality cause I would like to be the prettier half
Reply 67
Wow, someone pissed on your chips... if most guys are funny, then I don't see how that's a "super model" requirement. Guys don't prioritise humour in women in the same way women prioritise it in men.

No, what I'm trying to say is, instead of focusing on how guys should make them laugh and have great banter, and good confidence blah blah, they should try to focus on themselves and try to be funny, make more jokes, be more cheeky and have an air of confidence about them. Yes, we do go after super hot girls, but that's why I said the girls in this thread think they are super models, which they are not. To keep the relationship going, or to even start it, she needs to be interesting, funny and caring. This isn't just the guy's responsibility.
Original post by jam277
You went HAM on this thread.

Kudos

:hat2:
Reply 69
Original post by Precious Illusions

Lmao so harsh :rofl2:

I only speak the truth :smile:
Original post by AnharM
No, what I'm trying to say is, instead of focusing on how guys should make them laugh and have great banter, and good confidence blah blah, they should try to focus on themselves and try to be funny, make more jokes, be more cheeky and have an air of confidence about them. Yes, we do go after super hot girls, but that's why I said the girls in this thread think they are super models, which they are not. To keep the relationship going, or to even start it, she needs to be interesting, funny and caring. This isn't just the guy's responsibility.

That's a bit unfair, considering they're answering the question "what do you prefer in a guy". So they're going to say what they prefer in a guy, not what they do to get a guy, because that's not the question.

I don't think girls do need to "make more jokes". Maybe that's something you specifically dig in a girl, but for me, and most people I know, we tend to talk about whether a girl is hot, kind, fun, interesting, sane... funny doesn't really crop up much. I do think my girlfriend is funny in her own way, but she isn't someone who makes many jokes, or cheeky comments, and that hasn't ever been something I've thought about, "I wish she was funnier".

I don't think most girls concentrate on being funny, because, for whatever reason, nature or society, we don't care as much. Whereas making a girl laugh is a massive step towards her being attracted to you.
both
Umm....it depends on the girl dude...it's not like it's either we all care about personality, either only about looks. So unless you want to do a statistical study about this, your question's a bit pointless.

Personally, it's respect, brains, humor, looks, money, in that order. So yea, I guess personality is more important than looks, but in the end I wouldn't date a good looking, funny guy if he's not smart.
This is, actually, a false dilemma. I care about both looks (although I have somewhat weird preferences) and personality.
I'm always told I'm lying when I say personality over looks (when in all honesty, I'm seeing a guy who, at first, I didn't really find attractive physically, he's just a nice, funny guy :tongue:) but it's 100% true. Obviously looks are a bonus, but if I'm gonna be spending time with the person, they need to have a decent personality, not just be nice to look at.
Original post by emanueladiana
Umm....it depends on the girl dude...it's not like it's either we all care about personality, either only about looks. So unless you want to do a statistical study about this, your question's a bit pointless.

Personally, it's respect, brains, humor, looks, money, in that order. So yea, I guess personality is more important than looks, but in the end I wouldn't date a good looking, funny guy if he's not smart.

Sorry, but you can't count money under personality. That makes no sense.
Reply 76
Original post by trabajador
Hi, I was just wondering whether girls cared more about a guy's personality or his looks for bf material?

Actually both. You can't say looks don't matter because they do. Personally for me it would be great personality with OK looks. But yeah..mainly personality.
Sorry, but you can't count money under personality. That makes no sense.

Actually, I don't think you can count iq under personality either, I mean, if you're introvert or not, or choleric or stuff, it doesn't imply you've a certain iq. I just put my big five, respect and sense of humor were the personality related ones.
Personality!!!
Original post by perspiracious
Indeed. Some people enter relationships from a practical and rational perspective.

And some enter it them in love which does not encompass lust.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending