The Student Room Group

Her parents won't let me see her

Me and this girl who are both 17 have been talking for a few months now, we met online and it's got to the stage where we've been webcamming and both declared feelings for each other. We've talked about meeting up for a while now, but the only issue is her parents are uptight about letting her meet up with someone from the internet.

She brought it up with one of her parents, who said they were completely against the idea of them leaving her with me for a day, since there was a chance I could be a "a bad guy" shall we say - which I totally get. She hasn't been wanting to bring it up again with her parents after that, and I don't blame her either, it's awkward.

Does anyone have any suggestions about where to go from here? Like I said, we both want to see each other, but her parents are shooting the idea down.
Would her parents be okay with it if she brought a couple friends along just in case? I know it's not ideal to have other people tagging along but they may be a bit more lenient if she could take someone they trusted with her..
You could just go for coffee regardless?
Reply 3
It sounds like you need to meet her parents.

Can she come up with a day out or an event for the family to do where you go along to as her friend?

It could be as simple as going our for a pizza.

If necessary, she doesn't even need to be there.

"My friend wants to meet you both to prove he's an OK guy really."
You can still meet, your parents don't have to know lol
They're probably just cautious about what you'll be like. You could negotiate something like going out with someone else as well for the first time you meet, or let them know where you'll be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
You could just go for coffee regardless?

We weren't exactly planning to do much more than that anyway, but they're against her just being left alone with me.

Original post by Simes
It sounds like you need to meet her parents.

Can she come up with a day out or an event for the family to do where you go along to as her friend?

It could be as simple as going our for a pizza.

If necessary, she doesn't even need to be there.

"My friend wants to meet you both to prove he's an OK guy really."

It was brought up, one of her parents mentioned us going out to eat and them just being in the restaurant - not necessarily sitting with us.

Original post by tammie123
You can still meet, your parents don't have to know lol

Yeah.. not the sort of route I want to go down.

Original post by Username unknown
They're probably just cautious about what you'll be like.

Yup, that's exactly what it is - and I can understand why, I'm just some random guy from the internet to them.
Reply 7
It was brought up, one of her parents mentioned us going out to eat and them just being in the restaurant - not necessarily sitting with us.
How terribly Victorian.

Why not sit all together and find out what they're like too?
Reply 8
Original post by Simes
How terribly Victorian.

Why not sit all together and find out what they're like too?

Haha good point, I guess it would them form an opinion on me and see what I'm like.
Reply 9
It's an excuse. It has nothing to do with her parents and everything to do with her. She doesn't want you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any suggestions about where to go from here? Like I said, we both want to see each other, but her parents are shooting the idea down.

Are you me?! XD

I've been going out with my gf for a good few months now, but her mum and stepdad are extremely protective of her, so I never get to see her... like, ever.

Sorry, but if I had any useful advice to give you, I wouldn't be in the same boat! :tongue: All I can say is that it's probably worth sticking with it for the time being. Prove to them you're faithful, serious and committed by standing the test of time.

Dude, it's better than nothing. Let them get to know you better and they'll be more comfortable with you in the future.

My gf's parents seem to have no interest in giving me a chance. They essentially only let her out of the house for school and then ignore her bouts of depression.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending