The Student Room Group

Why are there no Music threads on here?!

Kick starting this, to see who's studying/hoping to study: BMus, BEd, MA at university or conservatoire! Lets get going, you must be out there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I'll start it off: I want to apply to the MA music course at Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Preferably glasgow, because they have a performance option in third year.

I'd love to apply to RCS, but I am only grade 5 on both voice and piano :frown:

I currently have 5 highers: Music A, English B, French B, Chemistry C and Maths C. This year I am doing Advanced higher music, higher geography, resitting maths and higher RMPS.

I really want into Glasgow, but I haven't met the minimum requirements of ABBB in S5. Is there a anything I can do? Or is my chance totally away from me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, this is one of the very few music threads on here! I'm applying to BEd at RCS on the 6th February. I'm a sax and piano player... I'm also applying to Glasgow but on the BMus course. I think if you apply and really impress them they will offer you a conditional, and they will tell you a few qualifications you need... What did you get for your highers?

I understand it's January and you've probably figured this out :')
A music thread!! There seems to be so few music students on here haha :smile: I've applied for the Edinburgh MA course, really liked the sound of it but I don't think I'll get an offer, they keep email in me saying that I'm also eligible to apply for their music technology course and asking if I want to change on to that, not really sure if that's meant to be a sign that I haven't got onto the MA course, any one else had this? Only problem about Edinburgh for me is distance cos I'm from London, so travel costs are pretty high... I also applied to Sheffield, Bristol Birmingham and Leeds, anybody else apply there?
Hello! Applied for music at huddersfield,manchester met, anglia ruskin (first choice),wolverhampton and salford, Had offers from huddersfield, manchester met and anglia ruskin and should here back from wolverhampton this week (had my interview friday). Just waiting on salford to hurry up with a rearranged interview date!!
Reply 5
Hey! I've applied for the MA at Edinburgh, BMus at both Edinburgh and Glasgow as well as Popular Music at Edinburgh Napier.
I know that Napier tend to hold auditions around March but I'm not very sure about the rest!
Did anyone else have to provide additional information for the MA at Edinburgh?
Original post by rg1415
Hey! I've applied for the MA at Edinburgh, BMus at both Edinburgh and Glasgow as well as Popular Music at Edinburgh Napier.
I know that Napier tend to hold auditions around March but I'm not very sure about the rest!
Did anyone else have to provide additional information for the MA at Edinburgh?

Yeah, I did!! No idea if what I wrote back was the right thing or not, what did you put? :smile: also have they emailed you at all asking if you want to switch to the BMus or music tech course? Not sure if they're trying to hint that I won't get onto the MA course or something haha
Reply 7
I just explained why I wanted to study music and my achievements during my time in school. Then went onto explain a couple of collaborations and projects I've done over the past year and gave links to my soundcloud, Youtube and and sent them a few demo tracks. Yeah they've said in every email from both the MA and the BMus courses that they offer 3 different music courses. I think they attach it to the end of every email just to show the variety of courses and to ensure that people have actually chosen the correct course. I wouldn't get too worried about it! :smile:
Hi! At last some fellow music applicants :tongue: I've applied for several music degrees including the MA at Edinburgh which is the only uni I'm waiting to hear back from. I haven't heard anything from them since they asked me for additional information back in December, should I be worried?
Original post by florafaithkelly
Hi! At last some fellow music applicants :tongue: I've applied for several music degrees including the MA at Edinburgh which is the only uni I'm waiting to hear back from. I haven't heard anything from them since they asked me for additional information back in December, should I be worried?

I'm exactly the same as you, I think Edinburgh are just particularly late at responding.. That's what I'm hoping anyways haha :smile: where else did you apply?
Original post by aoifeaoifeaoife
I'm exactly the same as you, I think Edinburgh are just particularly late at responding.. That's what I'm hoping anyways haha :smile: where else did you apply?

Here's hoping! University of Ulster, Plymouth, Bangor and Newcastle! What about you?
Original post by florafaithkelly
Here's hoping! University of Ulster, Plymouth, Bangor and Newcastle! What about you?

Ah cool, I've gone for Bristol, Sheffield, Birmingham and Leeds :smile: thinking that Birmingham or Sheffield is my favourite at the moment but it's so hard to decide! How about you?
Original post by aoifeaoifeaoife
Ah cool, I've gone for Bristol, Sheffield, Birmingham and Leeds :smile: thinking that Birmingham or Sheffield is my favourite at the moment but it's so hard to decide! How about you?

Those are good choices! If i get an offer from Edinburgh I'll probably make it my firm choice and Plymouth my insurance but I got an unconditional offer from Bangor on Friday, so that's sort of confused me a bit haha, it's so hard to make these decisions!

Quick Reply

Latest