The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3100
Original post by Kado
People complaining to the BBC on Twitter about the amount of swearing from the players? Andrew Castle's commentary is more offensive than the language being used by the players.

Have some respect ffs sake

Look at what the guy's achieved

Original post by IDukem
I'm sorry this is completely unrelated, but who's your favourite player(s)? :smile:

Djokovic is my fave I just respect the way he's been able to carve out such a great career in the era of Nadal and Federer, plus I figure he needs all the fans he can get with almost all tennis fans either loving Rafa or Roger then hating Djokovic for spoiling the party.

Having said that I have a soft spot for many players including: Murray, Jo Wilfried Tsonga and (shockingly) Nadal but I would love to see Novak beat Rafa in the RG final, if that happened in 5 that could top Wimbledon '08
Original post by DH1'
Have some respect ffs sake

Look at what the guy's achieved

The hate on twitter right now though... :colone:
Original post by lizzy95
Djokovic is my fave I just respect the way he's been able to carve out such a great career in the era of Nadal and Federer, plus I figure he needs all the fans he can get with almost all tennis fans either loving Rafa or Roger then hating Djokovic for spoiling the party.

Having said that I have a soft spot for many players including: Murray, Jo Wilfried Tsonga and (shockingly) Nadal but I would love to see Novak beat Rafa in the RG final, if that happened in 5 that could top Wimbledon '08

That's fair enough, I'm starting to develop a soft spot for Djokovic too for the same reasons why you liked him in the first place. Some fans will do anything to prop up their favourite players if it meant slagging off another player unfortunately.

Tsonga is one of a select few that has beaten each of the big four I believe? As much as I'd like to see some one beating Nadal at RG, I also want to see how longer this dominating run on RG from Nadal continues to be honest. So it's win win for me to be honest :smile:

How about on the WTA?

Thanks for sharing, I couldn't remember if you told me or not :tongue:
Reply 3104
Happy that Djokovic won, the commentators were so annoying!
Original post by IDukem
That's fair enough, I'm starting to develop a soft spot for Djokovic too for the same reasons why you liked him in the first place. Some fans will do anything to prop up their favourite players if it meant slagging off another player unfortunately.

Tsonga is one of a select few that has beaten each of the big four I believe? As much as I'd like to see some one beating Nadal at RG, I also want to see how longer this dominating run on RG from Nadal continues to be honest. So it's win win for me to be honest :smile:

How about on the WTA?

Thanks for sharing, I couldn't remember if you told me or not :tongue:

I don't have a clear favourite on the WTA there are so many players that I enjoy watching but I feel fall short of their potential a lot like Kvitova and Lisicki. I'd love Halep to grab a slam and of course respect the great Williams sisters. One for the future could definitely be Madison Keys, she played great at Eastbourne last year and seems to be pushing on again this season. As much as Bouchard is a talent something about her puts me off a bit but she has the game to go far.

With regards to Rafa would be incredible if he gets to 10 at RG but he can share can't he? Let Novak have it this year then continue as he was from next year! :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
It's hilarious how much Andrew Castle is getting obliterated on Twitter.

3rd round at Queens Club though, definitely laid the foundations for Andy's Grand Slam titles and finals.
Very entertaining match for the first 2.5 hours, but Murray just couldn't stay with Novak, so congratulations to Novak on a 5th AO Title! World class defense on show today. Andy shouldn't be too disappointed, it's great to see him back in another GS Final.
Overall, a good start to the season, hopefully Federer and Nadal can also step up in the next few months! :smile:
Original post by lizzy95
I don't have a clear favourite on the WTA there are so many players that I enjoy watching but I feel fall short of their potential a lot like Kvitova and Lisicki. I'd love Halep to grab a slam and of course respect the great Williams sisters. One for the future could definitely be Madison Keys, she played great at Eastbourne last year and seems to be pushing on again this season. As much as Bouchard is a talent something about her puts me off a bit but she has the game to go far.

With regards to Rafa would be incredible if he gets to 10 at RG but he can share can't he? Let Novak have it this year then continue as he was from next year! :colondollar:

My favourite at the moment is Simona Halep - I would dearly love for her to win a Grand Slam. For me she's a breath of fresh air compared to the countless number of power players on the WTA as she wins points with precision and incredible timing rather than sheer power alone. She reminds me in some ways of my favourite female player of all time, Justine Henin - an elegant, precise player with so much fight. Lisicki is another of my favourites, but she's just so inconsistent it's hard to take the disappointments of every year.

Bouchard is great, but I can't really get behind her for some reason. It might be because I get a Sharapova vibe (not in character, she's much nicer than the Russian) but the whole tall attractive blonde fawning that gets on my nerves. Madison Keys really made a breakthrough this year. Definitely the future of American women's tennis, which she seems to have wrangled from Sloane Stephens.

Rafa and a 10th RG would be obviously phenomenal, but I'd trade an RG for another Wimbledon personally. It's been so much pain for the past 3 years seeing Rafa fall before the final.
Original post by Sirocco11
My favourite at the moment is Simona Halep - I would dearly love for her to win a Grand Slam. For me she's a breath of fresh air compared to the countless number of power players on the WTA as she wins points with precision and incredible timing rather than sheer power alone. She reminds me in some ways of my favourite female player of all time, Justine Henin - an elegant, precise player with so much fight. Lisicki is another of my favourites, but she's just so inconsistent it's hard to take the disappointments of every year.

Bouchard is great, but I can't really get behind her for some reason. It might be because I get a Sharapova vibe (not in character, she's much nicer than the Russian) but the whole tall attractive blonde fawning that gets on my nerves. Madison Keys really made a breakthrough this year. Definitely the future of American women's tennis, which she seems to have wrangled from Sloane Stephens.

Rafa and a 10th RG would be obviously phenomenal, but I'd trade an RG for another Wimbledon personally. It's been so much pain for the past 3 years seeing Rafa fall before the final.

Yeah Rafa's form at Wimbledon has been nothing short of strange, he's proven that he can play his best on grass winning Wimbledon twice beating Federer in 2008 in an epic. If he'd never won at Wimbledon then fair enough but he should at least be getting deep into the tournament. I'm sure Novak would gladly trade the trophy he's just won for one of Rafa's many from the French,
Original post by lizzy95

I like Lisicki! She's the epitome of confidence making or breaking her though, I really wanted her to win Wimbledon a few years ago when she went on that amazing run. Keys is one for the future and I'm a fan of Bouchard, she's got a great game and will only get better. I don't necessarily like Serena, but respect to where respect is due, she's a champion of the highest order.

It'd be good to see Novak get the career slam, but it's Nadal at RG...:tongue: Like I said, it's win-win for me :wink:

In terms who I like, I guess I root for these guys a little more than everyone else, but I just want to watch a good match to be honest.
Mens: Del Potro, Nadal
Women: Bouchard, Lisicki, Sharapova (although the screaming can be hard to put up with :tongue:)

Edit: Just realised that the WTA I like are all blonde, sorry Sirocco1 :teehee:

Original post by Sirocco11
X
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by IDukem
I like Lisicki! She's the epitome of confidence making or breaking her though, I really wanted her to win Wimbledon a few years ago when she went on that amazing run. Keys is one for the future and I'm a fan of Bouchard, she's got a great game and will only get better. I don't necessarily like Serena, but respect to where respect is due, she's a champion of the highest order.

It'd be good to see Novak get the career slam, but it's Nadal at RG...:tongue: Like I said, it's win-win for me :wink:

In terms who I like, I guess I root for these guys a little more than everyone else, but I just want to watch a good match to be honest.
Mens: Del Potro, Nadal
Women: Bouchard, Lisicki, Sharapova (although the screaming can be hard to put up with :tongue:)

Edit: Just realised that the WTA I like are all blonde, sorry Sirocco1 :teehee:

My favourites probably break down as follows (though, like you, I don't mind as long as the tennis is great and I don't have to watch Fognini)
Mens: Federer, Murray, Djokovic, Nishikori, Raonic, Nadal
Womens: Kvitova, Serena, Venus, Radwanska, Halep :smile:
Men: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Del Potro, Raonic, Nikishori, Dimitrov, Tomic
Women: Sharapova, Azarenka (one must always watch their matches on mute though)
Original post by Krish4791
My favourites probably break down as follows (though, like you, I don't mind as long as the tennis is great and I don't have to watch Fognini)
Mens: Federer, Murray, Djokovic, Nishikori, Raonic, Nadal
Womens: Kvitova, Serena, Venus, Radwanska, Halep :smile:

I forgot about Radwanska! I'd add her too.

Yeah, I just want to be on the edge of my seat or see amazing shots/rallies to be honest. But the names I have mentioned are usually the ones where I have been known to root for. If I have to pick my favourite out of all of them including the men, I'd probably pick Bouchard cause I like her aggressive game, she seems likeable and is my age haha :mmm:
My favourites:

Men: Federer, Ferrer, Wawrinka, Hewitt, Nishikori, Delpo
Women: Venus, Wozniacki, Sharapova, Halep, Azarenka

My most hated players:

Men: Fognini, Tomic, Stakovsky, Rosol, Coric
Women: Bouchard, Serena, Sloane Stephens
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm sorry but Bouchard does not have a great game. She's just averagely consistent which is why she obliterates the lower players and then gets demolished by the top players.

The only reason she got to the Wimbledon final is because Halep was injured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My favourites

Women: Serena, Venus, Radwanska (sometimes), Sharapova, Wozniacki (when she's not pushing), Vika

Men: Murray, Monfils, Federer, Nishikori, Stan

Up and coming: Muguruza, Townsend, Kgyrios, Keys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skkc16
I'm sorry but Bouchard does not have a great game. She's just averagely consistent which is why she obliterates the lower players and then gets demolished by the top players.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bouchard got obliterated by god-mode Petra, which was kind of sweet to watch in a way. I was surprised she made 3 consecutive slam semis last year. Heading into that Wimbledon final I thought she could really start to take over at the top of her game, but she still needs to do more to keep up with Sharapova and Serena in particular.
Original post by Skkc16

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly. Bouchard is massively overrated. I love how she got destroyed by Sharapova at the Australian Open.
My man Djokoking slowly getting over his finals demons. Won the last 2 finals competed in convincing fashion (bar the shameful choke in the 4th set vs Fed).

GOATd in the final set, although the antics were slightly excessive in the 3rd set. Murray can't complain though - he's the master at it. Bagel well and truly deserved. :lol:

AO GOAT. 8th GS to put him level with Lendl, Connors and Agassi at the age of 27. Hoping he can win at least 2 GS this season. Obviously the RG is preferable, but he needs to do something about the horrible USO finals record he has. He has real potential to go down as the hard court GOAT if he can sort out his USO record.

Quick Reply

Latest