The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is Britain so obsessed with logic?

I shall make myself clearer. Since I moved back to Britain I started noticing how widely people rely on logic here. Everything is about creating and destroying arguments from a purely logical matter , and the area of philosophy which I found being most appreciated is formal logic whereas in Europe I ( may be a personal mistaken opinion ) seemed to notice that people were more inclined to rely on other aspects such as ethics and morals ( in philosophical terms ) . Everything here however seems to revolve around this obsession with logically proving something. Personally I think logic can be deceiving if applied to literally everything and am sort of bothered by this but I'd like to hear your viewpoint on this.
Original post by Stark95
Personally I think logic can be deceiving if applied to literally everything and am sort of bothered by this but I'd like to hear your viewpoint on this.

Example?

Personally I think that if logic is 'deceiving' you've either applied the logic wrong e.g. working from false premises or not following through properly, or your ideas were conflicted in the first place.
Reply 2
Original post by seaholme
Example?

Personally I think that if logic is 'deceiving' you've either applied the logic wrong e.g. working from false premises or not following through properly, or your ideas were conflicted in the first place.

For example when discussing with my friends here they seem to love to create logical arguments to prove me wrong even if it's on little things ( that's a silly example but an indicator of a general attitude )

No I mean I believe you can prove something logically I just don't think those logical reasonings canactually be applied to reality . Even if the logic works there is no real indicator that logic can prove reality but that's what most people thinks
Reply 3
Logic can be applied to almost everything, in my view, and it's incredibly important. Even a utilitarian ethical standpoint can be logically justified in the sense that, from the point of view of the universe, there's no reason why my suffering is any less important than anyone else's and why, from this objective standpoint, the greatest good for the greatest number should be pursued. Logic is the beginning of wisdom and allows one to reach conclusions that are likely to be the closest to reality.

I completely disagree that Britain is obsessed with logic, though - I think illogic amongst Humans is widespread across Earth.
Perhaps it's because logic is absolute whereas ethics and morals are relative/subjective?

I can't say I've noticed this though; I've seen far too many debates where at least one of the sides is appealing to emotion or stating opinions disguised as facts.
Tbh on mainland europe you hear the 'because it's just wrong' argument much more often. Also means they tend to be slightly more inclined to casual racism albeit not actually treating such people differently.
Original post by Stark95
I shall make myself clearer. Since I moved back to Britain I started noticing how widely people rely on logic here. Everything is about creating and destroying arguments from a purely logical matter , and the area of philosophy which I found being most appreciated is formal logic whereas in Europe I ( may be a personal mistaken opinion ) seemed to notice that people were more inclined to rely on other aspects such as ethics and morals ( in philosophical terms ) . Everything here however seems to revolve around this obsession with logically proving something. Personally I think logic can be deceiving if applied to literally everything and am sort of bothered by this but I'd like to hear your viewpoint on this.

Britain is the most unlogical place ever! I often wonder whether native white Brits are genetically thick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stark95

Maybe you're just more of a romantic like Samuel Taylor Coleridge, than a proponent of enlightenment such as Immanuel Kant?
Reply 8
Original post by Stark95
For example when discussing with my friends here they seem to love to create logical arguments to prove me wrong even if it's on little things ( that's a silly example but an indicator of a general attitude )

No I mean I believe you can prove something logically I just don't think those logical reasonings canactually be applied to reality . Even if the logic works there is no real indicator that logic can prove reality but that's what most people thinks

Tbh, people like that annoy the living hell out of me.

But everyone here has vastly different ethics and morals, so when you disagree on those grounds then you resort to logic which is more absolute.
Obsession to logic isn't exclusive to Britain, its a common thing in 'modern' society.
Reply 10
Original post by Rugar Rell
Britain is the most unlogical place ever! I often wonder whether native white Brits are genetically thick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's illogical surely?
Reply 11
Original post by Stark95

Analytic philosophy, ordinary language philosophy, and linguistic philosophy rule philosophy in the English-speaking world and Scandinavia.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/analytical_philosophy
"A method of approaching philosophical problems through analysis of the terms in which they are expressed, associated with Anglo-American philosophy of the early 20th century."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/linguistic_philosophy
"A type of (especially English-language) philosophy in which the approach to tackling philosophical problems involves attention to linguistic facts."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/philosophical_analysis
"The branch of philosophy that deals with the clarification of existing concepts and knowledge."

http://www.iep.utm.edu/analytic/
http://www.iep.utm.edu/ord-lang/

It seems all about logic and semantics.
Reply 12
Original post by Stark95

Logic is the best way to argue anything because logic does not lie and it will always therefore logically provide answers.
Judgement based on emotion is subjective and can demonstrably lead to societal division when informing decision making as in government and law.

A classic example would be the emotive and necessarily subjective interpretation of religious texts to define law. For instance, Sharia law.

Logical decision, by definition, must be informed by empirical evidence and outcomes. This is most apparent in secular states, in which law holds religious interpretation as a moral source of information, but not the absolute arbiter.
(edited 6 years ago)
///
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Stark95

I suppose there are many who rely on logic in the uk, but, there are many elsewhere. Though I do understand what you mean.
Personally, I tend to think logically, at least I hope I do. I love facts, and understanding details to base any of my decisions on. I do find that there are many others, my family in particular, who think others, relying more on their feelings and emotions.
Paradoxically India, pretty much the epicentre of eastern spirituality currently dominates engineering and computer science while Britain doesn't really do anything. Also all rationality is totally suspended during the month the world cup is on.

Latest

Trending

Trending