The Student Room Group

Computer science..disaster..

Ok
Back in October/September my teacher comes in and says the computer science teacher who is teaching us computer science has left which resulted in my whole class doing ict btec. I do not want to have any btec certificates because i see them only for not so smart people. My question is can i still change my subject? and if not what do i do because we have had many supply teachers which are all bad and my current teacher now is bad nobody is learning anything i feel like i will fail even if i do i wont really care because i did not choose to do ict btec. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by TheYearNiner
Ok
Back in October/September my teacher comes in and says the computer science teacher who is teaching us computer science has left which resulted in my whole class doing ict btec. I do not want to have any btec certificates because i see them only for not so smart people. My question is can i still change my subject? and if not what do i do because we have had many supply teachers which are all bad and my current teacher now is bad nobody is learning anything i feel like i will fail even if i do i wont really care because i did not choose to do ict btec. :smile:

I would go ask your teacher, at the end of the day they're the ones running your school
Original post by Andy98
I would go ask your teacher, at the end of the day they're the ones running your school
ok but i fear that it may be too late to swap
Reply 3

I'm guessing you're in year nine? If not the username needs adjusting lol. I hadn't even made my choices at year nine.

Tbf BTEC ICT is an easy grade if you're into computer science - I slept through all the lessons and still got a distinction :tongue:

You should ask your form tutor or head of year; I picked my options in year 9 and changed one in the second term so it's possible, especially in year 9 as you have an extra year to catch up.
Reply 5
Ok

I did IT BTEC in which I learnt 2 programming languages and an currently studying Computer Science at a good uni, BTEC isnt for 'not so smart people' I think y be fine if you take it, btw is it level 2 or level 3?
Original post by jakemac
You should ask your form tutor or head of year; I picked my options in year 9 and changed one in the second term so it's possible, especially in year 9 as you have an extra year to catch up.

Im in year 10 tho
Im in year 10 tho

Hmm well you could still try and ask your form tutor or HoY and even if they say you can't nobody will look down on an IT BTEC really, especially if you get a good grade
Reply 8
Im in year 10 tho

I know people who switched in year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by yt7777
I did IT BTEC in which I learnt 2 programming languages and an currently studying Computer Science at a good uni, BTEC isnt for 'not so smart people' I think y be fine if you take it, btw is it level 2 or level 3?

No fair! Our BTEC ICT was basically how to use Microsoft Office.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Andy98
No fair! Our BTEC ICT was basically how to use Microsoft Office.

Posted from TSR Mobile

really? at Level 3?
Reply 11
Original post by yt7777
really? at Level 3?

Urmm I dunno, it was GCSE equivalent

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Andy98
Urmm I dunno, it was GCSE equivalent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah that would be level 2
Reply 13
Original post by yt7777
ah that would be level 2

Ahh OK. Either way I did programming outside of school, and even did odd jobs for the school so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Andy98
Ahh OK. Either way I did programming outside of school, and even did odd jobs for the school so yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile

awesome! what language did you start with?
Reply 15
Original post by yt7777
awesome! what language did you start with?

Started with HTML, JavaScript and CSS. But now I've branched into python and visual basic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Andy98
Started with HTML, JavaScript and CSS. But now I've branched into python and visual basic

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice, ive just started Python at uni
Reply 17
Original post by yt7777
Nice, ive just started Python at uni

Cool, I haven't used python in a while so I'm a bit rusty

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yt7777
I learnt 2 programming languages

Which 2 languages did you learn?
Reply 19
Original post by jakemac