The Student Room Group

Drama HELP!

I'm taking GCSE Drama, in year 10 at the moment.I was just wondering what do you have to do for the actual monologue. I know Unit 1 you have to write and perform a monologue given a stimulous and Unit 3 (Concept to Creation) you can design, perform or write a script. What is required for Unit 2?

Any extra detail is appreciated by!

Im so nevous I'll fail. I conpletely blanked out on a prqctise monologue. Im a really ahy girl, but i love Perfomring Arts... I absolutely afore my Drama teacher and shes lovely and so helpful! She believes in eceryone of use and shes always telling me to just "let it go!" (Ha ha!) and just velive in myself. I just don't know how to 'let it go'. I know I can do it, hut my confidence it just so low. Plus, she's not here at the moment and she's on maternity leave, but my grades have gotten from A's to D's since... I don't know what to do. This Drama teacher we have now shows so much favouritism and its clear she hates me...

Thank you so much for all you're help! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Is this OCR? I am on OCR and currently doing unit 2, Drama in the Making. We had to devise a group piece based around a topic, and then write and perform a monologue/duologue or write a longer script extract that developed our group piece. The final part is the set design (I think you could do a costume design, I can't remember) along with the usual working record and evaluations of each of the three parts. It's the worst unit in many people's eyes. I actually found it ok, though, especially the script writing :smile:
Original post by Aimez
Im so nevous I'll fail. I conpletely blanked out on a prqctise monologue. Im a really ahy girl, but i love Perfomring Arts... I absolutely afore my Drama teacher and shes lovely and so helpful! She believes in eceryone of use and shes always telling me to just "let it go!" (Ha ha!) and just velive in myself. I just don't know how to 'let it go'. I know I can do it, hut my confidence it just so low. Plus, she's not here at the moment and she's on maternity leave, but my grades have gotten from A's to D's since... I don't know what to do. This Drama teacher we have now shows so much favouritism and its clear she hates me...

Thank you so much for all you're help! :smile:

I just saw the edit. I've been so lucky to have had some absolutely amazing drama teachers over the last few years, and drama is one of those subjects where a teacher can make or break your grade - so I feel for you! :console:

I know this is horribly generic advice, but try not to let them get to you - just think of what your old teacher would say :smile:. I think many drama students find it hard to get in to the feel for things (which, luckily, is why our school do not actually complete any coursework in drama until Y11). It certainly took me a good half a year to properly feel comfortable with the whole thing, which helps having done several performances. All I can suggest on that front is to try to forget you are you, if that makes any sense, and get entirely into your character's mindset. I was always worried about other people's opinions, but now everyone is so set on getting a good grade that nobody seems to care. As I said, this should come when you've done a few more performances. :smile:

But if the teacher is seriously that bad (and believe me, I've had a few teachers who hold favourites), to the point where it is drastically affecting your grade, I'd contact the school as anonymously as possible. If that is not something you'd feel comfortable doing, doing drama clubs and stuff away from school will help with your confidence - even seeing plays live could make a difference. Don't let this teacher ruin your grades!

Quick Reply

Latest