The Student Room Group

Unprofessional running of course

Hi, I am attending a degree course. I'm not sure how many people went to university but the course i'm doing is being run so unprofessionally.

I am actually thinking of complaining about my course now officially.

I had a few issues.

We have a guy always hand his assignments in late the next day (4 so far) which is an automatic fail (or should be). He has no reason to, no excuse just leaves them until the last minute and passes.

Couple of people hand them in on time and fail by couple/few points and have to retake the whole assignment. My main argument being that he also technically failed and they passed them anyway. It really annoys everyone. There are only eight people on my course.

We also had an exam with three revision sessions. Some of us really relied on the revision. Being a lecture, I assumed that the lecturer would be lecturing about past papers etc. She sat there and did her own work... really an easy lesson for her. A couple of us really needed more intense revision.

Another issue same lecturer we had two assignments to do in one module. She gave the feedback for the first just AFTER the second one was given in. Some people barley passed. The feedback was just too late to boost the second...

I'm actually class rep but don't see how I can raise the comments.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

you can raise them with your head of course/department but in all honesty I wouldn't bother, it doesn't sound like there's much to complain about, except perhaps the late marking of a paper which was a shame but if you'd had only one essay wouldn't have made any difference anyway

for this guy who hands in coursework late and gets away with it, you do not have any idea why, it could be there are mitigating circumstances he has chosen not to share and to be honest if others aren't performing to a high enough standard to pass they need to look at themselves and their work rather than trying to get the university to fail someone else as well, because the fact he passed doesn't mean they deserve to at all

as for revision sessions, I'm sure your lecturers idea was to let you revise in the way that works best for you but be available should you get stuck or need an explanation... you're grown ups now so it's really your responsibility to sort out your own revision, not hers

it sounds very much like you or others are just trying to blame the course for the fact you are unable to manage the work you're being given
Reply 2
Original post by doodle_333
you can raise them with your head of course/department but in all honesty I wouldn't bother, it doesn't sound like there's much to complain about, except perhaps the late marking of a paper which was a shame but if you'd had only one essay wouldn't have made any difference anyway

for this guy who hands in coursework late and gets away with it, you do not have any idea why, it could be there are mitigating circumstances he has chosen not to share and to be honest if others aren't performing to a high enough standard to pass they need to look at themselves and their work rather than trying to get the university to fail someone else as well, because the fact he passed doesn't mean they deserve to at all

as for revision sessions, I'm sure your lecturers idea was to let you revise in the way that works best for you but be available should you get stuck or need an explanation... you're grown ups now so it's really your responsibility to sort out your own revision, not hers

it sounds very much like you or others are just trying to blame the course for the fact you are unable to manage the work you're being given

No mitigating circumstances... he admits he leaves everything until the last minute and lies to them. No evidence given. I had circumstances and they said no! The marking is just too slow. The lecturer really just thought of an east lesson - some of us really needed stronger help. It isn't a supportive environment at the best of times.
Reply 3
Original post by cjonesguirar
No mitigating circumstances... he admits he leaves everything until the last minute and lies to them. No evidence given. I had circumstances and they said no! The marking is just too slow. The lecturer really just thought of an east lesson - some of us really needed stronger help. It isn't a supportive environment at the best of times.

The point is your penalised for handing in on time.
I dont see how its your problem if other people hand in their coursework late? How does that affect you?
Reply 5
Original post by sherlockfan
I dont see how its your problem if other people hand in their coursework late? How does that affect you?

It annoys everyone on the course (there are only eight people). They are basically making us look stupid for handing in on time.

Imagine spending days doing an assignment and handing when it os only 70percent done (it is maths so some get all answers on time) and some one walks in hands it in a day later passes with a higher mark also gathering information of off people who handed in on time.

Not only that we need to compare results occasionally. You cant went people are getting away with handing in late. The the group quality comes down slightly.

Also the people at the top of the class, end up not caring so much.

It personally doesn't bother me until I fail one by 2 points handed in on time. The other guy technically also had a fail but passed. A late is a fail as well. That is way it is annoying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
It annoys everyone on the course (there are only eight people). They are basically making us look stupid for handing in on time.

Imagine spending days doing an assignment and handing when it os only 70percent done (it is maths so some get all answers on time) and some one walks in hands it in a day later passes with a higher mark also gathering information of off people who handed in on time.

Not only that we need to compare results occasionally. You cant went people are getting away with handing in late. The the group quality comes down slightly.

It personally doesn't bother me until I fail one by 2 points handed in on time. The other guy technically also had a fail but passed. A late is a fail as well. That is way it is annoying.

The problem is it is constant over and over again.

everyone or just you?
maybe he has reasons that he's not telling you about.
Reply 8
everyone or just you?
maybe he has reasons that he's not telling you about.

He does have a family, which I understand. But he uses that as an excuse and admits he works better under pressure at the last minute. But the problem is the course leaders keep letting him get away with it and he knows this now.

Nope alot of people are annoyed. It has almost become a known thing he will hand in late and everyone else will hand in on time. It's just the norm now... again I agree but there has to be sufficient evidence. We are paid a salary to study. We are paid a salary to concentrate on the course.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
He does have a family, which I understand. But he uses that as an excuse and admits he works better under pressure at the last minute. But the problem is the course leaders keep letting him get away with it and he knows this now.

Nope alot of people are annoyed. It has almost become a known thing he will hand in late and everyone else will hand in on time. It's just the norm now... again I agree but there has to be sufficient evidence. We are paid a salary to study. We are paid a salary to concentrate on the course.

Our course is teacher training. It is suppose to be extremely professional that is the thing that blows me away.

you get paid to study? :lolwut: how does that work?

when i was at uni i was allowed to extend my deadlines because i have dyslexia. i never told anyone about it and no one ever questioned it.
you get paid to study? :lolwut: how does that work?

when i was at uni i was allowed to extend my deadlines because i have dyslexia. i never told anyone about it and no one ever questioned it.

Teacher training you can get paid. I'm dyslexic as well. They said no to my extensions ;-)
Teacher training you can get paid. I'm dyslexic as well. They said no to my extensions ;-)

I have evidence the other guy has no evidence.
you need to be less entitled, you do not have 'evidence' about this guy, I also had extensions at times at uni, I would never have explained why to anyone and would have fobbed it off on silly things if asked... if your requests have been turned down that is probably for a reason as well

it doesn't change the fact that whoever has failed has failed... you need to start working on it earlier if you can't complete it on time and stop worrying about what other people are doing, if he's doing it last minute and doing more than you he's probably smarter and deserves higher marks, eventually he will have to sort himself out in order to perform in a job but his future performance in a hypothetical job is really no concern of yours

I stand by my point that it is totally reasonable to expect you to take responsibility for your own learning
I have evidence the other guy has no evidence.

Why does it even matter to you what happens to other people. Just don't compare yourself to him if you find it so annoying. It is acceptable practice to cut some slack if someone handed it in not too long after the deadline.

Instead of this silly jealously of someone doing better than you why don't you improve your own work instead of spending time moaning about how someone else does better than you.

May I ask what course you are on that means you get paid? Its a possibility that he sees the fact that he is being paid as a reason to not put any effort in as he knows he will just be paid at the end of the day anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trainee teachers. In the professional year (next year), a late is an automatic fail (disabilities included).

This year we are allowed some late.

I only making the point for me they rejected my evidence (22 pages long) but for someone else they allowed lates just because he know he can at the last minute. Maybe you have never had that happen but I can tell you it is annoying for the whole class.

Subject1 you have no idea how a strict university works. Once yes... not every other assignment in late.

It is only a class of eight people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Trainee teachers. In the professional year (next year), a late is an automatic fail (disabilities included).

I only making the point for me they rejected my evidence (22 pages long) but for someone else they allowed lates just because he know he can at the last minute. Maybe you have never had that happen but I can tell you it is annoying for the whole class.

Subject1 you have no idea how a strict university works. Once yes... not every other assignment in late.

22 pages of evidence?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frances98
22 pages of evidence?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get a report done for a disability they are long, yes.

Whether or not he should've got away with it is none of your business! That is his problem. You are trying to make him fail because he was late so that both of you fail so that it was "fair".

Life isn't fair and you shouldn't try to ruin someone else's degree just because yours is affected. Are you trying to do this because you are jealous that he got away with it?

Quick Reply

Latest