The Student Room Group

Resitting exams after getting an unconditional

Hi guys,

My question is pretty clear from the title. I took a year out before going to uni and applied in November. I've received unconditional offers for my course, which im' very happy with, but i'm wondering if it's still possible to resit an exam for my own piece of mind.

I know people might say there isn't much point, but i'm more interested in knowing that if I did decide to resit an exam, would I lose my unconditional offer because my grades might change (though not go down)?

Thanks!
Original post by callum_r
Hi guys,

My question is pretty clear from the title. I took a year out before going to uni and applied in November. I've received unconditional offers for my course, which im' very happy with, but i'm wondering if it's still possible to resit an exam for my own piece of mind.

I know people might say there isn't much point, but i'm more interested in knowing that if I did decide to resit an exam, would I lose my unconditional offer because my grades might change (though not go down)?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that you can still sit them because an unconditional offer is unconditional.

Where did you get offer from and for what course?
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm pretty sure that you can still sit them because an unconditional offer is unconditional.

Thanks for the reply!

I know an unconditional offer is on the grades I have, so what im wondering is if I did resit would it change that offer.

Really, there shouldn't be an issue with me getting a higher grade or keeping the best one if I did do worse (therefore still maintaining the grades they gave me an offer on.) But part of me is still not sure if that's how it works
Reply 4
Thanks for the reply!

I know an unconditional offer is on the grades I have, so what im wondering is if I did resit would it change that offer.

Really, there shouldn't be an issue with me getting a higher grade or keeping the best one if I did do worse (therefore still maintaining the grades they gave me an offer on.) But part of me is still not sure if that's how it works

You need to tell the uni, but as your offer is unconditional they shouldn't care. But you signed a declaration to say that you told them everything, so not telling them could lead to your application being void.
Thanks for the reply!

You need to inform the university, not because they will take your offer away (an unconditional is just that, assuming you haven't lied on your application or anything) but because it causes all manner of administrative hiccups on results day when they can't exactly match up your results to your application. This is much more of a problem for people with conditional offers than for you, as it can delay them being accepted into their places, but you still need to keep the university informed to avoid administrative chaos
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
You need to inform the university, not because they will take your offer away (an unconditional is just that, assuming you haven't lied on your application or anything) but because it causes all manner of administrative hiccups on results day when they can't exactly match up your results to your application. This is much more of a problem for people with conditional offers than for you, as it can delay them being accepted into their places, but you still need to keep the university informed to avoid administrative chaos

Okay I see.

So if I do, it's as simple as telling the university that I've firmed that I am resitting and expecting a result?

It's not like i'm waiting till results day to determine where I can go, it's just a matter of principle to keep things in order on results day
Okay I see.

So if I do, it's as simple as telling the university that I've firmed that I am resitting and expecting a result?

It's not like i'm waiting till results day to determine where I can go, it's just a matter of principle to keep things in order on results day

Tell both them and Ucas, so everything matches up. There's nothing to be worried about. It's just that if something can cause chaos, A levels, Ucas, universities and results day are capable of conspiring to create a perfect storm out of it.
Reply 8
Tell both them and Ucas, so everything matches up. There's nothing to be worried about. It's just that if something can cause chaos, A levels, Ucas, universities and results day are capable of conspiring to create a perfect storm out of it.

Thank you so much!

I'm not sure if I will anyway, but it's nice to know the option is there for my own piece of mind, just to see if I can do better.

I'm not even sure when the deadline for resits is, i'll have to get in touch with the school.

Thanks again for your help
Thank you so much!

I'm not sure if I will anyway, but it's nice to know the option is there for my own piece of mind, just to see if I can do better.

I'm not even sure when the deadline for resits is, i'll have to get in touch with the school.

Thanks again for your help

No problem. FWIW, the resit deadline at the school where I teach was 16th Jan, so you may have cut it a bit too fine.
Reply 10
No problem. FWIW, the resit deadline at the school where I teach was 16th Jan, so you may have cut it a bit too fine.

Yikes, maybe then!

Was that for resits in the summer? I know the date used to compensate for January exams, meaning the date was a few months later I think
Yikes, maybe then!

Was that for resits in the summer? I know the date used to compensate for January exams, meaning the date was a few months later I think

Yes, that's for summer. January exams don't exist now. I think the option to put in for a late entry is still there, but it costs more. (Not my area. My job is hounding entrants to get it in on time, not charge them for not doing. That's up to the exams officer, who you need to speak to if you have already left.)
Reply 12
Hi guys,

Thanks!

Once a university gives you an offer it cannot be taken away. I think it is a good idea to resit your exams because at the end of the day those grades will still go on your CV so anything which will make you more competitive you should go for to be honest. Also as you have an unconditional offer you don't have the pressure of having to get the grades which may mean you'll do better. You should get into contact with the institution where you wish to resit your exams and check the options available to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending