The Student Room Group

UNIQ Summer School 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krollo
This may sound a bit silly, but there isn't enough space on the form to enter all my qualifications! Do you think I should leave some GCSEs off or should I contact them?

How many do you have?
There is a text box underneath the GCSE area where you can enter any additional information.
Original post by uniqsummer
How many do you have?
There is a text box underneath the GCSE area where you can enter any additional information.

19, long story :-)

Cheers for that - I wasn't sure if I would be OK putting it in that box.
Original post by economicsrocks
I got into the PPE one last year. If you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you mind sending me your personal statement? need so much help !!
Original post by ilovemusic386
do you mind sending me your personal statement? need so much help !!

I'll PM you. :smile:
I'm sure you're all aware of this, but don't fret if you don't get on; I didn't get on to UNIQ PPE but got an offer this cycle for the main thing. That said, those to whom I've spoken about UNIQ have said it's a great experience!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by economicsrocks
I'll PM you. :smile:

Would you mind PMing me your personal statement too? Thanks so much! :smile:
Original post by antigone-
Would you mind PMing me your personal statement too? Thanks so much! :smile:

I sent you a message :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I need help with my personal statement for Oncology (medical related sciences) SOS!!!!
Original post by Chlorophile
Would anyone be interested in seeing the personal statement I wrote for UNIQ last year? I'm not sure how helpful it'd be but I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's interested. It's actually quite embarrassing looking back at it!

I'd appreciate it tremendously if you could send it to me too. Thanks :smile:
Original post by studentsos
I need help with my personal statement for Oncology (medical related sciences) SOS!!!!

I did Oncology last summer, PM if you like
I am thinking of applying for the UNIQ Summer School and was wondering what my chances were.
I received 5A*s 4As and a B at GCSE and I go to a school where the Oxbridge progression has been 1 in the past 5 years. I also received the joint highest GCSE grades in my year (alongside one other person).
However I have been looking on another feed where the applicants have received a lot more A*s than myself (yet they were applying for medicine whereas I would be applying for the Biological Sciences course).
If anyone has previously been could you tell me about your experience as I would love to know :smile:
Thank you!
Original post by Lucie7498
I am thinking of applying for the UNIQ Summer School and was wondering what my chances were.
I received 5A*s 4As and a B at GCSE and I go to a school where the Oxbridge progression has been 1 in the past 5 years. I also received the joint highest GCSE grades in my year (alongside one other person).
However I have been looking on another feed where the applicants have received a lot more A*s than myself (yet they were applying for medicine whereas I would be applying for the Biological Sciences course).
If anyone has previously been could you tell me about your experience as I would love to know :smile:
Thank you!

UNIQ is means tested. As you say, you go to a school with very low Oxbridge progression and you got the joint highest GCSE grades in your year, so that definitely counts for something. Obviously numbers are going to fluctuate from year to year but Biological Sciences doesn't appear to be one of the incredibly competitive UNIQ courses in terms of applications per place, from the 2012 application figures there was a 40% success rate. Obviously I can't say for certain what your chances are but given the fact that your GCSEs are still pretty good, that you got one of the best results in your school and that the course you're applying for isn't ridiculously competitive, I'd say you've got a very decent shot :smile:

UNIQ is really great, I had a lot of fun! Probably one of the most enjoyable weeks I've had.
UNIQ is means tested. As you say, you go to a school with very low Oxbridge progression and you got the joint highest GCSE grades in your year, so that definitely counts for something. Obviously numbers are going to fluctuate from year to year but Biological Sciences doesn't appear to be one of the incredibly competitive UNIQ courses in terms of applications per place, from the 2012 application figures there was a 40% success rate. Obviously I can't say for certain what your chances are but given the fact that your GCSEs are still pretty good, that you got one of the best results in your school and that the course you're applying for isn't ridiculously competitive, I'd say you've got a very decent shot :smile:

UNIQ is really great, I had a lot of fun! Probably one of the most enjoyable weeks I've had.

Thank you! I was also wondering if you have any tips for writing the personal statement? I have included some opinions on books that I have read linking to the course, yet I feel as though I have used too many characters on my other interests which are hockey, running and playing the guitar (roughly 500). Yet my school hasn't offered us any opportunities for biology (chemistry, maths or French which are my other AS subjects) yet plenty for music and sport which I feel aren't relevant to the course :/ any ideas on what I could do?
Thank you! I was also wondering if you have any tips for writing the personal statement? I have included some opinions on books that I have read linking to the course, yet I feel as though I have used too many characters on my other interests which are hockey, running and playing the guitar (roughly 500). Yet my school hasn't offered us any opportunities for biology (chemistry, maths or French which are my other AS subjects) yet plenty for music and sport which I feel aren't relevant to the course :/ any ideas on what I could do?

There's a thread dedicated to UNIQ here. There are quite a lot of ex-UNIQ students here who would be happy to send you their personal statement if you want some ideas (I could send you mine too, depending on whether or not you think an Earth Sciences personal statement would be helpful).

500 characters is way too much for your hobbies though. If you choose to include them (which you don't have to, it's probably better not to), it really shouldn't be more than a line or so. The thing is, the admissions people aren't particularly interested in your hobbies however important they may be because it doesn't make you any more qualified to study the course. UNIQ is interested in getting the people who they think will benefit most from the summer school and whilst it's great that you've got lots of other interests, it's not very helpful for UNIQ!

The main points that you need to fulfil are listed here. 2000 characters really isn't very much space so you definitely shouldn't be running out of space to explain why you love your subject and what in particular interests you. Talking about books that have inspired you is great but you really want to make sure that you explain why they've inspired you. My school also doesn't offer any particularly great EC opportunities but books are fine. Maybe you've attended an inspiring lecture. It's not about what you've done but what you've learned. You could have the most incredible extracurricular portfolio but it's useless if you've not learned anything from it!
hey guys, hope everyone's application is going well. may seem like a silly question but do you reckon if we use the same content on our uniq personal statement as we intend do on our actual ucas personal statement, we may get questioned? im thinking of including things onto my uniq personal statement, however fear that through doing this i will not be able to include the same things onto my actual ucas application. i know the uniq application process is separate to ucas, however i dont want to throw all my eggs into one basket and risk it! thanks
Original post by 09faltaf
hey guys, hope everyone's application is going well. may seem like a silly question but do you reckon if we use the same content on our uniq personal statement as we intend do on our actual ucas personal statement, we may get questioned? im thinking of including things onto my uniq personal statement, however fear that through doing this i will not be able to include the same things onto my actual ucas application. i know the uniq application process is separate to ucas, however i dont want to throw all my eggs into one basket and risk it! thanks

It's completely fine to reuse bits :smile:

In the end though, I found that my interests had changed sufficiently by the time I applied, that I didn't actually want to reuse anything.
There's a thread dedicated to UNIQ here. There are quite a lot of ex-UNIQ students here who would be happy to send you their personal statement if you want some ideas (I could send you mine too, depending on whether or not you think an Earth Sciences personal statement would be helpful).

500 characters is way too much for your hobbies though. If you choose to include them (which you don't have to, it's probably better not to), it really shouldn't be more than a line or so. The thing is, the admissions people aren't particularly interested in your hobbies however important they may be because it doesn't make you any more qualified to study the course. UNIQ is interested in getting the people who they think will benefit most from the summer school and whilst it's great that you've got lots of other interests, it's not very helpful for UNIQ!

The main points that you need to fulfil are listed here. 2000 characters really isn't very much space so you definitely shouldn't be running out of space to explain why you love your subject and what in particular interests you. Talking about books that have inspired you is great but you really want to make sure that you explain why they've inspired you. My school also doesn't offer any particularly great EC opportunities but books are fine. Maybe you've attended an inspiring lecture. It's not about what you've done but what you've learned. You could have the most incredible extracurricular portfolio but it's useless if you've not learned anything from it!

I agree, I am thinking of getting rid of some of the EC section, would it be possible for your to take a look? Also I would love to read your personal statement please :smile:
I agree, I am thinking of getting rid of some of the EC section, would it be possible for your to take a look? Also I would love to read your personal statement please :smile:

Sure, I'll send you a PM with it :smile:

What are you hoping to study at university?
I've found the same with my UNIQ personal statement haha :biggrin: at least it gives us a head start, as such!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's definitely okay. I'm not sure if you'll want to literally lift chunks of text from your UNIQ personal statement because at least in my case, my views changed a lot in those 9 months, but using the same content is fine if you've got a reason to!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending