The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, 2weeks till half term amd 3weeks till my mocks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zigocarn
Who has started revising?
If you haven't started, when do you plan to?

I'm going to try and start revising this weekend and make a revision timetable. Have you started revision yet?
Who has started revising?
If you haven't started, when do you plan to?

I haven't but I plan to start around half term.

Well I say I haven't but I've been doing minor stuff and not noticed
This is pretty random but I'm applying for a job and I just wrote a cover letter so I was wondering if I could message anyone my cover letter and get some feedback before I give it in by tomorrow? Thanks ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you received your predicted grades?

Kind of.
Awww.. All these year 11 students!! :colone:
Original post by Kuroki

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA xD
Original post by Kuroki

Lolxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey :smile:

So, I'm obviously in Year 11 and we have our exams coming up soon. So far I've:

-Made notes on everything
-Done mock exams
-Started to make Mind Maps on everything
-Started to do questions

Can I get some more tips on how to revise well please? I'm predicted 9A*s 2A's and I've already got one A. I want atleast 8A*s hopefully, so any help with revision please?
Hey!

As I'm in Year 11, I thought I would join the thread.
I've told myself that I'm better than my predicted grades. My school predicted me 3 A*s and the rest As. I thought this was unfair, considering I was working at an A* in some of the subjects in which I was predicted an A... :/
I got 7 A*s in my mocks, and I'm determined to get even more at GCSE.

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone hoping to do next year (sorry if this has been asked before; I simply do not have time to read all the pages of this thread)? By that, I am referring to both A level choices, and whether you are hoping to stay at your school or go elsewhere.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kvllum

Can I get some more tips on how to revise well please? I'm predicted 9A*s 2A's and I've already got one A. I want atleast 8A*s hopefully, so any help with revision please?

I like to use past papers, especially since I'm absolutely horrible with exam technique (and, as a result, it cost me an A for one of my subjects in my mocks, something I'm still cringing about haha). Other than that, you're pretty much all set! I might even try to make a couple of mind maps for each of my subjects as there's still a fair amount of time before May and June, so thank you :smile:
The reason why I lose marks in exams is exam technique, so this is my main focus.

I know the content a lot of the time, but when it comes to answering the questions, I panic.

So far, I have started to make notes and have done past papers.

I would like to make mind maps because I found out just how effective they can be the other day.

Flash cards don't work for me, but fot some reason, post-it notes do...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LeFeuilly
I like to use past papers, especially since I'm absolutely horrible with exam technique (and, as a result, it cost me an A for one of my subjects in my mocks, something I'm still cringing about haha). Other than that, you're pretty much all set! I might even try to make a couple of mind maps for each of my subjects as there's still a fair amount of time before May and June, so thank you :smile:

We helped each other :cool:
Btw, do you know places where I can sort out exam technique for like Sciences? I get A*s in them but just want to make it solid
Original post by Kvllum
We helped each other :cool:
Btw, do you know places where I can sort out exam technique for like Sciences? I get A*s in them but just want to make it solid

Not entirely sure, sorry! I'll keep my eye out for any :smile:
Original post by Kvllum

So, I'm obviously in Year 11 and we have our exams coming up soon. So far I've:

-Made notes on everything
-Done mock exams
-Started to make Mind Maps on everything
-Started to do questions

- make mnemonics e.g. For English S.P.A.T. (Subject Purpose Audience and Tone) Try doing this for science, find 14 relevant words that spell out photosynthesis for example. This helps to consolidate your knowledge.

- For any topics your unsure of, use the scheme of work on the exam board website, they might reference a video you can watch or something else that you find useful. Re-teach yourself the gaps in your learning.

-Make Flash Cards, only small, not too detailed, in order to trigger your memory. See: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/learning.php?q=&level%5B%5D=gcse&resource%5B%5D=flashcards&subject%5B%5D=biology&subject%5B%5D=chemistry&subject%5B%5D=physics for examples

- Ask your teachers for any helpful booklets or anything sitting at the back of their cupboards that they may have forgotten about 30 yrs ago!
Original post by xx_lofsuburbia
Hey!

As I'm in Year 11, I thought I would join the thread.
I've told myself that I'm better than my predicted grades. My school predicted me 3 A*s and the rest As. I thought this was unfair, considering I was working at an A* in some of the subjects in which I was predicted an A... :/
I got 7 A*s in my mocks, and I'm determined to get even more at GCSE.

Just out of curiosity, what is everyone hoping to do next year (sorry if this has been asked before; I simply do not have time to read all the pages of this thread)? By that, I am referring to both A level choices, and whether you are hoping to stay at your school or go elsewhere.

My school does this too, I guess so they can say we exceeded our predicted grades? I wish they were more realistic though, it would give a lot of people a confidence boost.:smile:

I'm staying at my school's sixth form, taking English lit, History, Theatre Studies and German. You?
Is there any decent gcse history medicine through time threads?
Original post by pursuedbyabear
My school does this too, I guess so they can say we exceeded our predicted grades? I wish they were more realistic though, it would give a lot of people a confidence boost.:smile:

I'm staying at my school's sixth form, taking English lit, History, Theatre Studies and German. You?

You're right. I'm hoping to go elsewhere and study maths, further maths, physics and Spanish, or perhaps French instead of further maths. I guess I'll decide everything on results day.
really struggling in maths at the moment, anyone got any ideas that could help?
A good website is Khan Academy.
You should also do as many past papers as possible between now and the exams.

Latest