The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Sturridge is my boy.

No idea why people slept on him.
Bolton will still be rotation, Everton will be strongest team along with Besiktas.

If Sturridge stays fit then it's between you and Sevilla/Spurs for Europa league.
Original post by KFC Buffet

Just as a separate point, I don't think there is a huge amount of difference between this season and last. In both seasons, we had Sturridge injured for a significant amount of time, and in both we struggled defensively and with formation issues, until finally finding something that works around January time. The major difference is that last season, we had Luis Suarez putting together the best goalscoring run that the PL has ever seen, in the winter months, whereas this season we've had the lowest scoring strikers in the league. I'm not using this as a stick to discredit Rodgers btw - there's definitely a lot more to be had on that particular discussion, but it just seems to me that with each of Rodgers' seasons so far there's been a trend of struggling first half of the season and then coming across a formation/style that works in the new year, and then excelling. Which leaves me optimistic that we will excel this season too. If we'd had even one serviceable striker after Sturridge's injury, we'd be third and in with an outside shot of the title, not too dissimilar to last year.

Kind of what I was saying before hand. We also remember that with Sturridges time out last season you also had pivotal games for the title race that you lost(City and Chelsea away and Sturridge came on partially injured vs Chelsea at Anfield), he was also responsible for your run of form early on in the season. Were it not for him coming, you lot would have never had the season you had last season, which was simply your form from the previous January(after Sturridge+Coutinho coming in) transpiring to the next season and the player development causing you lot to come 2nd.

We also go back to the game 2 seasons back(Suarez bite game) when Sturridge comes on at half time vs Chelsea when we're leading and pretty much in control of the game, he changes it and we're hanging on for life. He scores and assists that game to salvage a draw.

The good thing is that I don't see anybody leaving in the summer that's really important, Gerrard is simply nostalgia. Although you could theoretically go back to using Gerrard at the base which would work with Sturridge back but there's a new working system that doesn't need to be altered for the needs of one player.
(edited 9 years ago)
Rodgers tries to make too many changes to his first XI each summer. I don't think you should add more than 1 or 2 new players into your first XI until players have had a pre-season + half a season to adjust. Whereas Rodgers has 2-4 new players (some enforced) from the start of the season.

Let's not forget that each season Rodgers has basically ended up with a different preferred set up which has worked well.

Think we've gone from 4-3-3 in season one to 4-4-2 (diamond) in season two and now 3-4-3 in season three.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Sturridge is my boy.

No idea why people slept on him.

I understand why they did; a player out for so long may be expected to have a slow return.
Although this was more desperate hope from Arsenal/United fans that he barely made a difference to our side.

Sturridge returned and within 10 minutes he showed everybody just how much of an influential player we've missed for 5 months.

I know he's an injury prone player so you can't expect him to be fit all season, but it's frustrating to imagine where we would be in this league if he hadn't been out for this long.
Original post by Zerforax
Rodgers tries to make too many changes to his first XI each summer. I don't think you should add more than 1 or 2 new players into your first XI until players have had a pre-season + half a season to adjust. Whereas Rodgers has 2-4 new players (some enforced) from the start of the season.

Let's not forget that each season Rodgers has basically ended up with a different preferred set up which has worked well.

Think we've gone from 4-3-3 in season one to 4-4-2 (diamond) in season two and now 3-4-3 in season three.

I feel like the summer window will be a little different since we'll be solely focused on adding "quality" rather than squad depth.
Obviously the level of quality we can attain will certainly depend on if we have CL football next season, however if Rodgers can surprise us all by buying several quality players, next season would be looking very positive.

As for our top 4 chances, the next few weeks will lay it out for us, although unlikely slip ups from Arsenal and Soton today would be nice :biggrin:
The issue I have with Coutinho is his end product. He would be on the same level as Oscar if he had a decent end product.

Sometimes he needs the ball to fall to him a certain way to score it. He isn't a natural finisher but his build-up play makes him a world beater tbh. If he could just get five or six more goals a season, he'd be on the PFA Player of the Year shortlist year in, year out. His trickery and speed of thought is exceptional - he thinks quicker than he moves his feet, and that says something!
Original post by Lúcio
I feel like the summer window will be a little different since we'll be solely focused on adding "quality" rather than squad depth.
Obviously the level of quality we can attain will certainly depend on if we have CL football next season, however if Rodgers can surprise us all by buying several quality players, next season would be looking very positive.

As for our top 4 chances, the next few weeks will lay it out for us, although unlikely slip ups from Arsenal and Soton today would be nice :biggrin:

We'll go for a big mix of players like we did last summer tbfh. Let's not forget we spent £25mil on Lallana, £20mil on Markovic and £16mil on Balotelli and then the smaller dealers too. Will this summer be that different?
Original post by Mackay
The issue I have with Coutinho is his end product. He would be on the same level as Oscar if he had a decent end product.

Sometimes he needs the ball to fall to him a certain way to score it. He isn't a natural finisher but his build-up play makes him a world beater tbh. If he could just get five or six more goals a season, he'd be on the PFA Player of the Year shortlist year in, year out. His trickery and speed of thought is exceptional - he thinks quicker than he moves his feet, and that says something!

I think we'll see the best of Coutinho with Sturridge back. He spots the runs better than anyone else and can make that pass. We need him to chip in with goals, not be a regular scorer per say.

Oscar's a year older than Coutinho so maybe he can make up that gap in that time?
Original post by Mackay

agree - i've always seen oscar as a coutinho upgrade, however there are a few differences.
i feel like coutinho is a little more agile and able to slip past a man better, whilst oscar is pretty good at simply getting the ball in the net.

coutinho has several occasions every year where he would score a "goal of the season" contender if he could just put it away.
he'll beat 4 men then shoot straight at the keeper.
he just seems to panic when he gets a chance and it always seems to go central.

We'll go for a big mix of players like we did last summer tbfh. Let's not forget we spent £25mil on Lallana, £20mil on Markovic and £16mil on Balotelli and then the smaller dealers too. Will this summer be that different?

true; i'm not quite sure how much money we'll have to spend, although we'll have more freedom because we already have a decent bit of depth (like i said).
ideally we're looking at a GK, CB/DM (depending on Can's position) and a striker.
maybe also a CM as backup to henderson due to the loss of gerrard.

a keeper wouldn't cost much more than 10m, a CB/DM is likely to be 10-20m and a striker probably around 30m.
so there you're looking at spending 50-60m to complete our team, minus the sales we'll get from casting out deadwood like balotelli and allen.
Original post by Mackay
Wouldn't have to be Suarez per se, but definitely somebody of that ilk. Anybody willing to put in a good shift and press intensely really.

Pressing isn't just about running, it's more about thinking and cutting off passing angles, making play predictable.

But that's just an added benefit - the main point is that a Milner, Lucas Henderson midfielder offers little going forwards so we'd need a striker of Suarez's quality to make up for it. Kind of like our diamond last year with Allen instead of Milner.
Original post by jam277
Kind of what I was saying before hand. We also remember that with Sturridges time out last season you also had pivotal games for the title race that you lost(City and Chelsea away and Sturridge came on partially injured vs Chelsea at Anfield), he was also responsible for your run of form early on in the season. Were it not for him coming, you lot would have never had the season you had last season, which was simply your form from the previous January(after Sturridge+Coutinho coming in) transpiring to the next season and the player development causing you lot to come 2nd.

We also go back to the game 2 seasons back(Suarez bite game) when Sturridge comes on at half time vs Chelsea when we're leading and pretty much in control of the game, he changes it and we're hanging on for life. He scores and assists that game to salvage a draw.

The good thing is that I don't see anybody leaving in the summer that's really important, Gerrard is simply nostalgia. Although you could theoretically go back to using Gerrard at the base which would work with Sturridge back but there's a new working system that doesn't need to be altered for the needs of one player.

Well he's a great player obviously, so idk what point you're making? lol. He wasn't 'responsible' for our form (10 points out of 15 anyway which isn't exactly earth-shattering).

And no, 'player development' in the second half of the season was not the reason for our run of form. Our second half of the season run was down to Brendan Rodgers, and if there was any 'player development', it was primarily from Sterling and Coutinho, aka players for whose development (both long term development and short term deployment) the credit goes to Rodgers. But the main reason was Rodgers' methods of player conditioning leaving us fitter/faster than other teams, Rodgers' set up getting the best out of our limited resources, especially Gerrard (whose dead ball goals and assists were key), and Rodgers' game to game flexibility (Sturridge wide against Everton, Sterling vs United etc).

Gerrard is pretty close to nostalgia, but not quite. I don't think he offers a cutting edge as a number 10 anymore so he doesn't deserve to stay in the team really, and he just hasn't produced the dead ball quality that we saw last season to make up for that. But the squad is better with him in it than without it, for sure.
I think we'll see the best of Coutinho with Sturridge back. He spots the runs better than anyone else and can make that pass. We need him to chip in with goals, not be a regular scorer per say.

Oscar's a year older than Coutinho so maybe he can make up that gap in that time?

Agreed.

Let's hope so. Good piece on This is Anfield about Coutinho being Rodgers' best signing.
Original post by Lúcio
agree - i've always seen oscar as a coutinho upgrade, however there are a few differences.
i feel like coutinho is a little more agile and able to slip past a man better, whilst oscar is pretty good at simply getting the ball in the net.

coutinho has several occasions every year where he would score a "goal of the season" contender if he could just put it away.
he'll beat 4 men then shoot straight at the keeper.
he just seems to panic when he gets a chance and it always seems to go central.

If he's to go to the next level, you are looking at him to put away chances like yesterday's and the one at Stamford Bridge during midweek.
right okay so we have bolton, everton and spurs within 6 days.
what's the best plan?
rest sturridge against bolton and take him off early vs everton?

spurs is the biggie.
we always do well against them but they have a frustrating combination of specific players on form and ridiculous luck.
luckily for us it's the london derby next week so as long as we beat everton, we'll come in to the spurs game either above tottenham or 1 point behind arsenal.

16 points from last 18, best form in the league.
people were writing us off at christmas; i said it was too early - wonder if people will start listening to me more now.

Original post by Mackay
If he's to go to the next level, you are looking at him to put away chances like yesterday's and the one at Stamford Bridge during midweek.

exactly - he does everything right but then makes it null and void by not sticking the ball in the back of the net.
it's becoming too typical of our players to have outstanding build up play but below average finishing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
what's the best plan?

The back three and Mignolet need to be playing as much as possible together - so I'd be surprised if we altered them bar an injury.

I'd personally give Rossiter a chance against Bolton, and maybe rest Sturridge because we have a plethora of other footballers who are needing game time up top (Borini, Lambert and Balotelli).
Original post by Mackay
The back three and Mignolet need to be playing as much as possible together - so I'd be surprised if we altered them bar an injury.

I'd personally give Rossiter a chance against Bolton, and maybe rest Sturridge because we have a plethora of other footballers who are needing game time up top (Borini, Lambert and Balotelli).

i agree - the backline needs to get some nice chemistry; they're doing well recently, even mignolet looks less shaky.
from what i saw in the game yesterday, he didn't have much to do but he was strong with punches from corners and just looked a little more comfortable.

yeah, i'd give rossiter a chance, stick ibe on and throw balotelli up front.
personally i would've played gerrard yesterday so he could be rested against bolton and then played in the merseyside derby.

even though we're away, we shouldn't be losing this tie.
Original post by Lúcio
what's the best plan?

spurs is the biggie.

people were writing us off at christmas; i said it was too early - wonder if people will start listening to me more now.

He needs match fitness so second half against Bolton makes sense, then he can have 70+ minutes against both Everton and Spurs.

Everton away is a much, much harder game than Spurs at home.

And no, nobody is going to listen to you.
Original post by Lúcio

yeah, i'd give rossiter a chance, stick ibe on and throw balotelli up front.
personally i would've played gerrard yesterday so he could be rested against bolton and then played in the merseyside derby.

Ibe is cup-tied, mate!
Original post by KFC Buffet
He needs match fitness so second half against Bolton makes sense, then he can have 70+ minutes against both Everton and Spurs.

Everton away is a much, much harder game than Spurs at home.

And no, nobody is going to listen to you.

that's fair; just worried about our excessively clustered fixture list - not sure if our players can keep up, especially one only just back from injury.

the derby game may be harder because of it's intensity and upredictability (bloody jagielka...) but the spurs game is much, much more important.
the ideal scenario is that spurs take points off arsenal and then we beat them (obviously).

nah, even though everything i said turned out right, nobody wants the shame of crediting Lúcio.

Original post by Mackay
Ibe is cup-tied, mate!

oh yeah, fair - my mistake :/

their manager is good but bolton won't defend like that for another full game, no way.
plus, they're actually gonna have to come out and attack this time so they can't park the bus all match.

Quick Reply

Latest