The Student Room Group

Good universities in clearing?

Scroll to see replies

the problem is even if the top unis are in clearing they are all likely to want similar grades to bath. oxford Cambridge durham ucl warwickj Exeter bath Bristol and others want A*AA or better. if you are unable to get those grades you need to reduce your aspirations to get into a top 10 uni, good unis offering AAB for maths include east Anglia, Sheffield Cardiff kent Loughborough and Lancaster and you might be best looking at those if they are in clearing
Original post by swanseajack1
the problem is even if the top unis are in clearing they are all likely to want similar grades to bath. oxford Cambridge durham ucl warwickj Exeter bath Bristol and others want A*AA or better. if you are unable to get those grades you need to reduce your aspirations to get into a top 10 uni, good unis offering AAB for maths include east Anglia, Sheffield Cardiff kent Loughborough and Lancaster and you might be best looking at those if they are in clearing

I will easily get A*AA (my offer would likely be much higher), but I do see your point. If I fail to get into Bath or Warwick, I probably couldn't get into these others. I wouldn't be happy going to unis that only require AAB, so would rather wait another year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Morgan8002 - there is no guarantee you will get an offer if you resit.

You'd be better aiming for a 1st. as A level grades are not as important as the degree classification.
Original post by ageshallnot

Out of interest I just had a look at the clearing lists for Maths for the past couple of years and there are perfectly good unis in there such as Manchester, Leeds, King's etc. This year, who knows?

Original post by morgan8002
Those aren't good unis. I'd be looking at something better.

Other than Cambridge, does anyone know of any good maths and physics courses that don't put much stock on English ability?

Your first comment is breathtakingly arrogant. However, it appears to be explained by your second in that you don't understand the meaning of the word 'good'.
Original post by Muttley79
Morgan8002 - there is no guarantee you will get an offer if you resit.

You'd be better aiming for a 1st. as A level grades are not as important as the degree classification.

Do you mean go to another uni for a year and then transfer? So would I be more likely to get in if I went via that route?
No - there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 1st in maths from Exeter or Southampton or Reading or another RG university.

Stay there for the whole degree if you don't met your offers; seriously it will make absolutely no difference.
Your first comment is breathtakingly arrogant. However, it appears to be explained by your second in that you don't understand the meaning of the word 'good'.

I didn't mean to sound arrogant, but I don't want to go to a uni where I'd just be waiting in the first year for everyone else to catch up.
If you look at the entry requirements for those unis, they are low.
Original post by Muttley79
No - there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 1st in maths from Exeter or Southampton or Reading or another RG university.

Stay there for the whole degree if you don't met your offers; seriously it will make absolutely no difference.

I might consider Exeter or somewhere. I'll take what you said into account.
Exeter is a great uni with a fantastic campus - you wouldn't regret going there.
I didn't mean to sound arrogant, but I don't want to go to a uni where I'd just be waiting in the first year for everyone else to catch up.

I'm afraid you are coming across in exactly that way. What you are looking for, btw, is an 'excellent' or perhaps 'exceptional' university.

Even though you write well, once again you have failed to grasp the meaning of a simple English word - this time it is 'low'. For Maths, Manchester's standard offer is A*AA, King's and Leeds want AAA. Even taking grade inflation into account, none of those is 'low'.
I'm afraid you are coming across in exactly that way. What you are looking for, btw, is an 'excellent' or perhaps 'exceptional' university.

Even though you write well, once again you have failed to grasp the meaning of a simple English word - this time it is 'low'. For Maths, Manchester's standard offer is A*AA, King's and Leeds want AAA. Even taking grade inflation into account, none of those is 'low'.

Manchester goes down to AAA. These are a fair amount lower than Warwick's A*A*A, plus 2 in STEP for example.
Arguing terminology will get us nowhere.
Manchester goes down to AAA. These are a fair amount lower than Warwick's A*A*A, plus 2 in STEP for example.

Manchester's AAA is for contextual offers.

'Lower' =/= 'Low'. But enough said.

Given that you are obviously very good at Maths, what is the problem with meeting your Bath/Warwick offers?
Do good universities take part in clearing? I'm not sure if I'll make my offers for Bath and Warwick and I want to know whether there will be any similarly ranked universities (top 10 for maths/maths and physics) taking part. I wouldn't go to any that are ranked lower than that otherwise I'd just be wasting much of the first year waiting for everyone to catch up. If there aren't any that good on there, I would have to take a gap year to get my exam results up.

Nobody will be playing catch up with you. The likelihood is you'll be the one playing catch up and if you take another year to get your grades up to scratch then you're already playing catch up by one year against your age equivalents anyway. If you can't make the grade first time around to study Maths or Maths and Physics at either Warwick or Bath, what makes you think you'll be an exemplary student at undergraduate level at either of those institutions a year later? Also, if you struggle to make the grade first time around I think thats a clear indication that you're academically at a level below either of those institutions. I think it's time you took a reality check.

you are coming over as extremely arrogant. there are many very good unis you are rejecting. if you do not have grade c at English language then no uni will accept you and basically you would be rejected as you will have failed to meet the entry requirement. if you have grade c it will make no difference and you will get appropriate offers
Manchester's AAA is for contextual offers.

'Lower' =/= 'Low'. But enough said.

Given that you are obviously very good at Maths, what is the problem with meeting your Bath/Warwick offers?

GCSE English. I'm definitely going to fail this year and I'm not sure if I can get good enough A-level/STEP grades to compensate.

My original question has been answered (there's not many options if I don't get in), but if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.
GCSE English. I'm definitely going to fail this year and I'm not sure if I can get good enough A-level/STEP grades to compensate.

My original question has been answered (there's not many options if I don't get in), but if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

That's interesting. Your written English seems perfectly adequate - apart from certain definitions!!! :smile: What makes you so certain?
Reply 36

You will spend less than half a term waiting for people to catch up, that's if you plan to sit all the mechanics modules. Further maths is covered in most universities in the first 2-3 weeks, with only a couple maths lectures a week. The physics will immediately be a higher level, but with a nice soft introduction.

I might consider Exeter or somewhere. I'll take what you said into account.

I can recommend Exeter, it's a really nice university, good courses (I study Astrophysics here, Maths and Physics combined attend some of the same lectures), I rejected all my other offers to come for multiple reasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Phichi
You will spend less than half a term waiting for people to catch up, that's if you plan to sit all the mechanics modules. Further maths is covered in most universities in the first 2-3 weeks, with only a couple maths lectures a week. The physics will immediately be a higher level, but with a nice soft introduction.

I can recommend Exeter, it's a really nice university, good courses (I study Astrophysics here, Maths and Physics combined attend some of the same lectures), I rejected all my other offers to come for multiple reasons.

Thanks, that's reassuring. That was one of my worries about some of the unis.
my son actually chose Exeter 15th and 8th over bath 6th and 13th .Lancaster is excellent too. 11th and 12th in guardian and cug rankings but it doesn't matter. no grade c English none of them will take you
GCSE results day. GCSEs are much more important than A-levels when it comes to applying to uni.

Depending on what alternate offers I get for Bath and Warwick, I might know if I get in by the 13th, but if I fail to get in at all, I won't know until the 20th.

You'll find A-levels actually matter more

Remember you applied and they offered you a place so you are in with a good chance many palaces still confirm a place on a course even if you miss the offer. why won't you know until the 20th?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending