The Student Room Group

I thought this was a compliment...she didn't.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JulianRothschild
This sounds like something I'd say.

This works all the time, with the right vibe and attitude.

Are you sure you read the signals correct?

Don't apologise to her either, stand your ground, you meant want you said and she knew full well what she was doing.

Don't stop saying these things, most women on this forum like to think themselves as moral and justified, in reality they're not.

"Oh that's cheesy oh this."

They state they want one thing, then five years later, they're having sexual intercourse in public for the 'excitement'.

Thanks :smile: Yeh I think so. She doesn't mind a little flirting at work. This was just the natural next thing to say.
Reply 41
Original post by Anonymous
Isn't this going a bit far?!

I didn't mean OP/you have actually harassed her (sorry on my phone and can't see if you're the thread starter). But she'll have you pegged as "fancies me and makes creepy comments". If you happened to say something else that made her feel threatened, and she mentioned it at work, that kind of thing can quickly get blown out of proportion. Seen it happen! For your sake, steer clear. She's obviously not interested anyway.
Original post by PangXie
I didn't mean OP/you have actually harassed her (sorry on my phone and can't see if you're the thread starter). But she'll have you pegged as "fancies me and makes creepy comments". If you happened to say something else that made her feel threatened, and she mentioned it at work, that kind of thing can quickly get blown out of proportion. Seen it happen! For your sake, steer clear. She's obviously not interested anyway.

Yeh I am going to stay clear of her.
Best thing op can do now is just laugh it off as a crap joke if confronted, and otherwise act exactly the same.
Original post by KingStannis
Best thing op can do now is just laugh it off as a crap joke if confronted, and otherwise act exactly the same.

Just shut up. By making four seperate comments at regular intervals you're just bumping the thread up so more people come in and rep your stupid comment at the top. Now shh.
Original post by Clip
This is actually one of the worst things I have ever heard.

I have said some stupid things to women in my time, but this puts me in the amateur leagues of stupidity.

Why is it THAT bad?
Guy didn't say anything too bad to my taste.
Just shut up. By making four seperate comments at regular intervals you're just bumping the thread up so more people come in and rep your stupid comment at the top. Now shh.

The thought never crossed my mind.

Seriously though, if you previously had a good rapport with her, then i'd message her as to what the problem was. If you you were only loose acquaintances, then act normal, and play it down if confronted. that's genuinely what I'd do. It's an unbelievably weird and cheesy line, but she's overreacting and I'd be confused too.
I once said 'big boobs' and she said 'thanks, all guys like big boobs'.
Reply 48
Original post by Placeboo123
Why is it THAT bad?
Guy didn't say anything too bad to my taste.

Firstly, it's a line

Second, it's the perfect storm of crass, boring and desperate.

PRSOM.. wonder who OP is :teehee:..
OP the main problem here isn't that what you said was outrageously offensive, it's that it sounds pretty cringeworthy. When you say a line like that to a girl, you just become an 'anecdote' to her friends....she will say you said that and all her friends will crack up laughing and they will basically be making fun of you. She can't go out with you after that, you have just lost credibility with her and her friends.

Instead you need to be the guy the girl talks about to her friends in the sense of "there's this guy at work, he's really nice, I'm not sure if he's in to me or not but we seem to get on well, he said X, Y and Z, what do you think, does it sound like he likes me?" and her friends to be encouraging and say "he sounds a pretty cool guy, looks like he could be interested, you should suggest going out when it's just teh two of you and see if he loosens up".

As a general rule any line that looks like it's pre-rehearsed and you didn't come up with it yourself, is going to come over as awkward and cringey to a girl. The best compliments are always ones that are sincere and based on truth. A sincere compliment is simple, it doesn't sound like a "line" it just is what it is. If you are attracted to her there must be some reason, you must think she's beautiful, intelligent, witty, fun company, kind and understanding, whatever the real reason you like her is just say that rather than use a line.

Also stay away from lines that make suggestive insinuations about her character, like that "lips of sin" one - especially when you have no evidence for that. If you're going to say eyes of an angel, lips of sin, say it when you're in bed after having sex when there is some relevance to the comment. When she's not given you any reason to think that it's likely to annoy her because of the implication. It's like when guys say things about girls being "naughty" or "have you been behaving? I don't believe you :wink: "....that type of thing always falls flat on its face if the girl has never actually been "naughty" with the person saying it...
I view her response as a slight overreaction tbh. Then again, you did use an incredibly corny line.
I assume you were talking about the lips on her face??

By her reaction, she probably thought that you meant lips down below.

Just say sorry and tell her you like her. Hopefully she's broadminded enough to realise you meant no harm and at the very least, she'll accept your apology.
Reply 53
I'd say OP can do one of the following

- never talk to girl again
- laugh it off, lie and say you're a lightweight
- apologise

That line though...
Oh dear. The thing is how am I meant to say the words... Hi. Friday night, I wasn't implying that you should give me a blowjob.

How can even mention the word blowjob to her at work :/

I can't believe that she would have thought this anyway...

Hey just be cool and next time you see her casually apologise for the misunderstanding, you don't need to mention fallatio or any other clumsy attempts at explanation.

Drop the apology and then move the conversation on.

And in future NEVER DROP LINES.

They're bad and almost never work.
Reply 55
On the plus side, she does think about giving blowjobs?
Original post by MagicNMedicine
OP the main problem here isn't that what you said was outrageously offensive, it's that it sounds pretty cringeworthy.

The thing is that this "line" isn't really a line.

It was constructed from my mind's "buffer" if you will, of wanting to say,

1. You have really pretty blue eyes,
2. I like you
3. Your accent is so sexy and you could probably say far more sexy things to me.

So all that came together and I said that.

But yeh I might tone down how lyrically my thoughts are expressed in the future.
My plan for tomorrow, I dunno, how to play it.

Half of you think ive said something reasonable given the cirsumtances, the other half think im totally out of line...

I might just go with 'Nice lips' + BIG grin. Leave it at that. May be she was having a bad day on Friday and now she'll see the funny side!
Original post by jazjaz
Actually I did say that I was weird like that and I would like that I never said all women would like it. But I don't think she had to throw a paddy and storm over it if she didn't like it sounds like a drama queen.

Agreed. Not the smoothest but still nothing to actually get pissed about.
Reply 59
All I can say is good luck for tomorrow! Should be an interesting conversation!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending