The Student Room Group

How many roundabouts do examiners take you on?

Is it just one? Or can it be several?
Reply 1
How long is a piece of string?

It depends on the route chosen, but they can take you to as many roundabouts / traffic lights / crossroads / T-Junctions / hazards as you are likely to come across in any typical 35 minute journey in normal, everyday life.
Depends on the route. But I think if there's any awkward ones they'll often include them on the test route.

On mine there was one with an awkward crossing right in front of it and buildings either side of it (so you had to watch out for people suddenly coming round the corner and getting to the crossing), and this was in the centre of a busy town. Apparently a lot of people fail on that roundabout. I got that roundabout on both of my tests (passed 2nd time).
Yeah it depends on the route they take you on and also, if the town you're driving in has a lot of roundabouts anyway?
The town that I took my test in had a lot of roundabouts, so I probably did 6-7 but I'd say 2 of them were mini roundabouts. Don't let it bother you though, you'll be fine. You never know, you might only get a few. Just don't rush into anything and think things through (I know is hard as you can be really nervous). Hope this helps :smile:
Some test centres have no roundabouts and some have many; it is down to the local area.
Reply 5
depends where you are, on my test I had to go over about 8 just to get away from town, then a load of NSL backroads, a short stretch of dual carriage way, then the same stretch of roundabouts etc coming back
To answer your question, there can be several roundabouts but it all depends on the route that you'll take during your driving test.
Reply 7
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
The first lesson I did roundabouts on I did four proper roundabouts and three mini roundabouts.

Great. Well done you. What has that got to do with the question?
Original post by Zuki
Is it just one? Or can it be several?

I took my test in Milton Keynes (which probably has more roundabouts than people) so I went round at least twenty if you include mini roundabouts.

In other places it would probably not be more than a handful. There is no limit, it just depends on the route your examiner takes you. A good estimate would be roughly how many roundabouts there are near your examining centre.
Original post by Vousden
Great. Well done you. What has that got to do with the question?

I confused examiners with instructors.

Add one inch to your e-peen; you deserve it :smile:
Original post by RFowler
Depends on the route. But I think if there's any awkward ones they'll often include them on the test route.

On mine there was one with an awkward crossing right in front of it and buildings either side of it (so you had to watch out for people suddenly coming round the corner and getting to the crossing), and this was in the centre of a busy town. Apparently a lot of people fail on that roundabout. I got that roundabout on both of my tests (passed 2nd time).

Is that dorchester by any chance?
Original post by Mmmmmmbgh
Is that dorchester by any chance?

No, Northallerton in North Yorkshire.

Here's a screenshot from google street view, I'm not sure I've explained it properly. It's just an example of an awkward roundabout the examiners try to catch people out on.

Original post by RFowler
No, Northallerton in North Yorkshire.

Here's a screenshot from google street view, I'm not sure I've explained it properly. It's just an example of an awkward roundabout the examiners try to catch people out on.

This the one I was on about. It also has pedestrian crossings of the exits. It is a small roundabout with keep clear road markings in quite a few places. On this roundabout it gets quite busy and really blocked and congested. It has different rules for this roundabout so the left lane is for left only and the right lane is for straight ahead and right. It confuses lots of people and makes people fail. I'm lucky enough to understand so that I didn't fail it on my test. The area I was coming from on this map is the main high street with the courts on the right and the hospital straight ahead so as you can imagine it gets quite busy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending