The Student Room Group

Share your weekly workout routine.

Scroll to see replies

Current plan is:

5X5 ramping to a heavy top set, then a few singles on top if I fancy, although they aren't programmed, just go with the flow.

Squats
Bench
Lat work if/when I can be bothered

Deadlift
Press

Squats
Bench

Accessory day
5X10 on two lat exercises
3X10 on a bicep exercise
3X10 facepulls
5X10 hamstring curls
5X10 chest press
Thread sliming 101

Please keep it on track, I'll leave the maths and other school discussion for the time being, but anymore and I'll have to remove and warn where needed. If you want to discuss maths, go to the correct forum.
Reply 22
Original post by Motorbiker
Fair enough. How about some light Fronties on Saturday?

I only train Saturday because the gf works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plan is to do front squat eventually. By the time I'm better conditioned to tae kwon do my back should be feeling ok to do them again
Anyone trying to improve flexibility? Cos my wrists are poor and never actually get round to doing any stretching
Original post by Angry cucumber
Bed or lecture x 7 days a week atm

Injured life

How did you get injured? :mmm:
Original post by rugbybeast
Anyone trying to improve flexibility? Cos my wrists are poor and never actually get round to doing any stretching

Yeah I do 5-10 min stretches everyday

Yeah, doing de franco's limber 11 regularly, along with ankle and quad stretching most sessions, ankle stretching for improving bottom position in squat, quad stretching to help improve my anterior pelvic tilt.
Reply 27

I static stretch and foam roll most of my body most days. If I'm busy I just do the problem spots. I do dynamic mobility stuff as warm up. If you have one particular problem spot I'd stretch it several times a day, dynamic and static, and try to figure out if something is causing it- how you sit at a computer is to blame for most people's problems.
Alternate workouts

Incline bench 5*5
Deadlift 1*5

Squat 3*5 or 5*5
Press 5*5

Rows, chin ups, triceps work every session. Facepulls most of the time.

Train every 2-3 days usually. Aim for every other day but real life/work/other sport gets in the way.
(edited 9 years ago)
monday
chest and biceps

weds
chest and triceps

fri
shoulders and biceps

sat
legs/back

sun
rest
Reply 30
Push Day:
- Pushups: 5x15
- Chest Dips: 4x12
- Triceps Extensions: 3x20
- Bench Dips: 3x15
- HSPU: 5x5
- Hindu Pushups: 3x12

Pull Day:
- Pull-ups: 5x8
- Inverted Rows: 3x12
- Back bridges: 4x10
- One-arm Assisted Chin-ups: 4x5
- One-arm Inverted Rows: 3x8
- Chins Isometric Holds: 3xFailure

Legs Day:
- Squats: 5x20
- Jumping Squats: 4x15
- Lunges: 3x30
- Sprints: 4x20sec
- Box Jumps: 3x10
- Hanging Leg Raises: 3xfailure
- L-sit: 3xfailure

push/pull/legs/off
Original post by Illidan_Stormrage
monday
chest and biceps

weds
chest and triceps

fri
shoulders and biceps

sat
legs/back

sun
rest

Are arms a big weakness for you or something?
For the next 2 weeks:

day 1:
hang power snatch 3 reps-21 lifts
snatch DL 5 reps 25 lifts
snatch pulls (fast and explosive) light 3 reps-9 lifts
heavy front squat 5-4 reps -20 lifts

day 2:
push press 3 reps-21 lifts
clean pulls from boxes, heavy 5 rep-25 lifts
core work, stretching, jumps

day 3:
3 hang cleans + 1 jerk 3 rep-21 lifts
clean pulls 5 rep- 25 lifts
clean pulls (light and fast) 3 rep-9 lifts
front squat (medium) 5-4 rep-20 lifts

day 4:
hang snatch 3 rep-21 lifts
rack jerks 3 rep 18-21 lifts

day 5:
snatch 3-2 reps 18 lifts
clean and jerk 3-2 reps-18 lifts
back squat (light) 4-5 reps -20 lifts

dag 6
drop snatch/snatch balance 3 rep 18-21 lifts
press 3 reps-18 lifts
snatch pulls from blocks (heavy) 5 rep-25 lifts
PHUL template with cardio added in!

M Run - Power Upper
T Power Lower
W Run
Th Hypertrophy Upper
F Run - Hypertrophy Lower
S Rest
Sn Rest

Not necessarily those exact days of the week. But that's the cycle. :tongue:
I work on a torso/limbs split, which is a modified upper/lower split as used in Dorian Yates' AB routine, Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size and DoggCrapp - so each muscle gets trained twice a week with low-moderate volume. I train one day on, one day off, mostly for hypertrophy purposes but obviously progressive overload is of high priority and I've gained a lot of strength training like this.

The first 2 workouts in the week are trained under Dorian Yates' HIT principles; after any warmup sets, each exercise gets one set to complete muscular failure and then finished off with an intensity technique (such as dropsets, rest-pause, partials etc) and are based around heavy compounds and attempting to increase by one rep each week, before increasing the weight when it gets too light.

Workout A:

Dumbbell bench
Incline bench
Dumbbell shoulder press
Widegrip pullups
Widegrip barbell rows
Underhand pulldowns

Workout B:

Dumbbell curls
Skullcrushers
Squats
Romanian DLs
Standing calf raises
Seated calf raises

The next 2 workouts are trained under Vince Gironda's 6x6 method, using lighter weights, high volume and very short rest periods, focusing on training density (a lot of work within a short space of time). Less compounds are used here and the muscles are trained under both stretch reflex and then peak contraction (POF principles). Weight is increased when all 6 reps on the last set can be completed.
Rest periods are 30 seconds between sets and 2-3 minutes between exercises (2 minutes between exercises on one musclegroup, 3 minutes between musclegroup).

Workout C:

Incline flyes
Cable crossovers
Lateral raises
Incline lateral raises
Dumbbell pullovers
Bench supported dumbbell rows
Rear delt flyes

Workout D:

Incline curls
Cable curls
Overhead extensions
Pushdowns
Lying leg extensions
Seated leg extensions
SLDL
Leg curls

Seems like a LOT of volume, but considering the low intensity of the movements involved and low amount of exercises per muscle, it's certainly manageable.
Pretty basic stronglifts to get strong again quickly after breaking my foot.

A: Squat 5x5, bench 5x5, row 5x5, dips 3x8

B: Squat 5x5, OHP 5x5, DL 1x5, chins 3x8

Try to do a MWOD or two a day. I should have done GreySkulls LP tbh, but I forgot about it and had already started this. I dislike hopping programs (especially when LP) so gonna stick this out til at least end of March I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Monday & Thursday - Chest & Tris (1 hour) with 1 hour of cardio
Tuesday & Friday - Back & Bis (1 hour) with 1 hour cardio
Wednesday & Saturday - Shoulders & Legs (1 hour) with 1 hour cardio
Sunday - Ab workout and 1 hour of cardio

Works well for me and I can stick to it happily.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I work on a torso/limbs split, which is a modified upper/lower split as used in Dorian Yates' AB routine, Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size and DoggCrapp - so each muscle gets trained twice a week with low-moderate volume. I train one day on, one day off, mostly for hypertrophy purposes but obviously progressive overload is of high priority and I've gained a lot of strength training like this.

The first 2 workouts in the week are trained under Dorian Yates' HIT principles; after any warmup sets, each exercise gets one set to complete muscular failure and then finished off with an intensity technique (such as dropsets, rest-pause, partials etc) and are based around heavy compounds and attempting to increase by one rep each week, before increasing the weight when it gets too light.

Workout A:

Dumbbell bench
Incline bench
Dumbbell shoulder press
Widegrip pullups
Widegrip barbell rows
Underhand pulldowns

Workout B:

Dumbbell curls
Skullcrushers
Squats
Romanian DLs
Standing calf raises
Seated calf raises

The next 2 workouts are trained under Vince Gironda's 6x6 method, using lighter weights, high volume and very short rest periods, focusing on training density (a lot of work within a short space of time). Less compounds are used here and the muscles are trained under both stretch reflex and then peak contraction (POF principles). Weight is increased when all 6 reps on the last set can be completed.
Rest periods are 30 seconds between sets and 2-3 minutes between exercises (2 minutes between exercises on one musclegroup, 3 minutes between musclegroup).

Workout C:

Incline flyes
Cable crossovers
Lateral raises
Incline lateral raises
Dumbbell pullovers
Bench supported dumbbell rows
Rear delt flyes

Workout D:

Incline curls
Cable curls
Overhead extensions
Pushdowns
Lying leg extensions
Seated leg extensions
SLDL
Leg curls

Seems like a LOT of volume, but considering the low intensity of the movements involved and low amount of exercises per muscle, it's certainly manageable.

That's actually a pretty cool workout IMO.
Original post by SmashConcept
That's actually a pretty cool workout IMO.

Serves me well :smile: Not something you'd need to be doing unless you're pretty advanced, just sticking to the basics will work very well for the first couple of years, no need to be really focusing on specifics before then really. A bit of isolation work is fine of course.
Yes, I also don't think I would really be able to handle doing dumbbell or machine exercises first in a workout for a long period of time. I really like the idea of going for intensity on smaller movements like skullcrushers and curls though, I think that's a pretty underrated idea.

Quick Reply

Latest