The Student Room Group

Britons loathe Israel more than Iran

Britons feel more “unfavorable” to Israel than any other country worldwide except North Korea, a survey found.

The survey taken in August and published Thursday by Chatham House, the Royal Institute of International Affairs showed a massive surge in negative attitudes toward Israel since the previous such study, two years earlier. Thirty-five percent of Britons said they “feel especially unfavorable towards” Israel in the 2014 survey, compared to 17% in 2012.

That figure meant that Israel is regarded more unfavorably by Britons than Iran 33% in the 2014 survey, compared to 45% in 2012. Only North Korea fares worse regarded as especially unfavorable by 47% in 2014, compared to 40% in 2012.

Commenting on the dramatic rise in hostile attitudes to Israel, the compilers noted that,
The survey was conducted in August 2014 at a time when Israel was engaged in a military operation in Gaza against Hamas that caused large numbers of civilian casualties.

In a section summing up Britons’ attitudes to nations outside Europe, the authors noted that
North Korea is viewed most unfavorably (47%), followed by Israel (35%). The number of those viewing Israel unfavorably has increased by 18 points since 2012, presumably in response to the controversial military campaign in Gaza and the civilian casualties it caused, which were prominent in the news at the time the survey was conducted. Iran (33%) is the third most unfavorably viewed country, though its rating is down by 12 points compared with 2012. Pakistan (28%) and Nigeria (21%) complete the top five.

The Chatham House study entitled “Internationalism or Isolationism? British Attitudes Towards the UK’s International Priorities” was based on a YouGov poll in August which questioned a representative sample of 2,059 adults.

Britain will be holding general elections in May. Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron was broadly supportive of Israel during the summer conflict. Opposition Labor leader Ed Miliband was far more critical.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/britons-loathe-israel-more-than-iran-survey-finds/
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing (much) against Iran.

Don't like Israel.
Reply 2
I hate religious war, Don't like the iran goverment ,but the persian people are the kind :smile: they have a beautiful history as well.
I don't like the existence of israel, but at least it's not a dictatorship (iran)
Nobody likes Israel becuase they are are prosperous and powerful nation. Pretty much what the nazis would fear would happen.

But in the real world, there isn't much wrong with it. Yes, they are oppressing Palestine rather too much, but many people select to ignore the fact that Israel has historically tried much harder to bring about peace than Palestine has. Also, Palestine itself is a nasty, crooked nation nation run by open anti-Semites.

Disagree with me? Go onto youtube and type in 'Palestine kids TV'. Its all real.

or

'Palestine knife cartoon' to Google images.
Original post by SmallDuck
Nobody likes Israel becuase they are are prosperous and powerful nation. Pretty much what the nazis would fear would happen.

But in the real world, there isn't much wrong with it. Yes, they are oppressing Palestine rather too much, but many people select to ignore the fact that Israel has historically tried much harder to bring about peace than Palestine has. Also, Palestine itself is a nasty, crooked nation nation run by open anti-Semites.

Disagree with me? Go onto youtube and type in 'Palestine kids TV'. Its all real.

or

Powerful nation? Don't make me laugh, Israel only continues to exist because of US government handouts and military support.
Whilst I sit on the fence regarding Israel-Palestine, this doesn't surprise me; Israel genuinely does not care how they're perceived by non-Israelis and it shows in their actions.

Also, since this is in the religion forum, I'd like to point out how silly this news makes Muslims look who are constantly crying crocodile tears about how the plight of the Palestinians is ignored by Westerners. Whenever a Palestinian so much as stubs his toe it makes the news, whereas many other conflicts and widespread human rights abuses throughout the world rarely do.
Just goes to show how stupid people are! In reality the state of Israel has never attacked any other state, only defended it's shaky existence against it's Arab neighbours, so when the Arabs get their arses kicked, they cry foul Israel. Maybe the British are as Nazi motivated as the Germans. It does not really matter because either the Muslims will inherit the wind or Israel will become another genocide of Muslim peace.
Original post by dozyrosie
Just goes to show how stupid people are! In reality the state of Israel has never attacked any other state, only defended it's shaky existence against it's Arab neighbours, so when the Arabs get their arses kicked, they cry foul Israel. Maybe the British are as Nazi motivated as the Germans. It does not really matter because either the Muslims will inherit the wind or Israel will become another genocide of Muslim peace.

Quite like your interesting interpretation of history.
Israel is the only civilised place in the middle east, and the poor sods are surrounded by people who hate them...
Eh. I like Israel. I am British. I mean the country, the government are a load of *****. But whose isn't?
Israel is a wonderful country, with warm and vibrant inhabitants. They put up with the constant threat of terrorist outrages with good humor. The Jewish people just want to be left alone to do their thing; their neighbours have other plans for them.

[scrollr]:israel:[/scrollr]

[scroll]:israel:[/scroll]

[scrollr]:israel:[/scrollr]
Reply 12
Not really that surprising considering the amount of propaganda surrounding the Jew vs Arab battle royal. Honestly some of the things you hear about that conflict would be hilarious if it weren't so worrying seemingly educated people are falling for it.
Original post by The Gooner
Powerful nation? Don't make me laugh, Israel only continues to exist because of US government handouts and military support.

They seem to regularly kick the arse of their neighbours when they try to invade.....although thankfully Jordanians Egypt grew up. Syria's still uoset they lost the Golan heights and Palestine is just an open sore.

Israeli's females seem to be hotter though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w7i7jjHT4bU
Original post by G8D
I'm indifferent to the middle east in general tbh. Not sure why I should support any other country there.

I do have a fascination with Iran/Persia though, from a historical perspective.

Great people, mired by some truly bat **** crazy political leaders.
Original post by SmallDuck

or

Sad but true. It also doesn't help that the main sources of Palestinian leadership are either corrupt officials (the government of Mahmoud Abbas), or anti-semites that wish to eradicate all jewish people of the face of theearth (Hamas). As much as I despise the state of Israel and its actions on civilians, I find it more and more difficult to support the Palestinians day by day.
I am British. I like Israel
Original post by young_guns
I am British. I like Israel

I'm Spartacus.
i am British and I support Israel over Palestine. Palestinians would mot give a crap about godless kaffir like me so why should we care about them.
Considering there are countless number of Jews, even the ones within Israel, who are protesting against the actions of the Israeli authorities or even the existence of the state of Israel, it is disturbing to see how many TSR members here are supporting Israel. Israel is a Zionist nation that doesn't give a damn about the western world, rather its draining the wealth and power of the western world to fuel its own existence. Israel doesn't care about any of you. In fact they don't care about anyone because it is a Zionist creation that has nothing to do with the real Jews. Israel is only concerned with its own existence and will do anything to exist, that also includes blowing up the bodies of innocent Palestinian kids, toddlers and babies. Since when was it morally correct to target and shoot at children? Disagree with me or not, it's probably not long till the Palestinians are obliterated.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending