The Student Room Group

Are soul mates real?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chocolatesauce
No I don't actually, it won't be the same. I have seen Quite a few long lasting relationships especially within my family, also look around you- have you not see elderly couples who have been together since they were very young. If not it's not my problem lol

Some peope find their soulmates and some people don't.

Of course I have seen old married couples. That doesn't mean they are soul mates. That means they are two people who liked each other enough to get married. It doesn't mean a mystical force brought them together.
Original post by Mankytoes
Of course not, there's no mystical force that cares about your love life. We just naturally have a propensity towards forming strong, monogamous love bonds, but there's many people out there you are capable of making that connection with.

We're not,we are naturally interested in sex with as many sexy women as possible. Monogamy is invented by society to chat nicely but it's just a word, nobody likes monogamy.
Original post by HarryJRussell
Well as the titles says, are soul mates real?

I ask all that reads this because I feel like I incomplete, my life feels like a very big game of hide and seek because I feel like my whole purpose in life is to find my "other half", the half which completes me as edgy as that sounds.

I know others might feel the same way, I think its to do with humans being social beings but is there anyone else here who feels like they are playing the game?

Yes, certain people float your boat, they are hard to find, if you are lucky enough to find one, keep it forever.
Original post by Drewski
No. They're not.

It's fine if you believe something, but don't expect anyone else to when there's no reason to.

You are a pretentious ******** who has no idea to what hes talking about, you're claiming out of body experiences are not different to astral projecting yet you have no knowledge to what they are like.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Lucid dreaming seems amazing,the whole idea of doing or being anything and if almost feeling like reality :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:. I have never heard of astral projection, I shall look it up after I finish writing this post. I wouldn't want to have an out of body experience though...

Back to your question, Honestly I don't know, some people claim to have found their soulmates. I don't know if they exist, I can't say I have found mine or am even close to finding mine...if I find mine then I guess I will be happy to be proved wrong, but right now I most definitely would say they don't exist.

Lucid dreams are better than you think, when your in the dream you become lucid and you are able to do what ever you can think of, you are pretty much god in your dream, I recommend you try it out :smile: and yeah you don't know if they exist until you have evidence to prove they do exist I suppose
Lucid dreams are better than you think, when your in the dream you become lucid and you are able to do what ever you can think of, you are pretty much god in your dream, I recommend you try it out :smile: and yeah you don't know if they exist until you have evidence to prove they do exist I suppose

How do I try it out? I thought they just happened! I didn't know that you could make it happen. Have you had one?
Original post by RoyalMarine
We're not,we are naturally interested in sex with as many sexy women as possible. Monogamy is invented by society to chat nicely but it's just a word, nobody likes monogamy.

Monogamy has been evident in pretty much every human society ever. I'm not saying it's the only system human's are interested in, but it's clearly something we have a propensity for. The reason is pretty clear, human babies are incredibly weak and helpless, so need two people are needed to raise them. I don't even know what you mean by saying it was invented to "chat nicely".

When I was single I liked shagging around as much as most guys, but if you're in love, monogamy isn't that hard. I know that it can feel like "I'd never feel strongly enough about someone to want to be monogamous", but that will probably change at some point. Whether you will actually stay feeling like that forever is the problem...

Original post by awkwardshortguy
Of course I have seen old married couples. That doesn't mean they are soul mates. That means they are two people who liked each other enough to get married. It doesn't mean a mystical force brought them together.

Exactly, my grandparents have been married well over sixty years now, which is pretty cool, but it isn't evidence of magic. I think the whole "destiny" thing kind of cheapens it, like they shouldn't get credit for having a long, successful loving marriage, it's really down to "the universe" or something.
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you ever had an outer body experience?

Have you ever flown a pegasus?
You are a pretentious ******** who has no idea to what hes talking about, you're claiming out of body experiences are not different to astral projecting yet you have no knowledge to what they are like.

You are claiming facts when there are none.

You are claiming things are undeniable truths when there's not a single shred of evidence for them.

I'm not the pretentious one.

You believe things. And that's perfectly fine. But you can't express beliefs as truths.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by awkwardshortguy

Lol being soul mates isn't some magical abracadabra thing and it isn't some force. The whole concept of it is to find someone you love very deeply and settle down with them forever. That's what makes them soul mates, there's nothing mystical about it like you're making it out to be.
I see this as a bit of a Russell's teapot scenario: until I meet/realise I have a soulmate, I've got no particular reason to believe one exists.

This is confused by the fact I've currently got a girlfriend. Is she actually my 'soulmate'? Who knows. So, from that uncertainty I could probably infer that she isn't. Therefore, to believe in such a thing as a 'soulmate' would simply invalidate my current relationship.
I used to believe in soulmates but now I'm less sure. I thought I'd found my soulmate but it all went pear-shaped and I don't think the other person considered me their soulmate. So now I'm not sure what to believe :iiam:

I do like Disney films and the Dawson's Creek interpretation of soulmates :biggrin:
Are souls real?
of course.

but i think people have more than one soul mate, and i also don't think a soul mate has to always be in a romantic sense.
Reply 74
lmao I feel like the typical demographic of this site (14-25) is a little too young to be getting into discussions about ''soul mates''. many people on here have limited experiences with dating let alone love on a spiritual level. the majority of us are still really young so instead of getting stuck in the midst of hypothetical ''what if''s let's just go live our lives and gain experience, I think only then we can have a useful input in such discussions. don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people here can't have a valid opinion on this subject matter but from reading from several different sources, ''soul mates'' are usually believed in by an older demographic as they have experienced a greater kind of love.
Original post by 1501
lmao I feel like the typical demographic of this site (14-25) is a little too young to be getting into discussions about ''soul mates''. many people on here have limited experiences with dating let alone love on a spiritual level. the majority of us are still really young so instead of getting stuck in the midst of hypothetical ''what if''s let's just go live our lives and gain experience, I think only then we can have a useful input in such discussions. don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people here can't have a valid opinion on this subject matter but from reading from several different sources, ''soul mates'' are usually believed in by an older demographic as they have experienced a greater kind of love.

Err Hem , late 30s here ....
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I used to believe in soulmates but now I'm less sure. I thought I'd found my soulmate but it all went pear-shaped and I don't think the other person considered me their soulmate. So now I'm not sure what to believe :iiam:

I do like Disney films and the Dawson's Creek interpretation of soulmates :biggrin:

What is the Dawson's Creek interpretation of soulmates?
Original post by Dr Pesto
What is the Dawson's Creek interpretation of soulmates?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj0RQz__Cfo

This scene is from the last-ever episode of Dawson's Creek. Throughout most of the series, there was a complex love triangle involving the guy speaking in this clip (Guy 1), his best female friend (Girl), and his best male friend (Guy 2). What I really liked was that even though in the end Girl ended up with Guy 2, both Guy 1 and Girl regarded each other as their soulmates, even though they were not romantically or sexually involved with one another. What made them soulmates was the friendship they shared.

As has been mentioned by someone on here, the term 'soulmates' is usually connected to the idea of romantic love. So I liked the fact that Dawson's Creek chose a different mould :yep:
Original post by chocolatesauce
Lol being soul mates isn't some magical abracadabra thing and it isn't some force. The whole concept of it is to find someone you love very deeply and settle down with them forever. That's what makes them soul mates, there's nothing mystical about it like you're making it out to be.

If two people grow old together that makes them two people who have grown old together. Two people who could equally have fallen in love with any number of other people from the 7 billion on Earth under different circumstances. If that is how you define soul mates then everyone has literally millions of these soul mates floating about.
Before you find your SM, you have to be mature inside. IE) really know and be comfortable with who you are. Then you will radiate your true self outwards and your SM will pick up on that.

The relationship will stand a better chance of working out if both if you are mature inside

Quick Reply

Latest