The Student Room Group

Opinions please! Audi RS7 or Merc CLS63?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Most Competitive
At the moment, £98k seems a bit steep compared to the low 80s price tags of the other two. However, let's see if Jeremy Clarkson and co. can justify the price difference on tonight's show. It's definitely a great looking car.

Id get the Audi to be honest. Its 0-60 is remarkable given what it is. And it looks better than the Merc.
Original post by Walkaah
This is actually a really hard decision but I'd go for the RS7 because it looks better and I believe its faster as well. I'd do my best to see if I could take the 'quattro' letters off the grill area as it makes the car look tacky.

When you buy either, fancy giving me a ride? :wink:

Now that someone's mentioned it, I think I'll also have a look at the M6 Gran Coupe on tonight's top gear to see if it's really worth the extra. I wasn't considering it before since it's a little over budget. Otherwise, it looks like the RS7 will be the car for me.

Sure, no problem :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Adipoptosis
Id get the Audi to be honest. Its 0-60 is remarkable given what it is. And it looks better than the Merc.

It's only because of 4WD. If you put xDrive in the M6 then it will be faster to 60 than the RS7, but that's not what M cars are about. Now, the BMW is a little over budget but I'll have a look at it tonight and see if it's worth considering. If not then I'll get the Audi :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Most Competitive
You're right about the power - both of them felt equally fast to drive (apart from the fact that the Audi is a monster off the line!). I've also managed to work out that the Audi does actually look considerably better than the CLS.

I'm definitely leaning towards the RS7 at the moment (it just seems to have more appeal) and it looks like I'll be ordering that on Wednesday unless I have a change of heart.

Plus the Audi has 4WD, which is definitely worth getting. I don't know where abouts you live but ****'s cray in Manchester right now with all the snow they're getting. 4WD will definitely help there.
I've never been in a CLS63 so i cant comment on that but the old model merc C63 507. OH GOD THAT CAR! Its not the quickest saloon i know the M3 and RS4 are quicker but THAT NOISE. AMG really know how to tune an exhaust note. If your looking for something to cruise around the city posing in you cant beat an AMG merc for that lol N/A V8s are the bomb.

EDIT: Just looked it up the 2015 CLS63 has the same problem as the 2015 C63... They have replaced the 6.2 N/A V8 with a 5.5 Twin Turbo... Its just not the same :s-smilie:
Original post by Emily.97
Gosh- how do you afford these cars?!

Because he's richer than you.

You'd think a student in Oxford would be able to figure that out. Or do you go to the other one?
Original post by thisistheend
Because he's richer than you.

You'd think a student in Oxford would be able to figure that out. Or do you go to the other one?

Oo.. Well done, clever come back smarty pants.

Don't understand how a student can be rich unless they have rich parents, and even if they wasn't, how stupid to spend the money on expensive cars that you don't need.
Original post by Emily.97
Oo.. Well done, clever come back smarty pants.

Don't understand how a student can be rich unless they have rich parents, and even if they wasn't, how stupid to spend the money on expensive cars that you don't need.

Thank you. Maybe I should have gone to Oxford instead. Oxford Oxford I mean.

Pussy magnets. Any man is well spoken, intelligent and has a GSOH to babes if they drive a Lamborghini. With his RS7, maybe he's just well spoken, or all of the above to chavettes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CAElite
I've never been in a CLS63 so i cant comment on that but the old model merc C63 507. OH GOD THAT CAR! Its not the quickest saloon i know the M3 and RS4 are quicker but THAT NOISE. AMG really know how to tune an exhaust note. If your looking for something to cruise around the city posing in you cant beat an AMG merc for that lol N/A V8s are the bomb.

EDIT: Just looked it up the 2015 CLS63 has the same problem as the 2015 C63... They have replaced the 6.2 N/A V8 with a 5.5 Twin Turbo... Its just not the same :s-smilie:

+1 because we think alike.

These turbo engines will never be as enjoyable as the naturally aspirated ones, and I definitely agree with you on the C63 507. The engine in that thing is a masterpiece! Fortunately, you can still get a N/A engines with a few cars, such as the RS5. However, last year Audi released a twin-turbo V6 diesel concept for that car, derived from the one that they put in the SQ5. This means that the 2016 RS5 will have a diesel engine! Downsizing sucks! :frown:

At the end of the day, you can only have what's available.
Original post by thisistheend
Thank you. Maybe I should have gone to Oxford instead. Oxford Oxford I mean.

Pussy magnets. Any man is well spoken, intelligent and has a GSOH to babes if they drive a Lamborghini. With his RS7, maybe he's just well spoken, or all of the above to chavettes.

If I wanted to show off then I could have an Aston Martin V8 Vantage or an Audi R8 V8 for a similar price. However, the RS7 can eat those cars for breakfast. The good thing for me is that it is not only more practical, but is also far more discreet than those two. In other words, it's a much weaker "pussy magnet" than the aforementioned cars.
(edited 9 years ago)
Although I have no knowledge as to how these cars drive (I can't drive), I would go for the RS7 as I find the CLS63 too much of a 'statement' car and is less practical in reality. However, that said (and others have said this too) there are some Beemers in the sort of range which are 'better' than these two.
More to the point however, how can someone of near to our age be able to afford these cars? Tell us your secrets.....
Reply 31
try not to get a car that screams "compensating for other short-comings"
Reply 32
Road test an E63 and C63 and see if you still want an S7/CLS63 I imagine you want.

Edit: N/A better than turbo? :confused: Said no one ever....
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by VdoubleU
Road test an E63 and C63 and see if you still want an S7/CLS63 I imagine you want.

Edit: N/A better than turbo? :confused: Said no one ever....

Errr actually half the folks in this thread just said that...

Turbos are great on little four pots or oil burners as they are needed to get the torque up( or in the case of oil burners, spread it further across the rev range) but on a big V8s displacement is king.

Also I doubt that V6 T-Turbo oil burner will ever be released as the rs6's primary engine... Although I would be very interested if they did. VAG TDIs are great. Can't wait for the R8 V10 TDI if it ever gets out of the concept stages.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending