The Student Room Group

We don't want a coalition with the SNP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
X

Isn't it fascinating that Conservatives who were just last year advocating for union now implying that somehow the Scots are illegitimate and not worthy of having an equal say in the governance of this United Kingdom

In any case, if Labour doesn't attain a majority, it won't undertake a coalition with the SNP. It will simply introduce its bills onto the floor of the commons and dare the SNP to vote with the Tories and then try explaining that to their constituents
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Observatory
Their current proposal is to abolish the nuclear deterrent, a disastrous decision with world-historical consequences, basically just as part of a culture war with England. I actually would *prefer* that they left at that point, provided we kept the base until the submarines could be moved.

The SNP is in a difficult position though.

The scuttlebutt in Labour circles is that if they fall short of a majority and the SNP hold the balance of power, they will prefer to rule as a minority government.

They will introduce centre-left measures in bills onto the floor of the house, and dare the SNP to vote with the Tories to reject them. The SNP will then have to try to explain why they voted down centre-left measures to their constituents. In fact, that arrangement could well see the SNP wedged most effectively
Original post by young_guns
Isn't it fascinating that Conservatives who were just last year advocating for union now implying that somehow the Scots are illegitimate and not worthy of having an equal say in the governance of this United Kingdom

Isn't it funny how they're wanting to push them back down to equal governance; if they truly wanted to be "equal" they would either not want power devolved, or they would happily keep their nose out of business that does not concern them. Should my parish council at home have any say on how my parish council at uni spending its money? Of course not.
Should my parish council at home have any say on how my parish council at uni spending its money? Of course not.

The obvious distinction being that as long as we have one United Kingdom, MPs have a right to cast a vote on any matter. That is how our political system is structured.

If a party wants to change it, they should put English devolution into their manifesto.

Interestingly, the Tories have never indicated any objection to having Lib Dem Scots MPs voting on English matters in the Commons, and are only raising it now that base political calculation beckons. It's hypocrisy at its finest and it stinks

The Tories should put up or shut up; put English devolution in their manifesto, or accept the constitution as it is
(edited 9 years ago)
The obvious distinction being that as long as we have one United Kingdom, MPs have a right to cast a vote on any matter. That is how our political system is structured.

If a party wants to change it, they should put English devolution into their manifesto.

Interestingly, the Tories have never indicated any objection to having Lib Dem Scots MPs voting on English matters in the Commons, and are only raising it now that base political calculation beckons. It's hypocrisy at its finest and it stinks

The Tories should put up or shut up; put English devolution in their manifesto, or accept the constitution as it is

Well, English votes for English laws is basically English devolution with a more impactful name...
What is it saying, really, "If power has been devolved to one part of the union then it should be equivalently devolved to the rest as a whole"
Well, English votes for English laws is basically English devolution with a more impactful name...

It's not English devolution. English devolution would be the creation of an English parliament (or regional parliaments). The reason the Tories don't want that is because they calculate EVEL would make them more likely to win government.

Of course it's pretty obnoxious coming from a government that has relied on Scottish MPs for this entire parliament.

It's also notable that the government seems to want to avoid talking about the economy, and so it obsesses over nonsense like who will be in the debates and smearing Labour as being a confederate of Sinn Fein. Of course this will get harder to do the closer we get to polling day
(edited 9 years ago)
The SNP is in a difficult position though.

The scuttlebutt in Labour circles is that if they fall short of a majority and the SNP hold the balance of power, they will prefer to rule as a minority government.

They will introduce centre-left measures in bills onto the floor of the house, and dare the SNP to vote with the Tories to reject them. The SNP will then have to try to explain why they voted down centre-left measures to their constituents. In fact, that arrangement could well see the SNP wedged most effectively

I think this is probably the best option Labour would have but I'm not sure Ed Miliband is the man to do it.
Original post by Observatory
I think this is probably the best option Labour would have but I'm not sure Ed Miliband is the man to do it.

If Labour does win the election, it would appear the electorate has fairly clearly rejected your opinion of Miliband.

Given you're not a Labour voter, does your opinion really matter? I don't mean that in a dismissive way, it would be the same way that a Labour supporter's view of who the Conservatives should put up for ministerial positions is pretty irrelevant
If Labour does win the election, it would appear the electorate has fairly clearly rejected your opinion of Miliband.

Given you're not a Labour voter, does your opinion really matter? I don't mean that in a dismissive way, it would be the same way that a Labour supporter's view of who the Conservatives should put up for ministerial positions is pretty irrelevant.
You misunderstand - I think Miliband would prefer the security of a formal coalition and not mind the wider consequences for the country of giving in to the SNP's demands.
It's not English devolution. English devolution would be the creation of an English parliament (or regional parliaments). The reason the Tories don't want that is because they calculate EVEL would make them more likely to win government.

So effectively restricting those who can vote to being just English (and Welsh as applicable) MPs isn't effectively setting up an English Parliament?

Of course it's pretty obnoxious coming from a government that has relied on Scottish MPs for this entire parliament.

Have they? Last I checked 301+57-12=351>325
i.e. even with the exclusion of the Scottish MPs they still had a majority, but then again, we can go even further, 351>296, upon exclusion of Scotland entirely they held a majority of 110 with the lib dems and a majority of 8 even without them; and a majority of 52 if you only exclude the lid dem and conservative Scottish MPs and keep the rest

It's also notable that the government seems to want to avoid talking about the economy, and so it obsesses over nonsense like who will be in the debates and smearing Labour as being a confederate of Sinn Fein. Of course this will get harder to do the closer we get to polling day

I'm inclined to say "interesting conclusion" since it's so different to the conclusions of those paid to think about these things.
Not sure what the issue is. It's politics pure and simple. Conservatives went in with Lib Dems, and haven't ruled out a coalition with UKIP.

I expect a Labour SNP coalition for a year before another election is called.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Other polls show different results, but I'm still not following why this is relevant.

I've yet to see one though other that CND comissioned polls.

Trident is a non issue. Most people may have an opinion on the issue but as they have to bus in rent a mob to Faslane from all over the UK just to get 3 digit crowds, it's hardly ground breaking.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
Not sure what the issue is. It's politics pure and simple. Conservatives went in with Lib Dems, and haven't ruled out a coalition with UKIP.

You know, that whole "why should they get a say when it doesn't concern them" business, and that nobody really likes the SNP south of the border

I expect a Labour SNP coalition for a year before another election is called.

Getting found fix term parliament act, how?
You know, that whole "why should they get a say when it doesn't concern them" business, and that nobody really likes the SNP south of the border

Getting found fix term parliament act, how?

They're a UK party.

Parliament is sovereign and no act of Parliament can bind a future one.
All it takes is a 50%+1 Majority to repeal the act and call a new election.
Original post by Bornblue
They're a UK party.

So is Sinn Fein, I doubt you will find many people wanting them to call shots. Being a "UK" party, by which I assume you mean "they sit in Westminster" is irrelevant to the population as a whole. The population as a whole doesn't seem to like the SNP and would not approve of them having power; they strive for one of two things: independence, or the perks of independence+a ton of cash and protection from the rest of the country.

Parliament is sovereign and no act of Parliament can bind a future one.
All it takes is a 50%+1 Majority to repeal the act and call a new election.

Well, as things stand there needs to be a VONC in the government without a vote of confidence within 2 weeks, or a two thirds of the house agree on an early election, and I see neither happening, and I see that 2/3 being more likely than it being repealed, after this election at least.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Never underestimate how much labour will screw over its voters for short term gain.

Just its voters?

More like the entire ****ing country

(unless you're a scummy immigrant who arrived here to leech, a single teenage Mum whose hobbies include popping out kids, or the work shy)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending