The Student Room Group

Moderation statistics :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimbo1234
How so? They have just said "No. Don't want to start a fight", implying that the stats would certainly create one (which is pretty damning). As others have pointed out, if senior management in a company did this, the company wouldn't last long.

I think they've done a remarkable job of treating OP's arguments with exactly the degree of respect they deserve. :smile:
This thread is just becoming hilarious and pathetic.
Someone asks for some basic numbers and stats which most other forums present.

Do they? I don't know of any forum that does.
This thread is just becoming hilarious and pathetic.
Someone asks for some basic numbers and stats which most other forums present. The result? Mods try to deny basic facts and desperately scrounge for a reason not to. Because that doesn't make the moderation look terrible at all :facepalm:

I've asked twice, but I've yet to be given an example of the many other forums that offer this data...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superwolf
I think they've done a remarkable job of treating OP's arguments with exactly the degree of respect they deserve. :smile:

That's a crap excuse of a reply :tongue: Explain how their points are valid etc. Just saying "It's good" is why I asked for you to expand on it.

Original post by OU Student
Do they? I don't know of any forum that does.

Yup, many do. I guess we just go on different forums.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've asked twice, but I've yet to be given an example of the many other forums that offer this data...

A lot of PC forums will if you ask mods etc. But why do you need others to do it? You imply that because you think others don't, then it makes what you do acceptable and right. Well that's a big old fallacy isn't it.
That's a crap excuse of a reply :tongue: Explain how their points are valid etc. Just saying "It's good" is why I asked for you to expand on it.

I thought it was near-perfectly phrased, and thoroughly apposite. :proud:

I shall repeat myself. They treated OP's arguments with exactly the degree of respect they deserve.

I don't think I can express myself any more clearly without being carded for offensiveness. :teehee:
Everyone has mentioned the benefits, and would it really be all that hard or long to do? Of course not. It would make people contend moderation less,

If you wanted useful stats, yes it would be - cards issued per month is meaningless without context. I remember a night, not long after I started, where there was an invasion from 4chan, resulting in a good couple of dozen new members being banned, but not before some had managed to get a few bits of illegal material posted on here. If you look at that months cards, you see 24 bans issued on one night: without the context given above, what does that actually tell you?

You'd need the reasons for each card - and I'm not talking about the generic "please don't make offensive posts" card comments, because that could cover anything from inciting hatred/calling for violence against black people to just calling another member a bit of a pillock. To do that, you either need to make card comments specific to each warning, or have the mods write up a reason for each card for the reports.

Likewise overturning cards - there's no reason for it being reversed saved - it could be anything from a card being unjust to a new mod learning how to use the warning system on a set of dupe accounts.

Without context, the stats mean nothing, and the context isn't saved in the database, that requires the mods, SLs and CT to sit down and produce it - which requires a lot of time.
Reply 166
Original post by Mad Vlad
I think the fact that you haven't been black carded yet for wasting everyone's time here over something that really does not matter is pretty indicative of the mods not being the corrupt biased secret police-like villains that you're making them out to be.

Equals ****ing pipe.

Because giving a good well rounded argument is wasting time...? I am now seriously questioning the validity of you being a 28 year old manager...
Reply 167
Original post by Roving Fish
Actually a lot of subreddit communities have a massive issue with downvotes - with some even removing them. I was just listening to a panel of community managers for CMAD talk about self-moderation and upvotes/downvotes - one guy said explicitly not to do it.

Upvotes and downvotes are great in theory, but they don't really work on TSR - especially in the debate forums as a lot of discussion on TSR is subjective. This means that the pos/neg rep would probably end up balancing out anyway and there's no point in that. If people are being negged all the time then it discourages them from posting and contributing to discussions, just because their opinion is unpopular to some. The current system allows users to give a thumbs up 'you're making a good post' to the poster, it also allows other users to see if it's a quality post in the eyes of others.

Post rep is often one of the first removed part of the forum software - saying this as a forum admin of another website.

Additionally - the amount of work you've suggested throughout the thread is stupid. I have enough going on to not have to deal with a mass of paperwork just to be more 'transparent' to the wider community - a lot of which would probably not even care. We have a place where you can appeal stuff and quite simply if you don't want cards then don't break the rules. Frankly read your post and consider whether you should hit that submit button.

Care to explain how something which would be almost entirely automated is a "stupid" workload or yet again another person making wild claims about workload of systems they don't actually understand? If you look at how the report system works, all the data already exists and as a moderator you wouldn't have to do anything.

Original post by The_Internet
Considering you work for a "multi million pound" organization you should be well aware of the positive correlation with beaurocracy and the size of a company ie: the bigger it is the longer things take to get done

But even at a small company like tsr there is still a huge amount of red tape because there are always risks that you don't want to have..

Nope - the company I work for isn't ****. Considering the size of TSR, then it really shouldn't be a long winded bureaucratic process.
Original post by geoking
Considering reddit has a reputation system with up and downvotes and dwarfs TSR, I feel that the CT are using rather specious reasoning.

Depends on what you're comparing against. Reddit is a global website, TSR is to date intentionally only focussed on the UK. TSR's UK audience is bigger than reddits. Admittedly reddit's global audience is huge.
Everyone has mentioned the benefits, and would it really be all that hard or long to do? Of course not. It would make people contend moderation less,

But thinking about it, you mods know there is a problem. The entire moderation technique has changed (cars over warning points) thus there was clearly an issue with moderation. Hows the new system working out? Maybe some active input from the community would help seeing that they are the ones you moderate after all.

Oh right, that is far too good an idea isn't it.

Everyone being geoking? The only benefit given so far seems to be transparency, or variations on that. The point isn't whether it would take long first and foremost, it's whether it would actually be worth doing - and no-one, as far as I can see, has addressed the issue that the stats would be completely meaningless unless you could see AAM and/or everyone's community record.

The changeover to cards doesn't mean there was a problem before, it just means this new system offered some benefit or improvement that the old one didn't.

You want to give feedback/input? Great, go ahead, no-one is saying you shouldn't. Hey, there's even a section for it - the one this thread is in, in fact.
Reply 170
Original post by shadowdweller
Everyone being geoking? The only benefit given so far seems to be transparency, or variations on that. The point isn't whether it would take long first and foremost, it's whether it would actually be worth doing - and no-one, as far as I can see, has addressed the issue that the stats would be completely meaningless unless you could see AAM and/or everyone's community record.

The changeover to cards doesn't mean there was a problem before, it just means this new system offered some benefit or improvement that the old one didn't.

You want to give feedback/input? Great, go ahead, no-one is saying you shouldn't. Hey, there's even a section for it - the one this thread is in, in fact.

:facepalm:

Which part of "you can bring back as much or as little data as you want" are people not understanding? The data is all there, in a thing called a database separated into smaller things called tables. A statement in a language called SQL can extract all of this information, whether it's just a basic summary, or more detailed explanations - the ones that people get issued on their reports.

The fact that you lot are all saying "Stats are useless, therefore we don't need to change anything" shows a very, very close minded attitude and you lot are most certainly not trying to think about how you could improve transparency at all.
Original post by geoking

Which part of "you can bring back as much or as little data as you want" are people not understanding? The data is all there, in a thing called a database separated into smaller things called tables. A statement in a language called SQL can extract all of this information, whether it's just a basic summary, or more detailed explanations - the ones that people get issued on their reports.

The fact that you lot are all saying "Stats are useless, therefore we don't need to change anything" shows a very, very close minded attitude and you lot are most certainly not trying to think about how you could improve transparency at all.

You're completely missing the point. I'm not saying it's not possible, and I'm well aware of how data is stored and queried :rolleyes:

What I'm asking you is how do you propose they mean anything, without you being given access to people's community records, the rule breaking posts themselves, or the AAM where the card was discussed?

You could be told how many cards were issued, how many were reversed, how many people were banned etc etc, but that's not the point at all. Why would this in it's own right be remotely meaningful information, and not just a bunch of mildly interesting stats?
Original post by geoking

No-one is saying that stats are useless, therefore nothing needs changing - what we're saying is that without context, the stats are pretty meaningless: so you've got an option: either everything gets reproduced (Defeating the point of removing it in the first place) or the mods produce a load of paperwork to give that context (meaning it's not a quick process) - and as yet, neither you or anyone supporting this proposal has come up with a solution to that.
Reply 173
You're completely missing the point. I'm not saying it's not possible, and I'm well aware of how data is stored and queried :rolleyes:

What I'm asking you is how do you propose they mean anything, without you being given access to people's community records, the rule breaking posts themselves, or the AAM where the card was discussed?

You could be told how many cards were issued, how many were reversed, how many people were banned etc etc, but that's not the point at all. Why would this in it's own right be remotely meaningful information, and not just a bunch of mildly interesting stats?

How about:
Card Issued | Offense | Explanation | Date

And at the end have a summary that includes totals etc.

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No-one is saying that stats are useless, therefore nothing needs changing - what we're saying is that without context, the stats are pretty meaningless: so you've got an option: either everything gets reproduced (Defeating the point of removing it in the first place) or the mods produce a load of paperwork to give that context (meaning it's not a quick process) - and as yet, neither you or anyone supporting this proposal has come up with a solution to that.

See above. I don't see why "everything" would be reproduced....What's your logic behind that?:confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by geoking
How about:

Unless you're shown the post also, surely that doesn't really clarify anything?
Original post by geoking
How about:

See above. I don't see why "everything" would be reproduced....What's your logic behind that?:confused:

So then you need the paperwork doing to produce the explanations if you want anything you can really draw info from (if you want to propose changes to for instance what is considered offensive, you need what was seen as offensive, not just the card comment "Don't make offensive posts"). You'd need to reproduce the rule-breaking bits in part at least if you want to draw any conclusions about the moderation standards - say in that you see 8 card issued in quick succession for offensiveness: without the context you don't know whether that's the mods being too trigger happy in calling things offensive, or an increase in people being genuinely offensive.
Reply 176
Unless you're shown the post also, surely that doesn't really clarify anything?

Okay well at least we've got ideas rolling, how about:

Card Issued | Offense | Explanation | Date | Contested | Overturned
Yellow Bullying Blah 200BC Yes No
Reply 177
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
So then you need the paperwork doing to produce the explanations if you want anything you can really draw info from (if you want to propose changes to for instance what is considered offensive, you need what was seen as offensive, not just the card comment "Don't make offensive posts"). You'd need to reproduce the rule-breaking bits in part at least if you want to draw any conclusions about the moderation standards - say in that you see 8 card issued in quick succession for offensiveness: without the context you don't know whether that's the mods being too trigger happy in calling things offensive, or an increase in people being genuinely offensive.

No you wouldn't - in the cases where the default "keep tsr friendly" has been removed, you put in the filler instead into the explanation. Think of it as a global, nameless report history done monthly into a lovely table with pretty graphs and the like.
Original post by geoking
Okay well at least we've got ideas rolling, how about:

Card Issued | Offense | Explanation | Date | Contested | Overturned
Yellow Bullying Blah 200BC Yes No

So say 20% of the cards were contested, but only 5% overturned. What use is that data? You have no idea what the post was still, nor the point of discussion as to whether it should be reversed or not.

The percentage of cards contested isn't an indication of poor modding, nor is the number overturned, unless they're both given some context and meaning.
Reply 179
So say 20% of the cards were contested, but only 5% overturned. What use is that data? You have no idea what the post was still, nor the point of discussion as to whether it should be reversed or not.

The percentage of cards contested isn't an indication of poor modding, nor is the number overturned, unless they're both given some context and meaning.

So clearly you're problem is with the notion of showing the cards overturned. And yes, it IS unquestionably a sign of poor moderation if contested cards is high for ambiguous topics like offensiveness (something TSR has a problematic focus on) but with a low reversal rate. Moderation is subjective, therefore this should be reflected. If the stats don't show this, then clearly there's something amiss with attitudes towards moderation and being humble.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending