The Student Room Group

Oxford PGCE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yh i dnt think the pgce interviews are as tricky as the undergraduate ones they wont ask you a question in Aramaic or anything like that lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LydzPLG
Yh i dnt think the pgce interviews are as tricky as the undergraduate ones they wont ask you a question in Aramaic or anything like that lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha good to know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by stefinka
I will be living at college so I guess for me the main thing is that there is nice accommodation!

Original post by LydzPLG
Yeah i will most likely be living at a college too

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not exactly your choice...
Original post by LydzPLG
X

I still don't know how many students St Stephen's House has, but I found that they've admitted 21 taught postgraduates last year.

Considering the fact that PGCEs are all one-year courses, it means this cohort is the maximum possible number of it. They're a PPH so the majority will not be PGCEs - so perhaps 3-5 students?

Still cannot see how that'd make them one of the biggest PGCE communities, but I guess if they're all from religious studies it's not too bad.
Reply 44
Original post by clh_hilary
That's not exactly your choice...

How so? If you apply early enough most places can definitely offer you a place in graduate accommodation by the looks of it... Also as a PGCE I can imagine that not worrying about bills/the general stress of living in a student house will make the whole experience a lot more relaxing!

And with regards to St Stephens House, I am sure that LydzPLG saw the same information as I did on their own website, claiming to have the biggest PGCE community. Whether we choose to believe this is surely up to us.
Original post by stefinka
How so? If you apply early enough most places can definitely offer you a place in graduate accommodation by the looks of it... Also as a PGCE I can imagine that not worrying about bills/the general stress of living in a student house will make the whole experience a lot more relaxing!

And with regards to St Stephens House, I am sure that LydzPLG saw the same information as I did on their own website, claiming to have the biggest PGCE community. Whether we choose to believe this is surely up to us.

Not really because many colleges, if not all of them, only start the ballot in June or so; and 'graduate accommodation' is another thing altogether. They are university-maintained and are not close to colleges, they also start allocating them only in June or so.

Yes, it's on their website. I'm merely stating the fact that they only admitted 21 graduates last year. There cannot be existing PGCE students so 21 is the maximum amount of PGCEs they could've gotten. Nevertheless, with it being a PPH, it'd be highly unlikely that they won't have mostly theology students, therefore there cannot be more than 3-5 PGCEs. Whether that's 'one of the biggest communities' depends on if you refer only to 'one of the biggest communities for religious studies PGCEs', but even that's debatable.
Reply 46
Actually most colleges have college owned graduate accommodation :smile: but thank you for your input anyway!
Reply 47
I spoke to St. Stephens today and they told me that there is usually about 18-19 PGCE students across all of the disciplines and this year out of the 18 only 5 were non residential. I am going to ring a few other colleges later.
Reply 48
Kellog has around 20 PGCE Students and Merton does not accept any PGCE students at all. I am going to keep researching!
Got the email today! I'm going to Oxford!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by JessDola92
Got the email today! I'm going to Oxford!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay congratulations! Now its just the college choice agony! Any thoughts on where you might choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LydzPLG
Yay congratulations! Now its just the college choice agony! Any thoughts on where you might choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm thinking Keble, Magdalen or Blackfriars! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Thanks! I'm thinking Keble, Magdalen or Blackfriars! What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ye I'm thinking either Keble, Kellog or Green Templeton. I looked into Magdalen but i think they only take one PGCE student and I didn't want to be alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, So I have an interview at Oxford University next week friday for a PGCE in secondary RE and I was just wondering if I could get some help.

1) Can anyone help me a little bit and give me some pointers of some dos and Don'ts for the interview.

2) I have to prepare an A4 sheet before the interview for a Year 7 class on either jesus or Buddha, and I needed help to know from personal experience which religious figure do you guys think is easier for a year 7 student to understand?

Thank you for reading, any help will be appreciated
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Simply93
Hey guys, So I have an interview at Oxford University next week friday for a PGCE in secondary RE and I was just wondering if I could get some help.

1) Can anyone help me a little bit and give me some pointers of some dos and Don'ts for the interview.

2) I have to prepare an A4 sheet before the interview for a Year 7 class on either jesus or Buddha, and I needed help to know from personal experience which religious figure do you guys think is easier for a year 7 student to understand?

Thank you for reading, any help will be appreciated

Hi! I had my interview last Monday for PGCE RE. It was so relaxed, I had a brilliant day and found out yesterday that I've got a place!

I know it's cliche but be yourself! I even made them laugh and that worked for me! They will ask a lot about your school experience, what you learnt from it and things like that. Also why you want to teach and why RE!

The lesson activity, do whichever you feel more comfortable with. I did mine on the Buddha and broke it down into short activities. Do some research on TES for example lessons and things like that if you're stuck for ideas.

Hope this is helpful and good luck! Don't hesitate to message me if you need anything else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LydzPLG
Ye I'm thinking either Keble, Kellog or Green Templeton. I looked into Magdalen but i think they only take one PGCE student and I didn't want to be alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh no! Yeah I definitely don't want to be alone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I had my interview last Monday for PGCE RE. It was so relaxed, I had a brilliant day and found out yesterday that I've got a place!

I know it's cliche but be yourself! I even made them laugh and that worked for me! They will ask a lot about your school experience, what you learnt from it and things like that. Also why you want to teach and why RE!

The lesson activity, do whichever you feel more comfortable with. I did mine on the Buddha and broke it down into short activities. Do some research on TES for example lessons and things like that if you're stuck for ideas.

Hope this is helpful and good luck! Don't hesitate to message me if you need anything else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thank you for your reply, I wanted to ask, How many people would I be doing the activity in front of and how long will the actitivty be approximately?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also I know that 2 written tasks will be part of the interview, can you tell me something about what they're like?

Thank you by the way for the help
Original post by Simply93
Also I know that 2 written tasks will be part of the interview, can you tell me something about what they're like?

Thank you by the way for the help

You don't have to do the activity on the day, you just have to hand in the sheet at your interview!

We only did one written task while we were there (even though the email said 2 for me as well). It was about the aims and purposes of RE in the 21st century.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Ended up applying for St. Hugh's! Fingers crossed i get a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending